Anyone able to exercise with a permenant injury?

Options
Im so frustrated. I *want* to exercise, but when I do I hurt so bad I just want to cry. I have permenant damage in my back resulting from a horseback riding accident in 2002. I broke three vertebrae and now I pretty much live in pain. Surgery is an option, but not something I can do anytime soon with 4 children, two of which are 3 and 3 months old.

Anyway, I dont know what I can do to help this get easier. A trainer isnt really an option financially, and I dont have regular care for my kiddos. I tried 30DS and gave up after 3 days. Any thoughts or ideas? Im losing well, but I know it would be better if I could do something in addition to diet. Not to mention, I just had a baby 3 months ago....want to firm up.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Replies

• DarthNox
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your injury :( I know this isn't the same, but I, too, am living in constant pain and trying to get healthy. I've had 9 knee surgeries (right knee), with a partial knee replacement in June 2011. I'm not allowed to run, jog, etc, and am in constant pain (hasn't done much). I have a treadmill (old and beatup, but works!) that I walk on every day, even if it's just a slow 2.0mph. I don't know if it will be too much for you, but maybe some slow walking for short periods of time will help? Don't try and push yourself too hard, too fast. Any workout is a good workout, remember that :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Would insurance possibly cover physical therapy? That might be a way to get some safe exercise in.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Darth. I do need to remember that. It just stinks to be stuck this way and not have the benefit of any relief other than surgery or heavy meds. Im currently nursing, so not taking anything at all, and my pain is just getting worse by the day it seems. :( I was a week out from having a spinal cord stimulator implanted when I found out I was pregnant this time. LOL

Im hoping too, getting some of this weight off will help with the pain (crossing fingers). Its hard with 4 kiddos and no help other than my DH, who majorly helps....but during the day he's gotta work.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    How about a handbike?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Im so frustrated. I *want* to exercise, but when I do I hurt so bad I just want to cry. I have permenant damage in my back resulting from a horseback riding accident in 2002. I broke three vertebrae and now I pretty much live in pain. Surgery is an option, but not something I can do anytime soon with 4 children, two of which are 3 and 3 months old.

Anyway, I dont know what I can do to help this get easier. A trainer isnt really an option financially, and I dont have regular care for my kiddos. I tried 30DS and gave up after 3 days. Any thoughts or ideas? Im losing well, but I know it would be better if I could do something in addition to diet. Not to mention, I just had a baby 3 months ago....want to firm up.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Plain and simple-- ASK YOUR DOCTOR. with a serious injury, you want to be very very careful before starting any exercise program as you can make the bad into very very much worse. It's easy to change a slightly bulging disk into a ruptured disk through dumb exercising.
  • mkromer
    Options
    I played volleyball while in highschool and managed to herniated 2 discs in the process. I have built myself up much higher than I used to be, I now can run, where as before I could barely work out. Try and work out in the pool, party of my physical therapy was working out in a pool, I can message you some of the exercises I did if you're interested! Good luck!!
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Def. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends!

I too have a chronic injury. I have little to no cartilidge left in my right ankle. I just do what I can and try different things to see what will help.
  • godiva99
    Options
    I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you're living in such pain. I can't imagine how hard it must be to function with 4 kiddos, including a newborn.

I did have a friend who suffered some spinal injury in a car accident. DOn't remember how bad it was for him, but he too was offered to either have surgery or live with the pain. Instead, he gave water physical therapy a try and not only did it help him heal faster, but he lost weight and toned very nicely. I don't know if you have access to a local pool or therapists that actually operate that method, but it's something worth looking into.

If you're able to get into PT, do you have anyone from your church group, famiily friends or close neighbors that would help watch the kiddos? Don't know if you're in a position to, but perhaps a paid babysitter?

Either way, I hope you find something that helps you feel better...Happy mommy = happy children