1500 calories vs 1500 calories

Options
Here's a good ?

Whats the difference betwen, 1500 daliy calories of just food alone, vs 1500 end of daily calories with food and exercise. Wouldnt you lose weight either way? Especially if you were used to getting about 2k-2500 cals daily?

***UPDATE***

Sorry for the confusion ;o)

Whats the difference between taking 1500 calories a day just from food alone and not exercising. Versus 1500 calories a day after eating and exercising. Basically, is 1500 just 1500 no matter what?

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dont know what you mean. Just follow MFP's daily intake goal. And specify whether you like to lose 1lbs or 2lbs per week.
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 1500 calories in one meal vs 1500 calories spread out over the whole day ?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is asking about eating back the exercise calories. Either way, you end up with a net of 1500 calories, so yes. I do it every day.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you'd lose eating 1,500 calories or eating 2,000 calories and exercising 500 calories (ending the day with 1,500 net)?

If so, then yes. You can lose weight with a calorie deficit only - the exercise simply earns you extra calories and there are many additional benefits to physical activity than just earning more calories.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    with excercise you can eat more and lose the same
    fe. if you burn 300 kcals you will create same deficit eating 1800 as you would eating 1500 and doing no excercise.

so the benefit of doing excersise among many others is being able to eat more
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    yes, you'd lose weight but calorie partitioning (as a result of exercise--weights especially) will dictate what your body LOOKS like after the weight is lost.

Also, sustainability plays a role in what is ideal for any given person. Some people HATE exercise while others don't mind it and would rather exercise and eat more (that's me--exercise rocks). So if working out will lead to burnout then that's not good--if eating at 1500 calories with no exercise leads to burnout then also not good. So every person needs to find what works for them and will get them to their goals.

Some people don't mind being skinny fat either--i think it's kinda stupid but that's just me. I would rather have a sculpted, heavier body than a skinny body that weighs less on the scale.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The other benefit of exercise is that it helps maintain muscle, so the pounds you shed are mostly fat (which is kind of the point).

Important to note that exercise does not have to mean going to the gym (which some of us, i.e. me, loathe). Anything that gets us off our butts and moving, even if it's only walking to the grocery store!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a good ?

Whats the difference betwen, 1500 daliy calories of just food alone, vs 1500 end of daily calories with food and exercise. Wouldnt you lose weight either way? Especially if you were used to getting about 2k-2500 cals daily?

***UPDATE***

Sorry for the confusion ;o)

Whats the difference between taking 1500 calories a day just from food alone and not exercising. Versus 1500 calories a day after eating and exercising. Basically, is 1500 just 1500 no matter what?

No it isn't the same.

You could lose weight on eating 1500 calories per day. However, if you exercise and burn, say 400 calories, then you eat your 1500 calories, 1500-400=1100 nett. This means you have more of a deficit with the exercise, so more weight lost.

If you exercise and burn 400 calories, then eat your 1500 calories and THEN eat a further 400 calories to make up for the calories burned during the exercise that would be 1500 + 400 = 1900. The figure is STILL 1500 nett, because those 400 calories you have burned off during exercise..