Any Other Guys Take Fitness Classes...?

Options
I am currently taking a few cardio classes at the gym. In one class it is me and one other guy --- but the other classes that I am in, I am the only guy. Anyone else brave enough to take similar classes? Piloxing (pilates and boxing), kick boxing, fit camp fusion, i-burn...

All of these classes are pretty intense - and I am not sure why guys shy away from them. I am definitely seeing results since I started them...

So are you a guy that's in a fitness class with mostly women?

If you're a guy and wanna add another "class taker" to your ranks - feel free to add me!

Replies

• _darrencohen
    _darrencohen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been taking spin classes for about a month and love it. I have been doing 2-3 a week, and would say it's 90% female.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have been taking spin classes for about a month and love it. I have been doing 2-3 a week, and would say it's 90% female.

I think these classes are an awesome way to keep cardio interesting... and they use a lot of weights most classes and you get to pick how heavy you work with.

And I definitely have had muscles (inner thighs, outer thighs and glutes) hurt the first few weeks that I never got on machines in the gym.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We only have one guy in my bootcamp class other than the instructor. He tries to get guys to go, but when I've seen them show up, they expect it to be a sissy workout and are quite surprised when it's not. Every exercise is full body, with weights, body weight or resistance bands. I've actually seen guys come in one time & one time only and say 'whew, i thought i was in shape until now' and never show up again. Most guys I talk to aren't interested in cardio at all..... wonder why?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I always wonder why there are like NO dudes in any of the classes I take. Ok, I get that guys aren't really into hot yoga (although there are about 3 guys that are in there religiously) but the cardio kickboxing class I take is no joke. This guy was in my class last week, who appeared to be in pretty good shape, about my age, and he was huffing and puffing and pouring sweat just like the rest of us.

I do find that there are a lot more guys in the strength training classes at my gym though. I'd like to take one of those but #1 they're not usually convenient for me and #2 I won't lie, I'm kinda scurred.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have done Pillates (sp?) classes I beleive there where 2 other guys out of a class of 20+.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There are usually at least a coulple of men in the classes I take at my gym. There are even some men in the evening zumba classes. I think the men that go to classes full of mostly women are awesome!! My hats off to you!
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    I've wanted to do the spinning classes at my gym but I hear they are crazy intense and I don't think I can handle that.. So props to the ladies that do.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    We only have one guy in my bootcamp class other than the instructor. He tries to get guys to go, but when I've seen them show up, they expect it to be a sissy workout and are quite surprised when it's not. Every exercise is full body, with weights, body weight or resistance bands. I've actually seen guys come in one time & one time only and say 'whew, i thought i was in shape until now' and never show up again. Most guys I talk to aren't interested in cardio at all..... wonder why?
    I always wonder why there are like NO dudes in any of the classes I take. Ok, I get that guys aren't really into hot yoga (although there are about 3 guys that are in there religiously) but the cardio kickboxing class I take is no joke. This guy was in my class last week, who appeared to be in pretty good shape, about my age, and he was huffing and puffing and pouring sweat just like the rest of us.

I do find that there are a lot more guys in the strength training classes at my gym though. I'd like to take one of those but #1 they're not usually convenient for me and #2 I won't lie, I'm kinda scurred.

Where I go - it's just aerobic type workouts - and those classes are intense. I was scared to go to the classes at first also - but now I am the "teachers pet" in each of them.

I am 3 weeks in and the only other guy that does Fit Camp complimented me and told me I was getting up to "beast" status. lol.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The two gyms I have belonged to (current one included) are the same--cardio classes sprinkled with only a few men. The classes are intense, and most of them are as hard as you make them. I think its awesome when guys are in the class. I think there are (very incorrect) notions out there that these classes are not as hard/don't produce the same results as pumping iron in the weight room. Good for you for going to classes!:wink:
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    No I don't but only because I can't afford to. I do have 5 of Jillian Michaels DVD's though and these are aimed more at women - or they're advertised more for women. The 'burn fat boost metabolism' one also has kick boxing in it which I just love. If I had the money to do classes like that I definitely would!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I take spin classes anywhere from 1-3 days a week. I use it to cross train so my legs don't get too tired from running all the time. It doesn't hurt that the classes are 90% female and most are pretty easy on the eyes. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i took a power yoga class last friday and loved it. a nice big stretch, focused on form, and my teacher even complimented me at the end. she said that for a first timer, i needed no form correction.

except the one legged stuff at the end. killer.

i wasn't even the only guy there. Their were two others.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been taking spin classes now for almost 6-months and have seen a slight increase in the number of guys coming in, though it's still mostly women. To shake up my cardio routine and I also wanted to try something new ... I started taking a Cardio-Kickboxing class once a week at night w/ my wife. There are few other guys in the class and I'm working on getting a few more guys to join me.

I did try Zumba once and lasted about 2 minutes - That was definitely NOT for me !!!!

**My next big gender-barrier of excerise to break into is Bikram Yoga. A friend at my gym keeps talking about it and the benefits it provides. Personally, I think he's tired of being the only guy there**

Good Luck !!!!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    There are usually at least a coulple of men in the classes I take at my gym. There are even some men in the evening zumba classes. I think the men that go to classes full of mostly women are awesome!! My hats off to you!

I really don't mind being the token guy in the class... but the teachers have a field day when I refuse to do some of the "ballerina" looking moves. haha.

Fit Camp Fusion is the most intense and my favorite! I love being sore afterwards!
  • _darrencohen
    _darrencohen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Best part of spin is that you set your own baseline and work off of that. It's not a competition, but having people around you is great motivation.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    Just do it! Best part of spin is that you set your own baseline and work off of that. It's not a competition, but having people around you is great motivation.

And another perk is - a lot of these classes teach balance and form - so it has actually helped me with my strength training/weight lifting afterwards! When they want you to stand on one leg and do all sorts of moves - it really helps! lol.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at the Y on Wednesday's and often I am the only guy there. The last few weeks there has been one other guy who has become a Wednesday regular, but its usually just me and him in a class full of women.

I only did spinning once, but I believe I was the only guy in there as well.

It was weird at first, but now the instructors know me and they talk to me and so I feel like i'm "part of the class" and not an outsider.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I do! I do lots of classes. Sometimes I'm the only one but usually there's at least a few 'regulars'. It was intimidating at first but now I dont really care. I do spinning 3-4X/week, a boot camp type class 2X/week, and occasionally kickboxing (but they changed the time so its harder to make it there). Three of those classes are also followed by a 15 min Core class. Heck, I even tried one of my wife's Zumba classes recently - me and 27 ladies - lol! Have done yoga a few times but the gal is an extremist and I cant tolerate her style, plus they aren't offered at good times for me.

I agree, they are usually very tough and more guys should experience that. My health/fitness has gone up exponentially since I started all these classes and I tell all the guys I can to come try it. Feel free to friend me!
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Kudos to you, and the rest of the class-braving fellow men!

I recently started taking a Zumba class and was anxious to begin (I'm a terrible dancer when not drinking....) I was surprised to find a couple guys who come, but one inparticuar who can't be much less than 7' and built like a linebacker. If he can do it, so can I! I love it.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    Options
    Kudos to you, and the rest of the class-braving fellow men!

I recently started taking a Zumba class and was anxious to begin (I'm a terrible dancer when not drinking....) I was surprised to find a couple guys who come, but one inparticuar who can't be much less than 7' and built like a linebacker. If he can do it, so can I! I love it.

I can promise you ... you are also a horrible dancer when drinking - you just don't care! :p hahaha.

I have passed on the Zumba classes but my roommate does them.