Hey newbies! Are you hungry?

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
I usually eat lots of raw veggies, lean meat, eggs, cheese, some processed salad dressings, but not too much.
I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day, try to stay under 100 carbs, eat some of my exercise calories. (an hour a day for 350-900 calories, depending)
It's been fairly successful for me so far. :bigsmile: 17 pounds & 20 inches since mid January. :bigsmile:
Recently I had some oral surgery which drastically changed my eating habits.
:grumble:
I've been having to eat LOTS of cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce, nonfat yogurt, fruit/yogurt smoothies for breakfast & lunch, nonfat pudding snacks, pasta, mashed potatoes & soup for dinner for the past 11 days.
I've been STARVING!!!!!
My stomach growls so loudly my coworkers laugh at me.
It's been hard to stay within my calories & carbs, sodium has been extra high & I can't get full!
:frown:
Moral of the story: if you're new to this, try filling up with protein & veggies & go lightly on the processed "diet foods."
I'm going to try a steak tonight - cut into minute pieces. We'll see how that goes.
My kingdom for a celery stick!:sad:

Replies

• Georg
    Options
    I usually eat lots of raw veggies, lean meat, eggs, cheese, some processed salad dressings, but not too much.
    I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day, try to stay under 100 carbs, eat some of my exercise calories. (an hour a day for 350-900 calories, depending)
    It's been fairly successful for me so far. :bigsmile: 17 pounds & 20 inches since mid January. :bigsmile:
    I've been having to eat LOTS of cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce, nonfat yogurt, fruit/yogurt smoothies for breakfast & lunch, nonfat pudding snacks, pasta, mashed potatoes & soup for dinner for the past 11 days.
    I've been STARVING!!!!!
    It's been hard to stay within my calories & carbs, sodium has been extra high & I can't get full!
    Moral of the story: if you're new to this, try filling up with protein & veggies & go lightly on the processed "diet foods."
    I'm going to try a steak tonight - cut into minute pieces. We'll see how that goes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    What about whole grains, like hot oat bran cereal? High in fiber, add some milk, it will keep you full for a while and no chewing necessary, it's like pudding. You can get Wheatena if you prefer wheat cereal. Even steel cut oats - very filling and you can add peanut butter or apple sauce to it.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I've been STARVING!!!!!

I'm with you on this one!! I had oral surgery on the 8th and eating is still a challenge!! Although I did manage to get some baby carrots in, very carefully, the other day! I miss my salads!!! (lol - never really thought I'd say that :laugh: ) and fresh, crunchy veggies. It's amazing what you start to crave when you eat healthy food!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Sorry about your surgery. No fun.
    One of the things that people think immediately upon surgery is --smoothie--soft stuff--well, here is an idea that will keep you full and give you the vitamins, minerals and healing agents you need each day, especially after a surgery.

Milkshake: 16 oz or so of coconut water
    1 bunch of spinach, washed and stemmed
    1 grapefruit, peeled
    1 lemon, peeled
    1 cucumber, peeled
    1 avocado
    1 scoop (tsp) soy sprout powder
    1 scoop greens powder
    1 packet stevia for sweetness or add stevia coconut flavored liquid
    mint to taste

All in a blender with a few ice cubes.

The soy sprout powder gives you protein. The greens powder and all the fresh ingredients give your blood nutrients to heal your body.

This is actually a great morning shake. You can make the above which will give you a blender full that you can drink for more than one serving or halve the recipe. If you don't like mint, don't add it.

I change it up sometimes, depending on what I have. You will feel full and heal quickly.

Also, pureed zucchini soup, cream of broccoli soup using avocado for the creaminess instead of dairy cream, carrot soup, etc. will give you nutrients and fill you up. Get creative with your veggies. You can still have them and they are so much better than what you have had to eat! Enjoy!
  • Georg
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.
    I never thought I'd crave a salad, but we're getting to that point!
    :indifferent:
  • Georg
    Options
    I just had some chicken. I have to be careful where it goes once inside my mouth - maybe things are looking up!