Thank you for your thoughts and prayers...

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
Many of you knew that my mother was having surgery this past Tuesday to have a tumor removed from her ear and many people offered good thoughts and prayers - I wanted to say thank you.

My mom came through the surgery very well. They were not able to reconstruct her ear as their was too much bone deterioration - but the mass had not spread to her brain, which we were very thankful for. It was, however, the size of a golf ball. She's been a real trooper...

We have about a 3 month recovery period ahead. She's not allow to lie flat for several weeks, cannot bend over at the waist for 3 months and is not allowed to drive for at least a month. It's going to be a little stressful for awhile.

I've been at her house since Tuesday and we have not eaten "well". I went from Easter to this fiasco where we ordered in Chinese, ate pizza, Cold Stone Creamery, White Castles, Dairy Queen - you name it. I was terrified to come home and get on the scale because I have not been able to work since early Tuesday morning AND I've been eating crap. Guess what? Even at 6PM today - my scale didn't show a gain. I haven't LOST - but I didn't gain.

So - what does that tell me? I'm eating more "sensibly" - instead of eating half a pizza - I ate 2 slices and I had a salad with it. Instead of eating 8 white castles - I ate 4. Instead of filling my plate twice with Chinese food - I filled my plate once. We got Cold Stone twice this week - once I ate the Sinless Cake Batter - but the second time I ordered a small dark chocolate with peanut butter cups.... WHY? Because I wanted it. AND - I've learned that sometimes it's better to eat LESS of something that you REALLY want than to eat MORE of something you really don't.

I'm excited to get back on my treadmill tomorrow morning. I'm excited to sleep in my own bed tonight. But mostly - I'm just looking forward to getting back into my routine!

Thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers and well-wishes. Hope that everyone had a great week and that everyone is gearing up for another great week this week!

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Many of you knew that my mother was having surgery this past Tuesday to have a tumor removed from her ear and many people offered good thoughts and prayers - I wanted to say thank you.

My mom came through the surgery very well. They were not able to reconstruct her ear as their was too much bone deterioration - but the mass had not spread to her brain, which we were very thankful for. It was, however, the size of a golf ball. She's been a real trooper...

We have about a 3 month recovery period ahead. She's not allow to lie flat for several weeks, cannot bend over at the waist for 3 months and is not allowed to drive for at least a month. It's going to be a little stressful for awhile.

I've been at her house since Tuesday and we have not eaten "well". I went from Easter to this fiasco where we ordered in Chinese, ate pizza, Cold Stone Creamery, White Castles, Dairy Queen - you name it. I was terrified to come home and get on the scale because I have not been able to work since early Tuesday morning AND I've been eating crap. Guess what? Even at 6PM today - my scale didn't show a gain. I haven't LOST - but I didn't gain.

So - what does that tell me? I'm eating more "sensibly" - instead of eating half a pizza - I ate 2 slices and I had a salad with it. Instead of eating 8 white castles - I ate 4. Instead of filling my plate twice with Chinese food - I filled my plate once. We got Cold Stone twice this week - once I ate the Sinless Cake Batter - but the second time I ordered a small dark chocolate with peanut butter cups.... WHY? Because I wanted it. AND - I've learned that sometimes it's better to eat LESS of something that you REALLY want than to eat MORE of something you really don't.

I'm excited to get back on my treadmill tomorrow morning. I'm excited to sleep in my own bed tonight. But mostly - I'm just looking forward to getting back into my routine!

Thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers and well-wishes. Hope that everyone had a great week and that everyone is gearing up for another great week this week!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    so glad that your mom is doing well from the surgery. :flowerforyou:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    glad to hear your mom's ok and congrats being under stress, easter and not gaining a pound!
    sounds like your really turning your eating habits around way to go:drinker:
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your mom's come through and is recovering. Remember to take care of yourself during her recovery...:flowerforyou: And congrats on doing so well with not gaining weight during such a stressful time.

Peace
  • indianagranny
    Options
    Glad to hear your mom come through her surgery. Congratulations on your accomplishments too. That is great.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    Glad to hear your mom come through her surgery. Congratulations on your accomplishments too. That is great.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    So glad your mom is going to be okay.
    Sounds like she has a very wise and loving daughter!
    You've really learned a lot about yourself!
    Wishing you both health. :smile: :heart: :smile:
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :heart: Wishing you the both the very best . Thanks and prayers for your blessings.... and many more ahead! :heart: