Starving!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Funny my friend here at work said the same thing about protein. I think I am going to rethink a few of my food choices to include more protiens in my diet.

I don't under eat. I do stay above 1200 calories a day and try to get a little more when I work out which is 6 days a week. 3 cardio and 3 weight training. I just have days when I feel like I will never get full and try to do everything the experts say to do and still feel hungry.

I think I am going to get a jar of lowfat peanut butter and keep it in my desk for days like this just to see if that helps.

6807119.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    maybe you are not eating enough calories. I had a friend explain all this to me and here was her advice:

Go to www.fitnessfrog.com and use their calculators to determine your BMR/RMR and your TDEE. These are important.

The way that MFP works is that it calculates your TDEE (the amount of calories you spend each day to live, function, walk to your car, watch TV, sit at your desk or take a shower. Basically, the average calories you burn on an average day) and then subtracts calories from that to help you lose your desired amount per week.

TDEE - calorie deficit automatically calculated my MFP = Your daily calorie goal

If you want to lose 1lb/week, your deficit will be 500 calories/day since a lb is the same as 3500 calories.
    3500 calorie deficit/week = 1lb loss/week THEREFORE 500 calorie deficit/day = 1lb loss/week

If you want to lose 2lb/week, your deficit will be 1000 calories/day.1000x7 days = 7000calories deficit/wk.
    If you want to lose .5 lbs/wk, your defiicit will be 250 cals/day or 1750 cals/wk.

Now, if you exercise, you're adding to that average TDEE by quite a bit, so MFP asks you to log it in, but since MFP has already subtracted a deficit for you, you can eat back those calories and still lose weight.

For ease, I'm going to use my numbers...

Kristel
    5'6" 149lbs
    BMR 1471
    TDEE 1850-2050 (depending if I'm considered sedentary or lightly active, so I go in the middle and use 1950)

TDEE = 1950/day
    Desired loss/week = 1lb
    1lb = 3500 cal = 7 x 500/day

Therefore, MFP has calculated my daily goal at 1450 cals/day because 1950 - 500 = 1450.

If I chose to exercise, that means I earn calories. Let's say I work out for 30 min on the elliptical and burn 300 calories.

Now we add that into their formula:

1950 (TDEE)
    - 500 (daily deficit)
    + 300 (exercise)
    1750 NET calories (i.e. the adjusted amount with exercise)

You'll see that MFP doesn't let you go below 1200. That's a good thing, you still need to fuel your body. In fact, I don't recommend eating below your BMR, but that's just based on my personal experience. I have more energy when I at least eat the amount required to keep my organs functioning properly (seems to make sense, right? lol). So as you can see, my BMR is around 1471 and my goal is 1450. Close enough for me.

Let me know if you have questions!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was going to reply but you have all the answers above me! Best thing I can say is this...
    the worst time of the day for me is between breakfast and lunch. If I eat EITHER a high fiber oatmeal with milk OR a hard boiled egg with milk I can get through the morning till lunch. (I do still have coffee and if its near or during TOM then I may add in some fruit.) But upping the protein and fiber helped me as opposed to the mornings I would have toast and fruit and that did nothing for me!