Shin Splints

Options
I'm just wondering if I can get some advice on how to deal with shin splints. I went jogging for the first time (C25K), and I am still suffering from shin splints. I have postponed my running until I buy a proper pair of running shoes. I will be going to the Running Room in Winnipeg to get fitted.

Anyway, are there any specific stretches or ice/heat tricks that may help relieve some of the stiffness and soreness? I'm going to try to work through the pain and go to Zumba tonight. I'm hoping that will help loosen up the muscles.

Replies

• nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes, as you said get a good pari of shoes that are for your running style, when your sitting at a desk or anywhere write the alphabet with your toe in the air, walk on your heels , walk on your toes,

stretches - sit in a pike position ankles flexed up and have a partner pull the the tops of your feet toward them and the ground ( hold for 15-30 sec) repeat

filling dixie cups full of water and freezing them then rubbing the ice cup on your shins directly for about 10min each will help after you have already developed shin splints ,

with all that said make sure you dont run too much too quickly as that will be a recipe for disaster in regards to injuries

good luck!
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, as you said get a good pari of shoes that are for your running style, when your sitting at a desk or anywhere write the alphabet with your toe in the air, walk on your heels , walk on your toes,

stretches - sit in a pike position ankles flexed up and have a partner pull the the tops of your feet toward them and the ground ( hold for 15-30 sec) repeat

filling dixie cups full of water and freezing them then rubbing the ice cup on your shins directly for about 10min each will help after you have already developed shin splints ,

with all that said make sure you dont run too much too quickly as that will be a recipe for disaster in regards to injuries

good luck!

Awesome! Thanks!