advice: lifting or running?

Options
I am already doing multiple classes right now. I do a lifting circuit twice a week, zumba twice a week, pilates and yoga once a week, and run when I feel like it. I work in a wellness center and teach the lifting circuits but feel obligated to do the other classes to encourage my employees to participate. I teach a low-medium risk population so nothing too crazy but still a good lifting circuit.

I would like to get into some 5k's that will be coming soon with the warm weather so I figured I better make running more frequent in my routine. But, I like weight training and I have been seeing a lot of ladies out there lately making some really great progress by lifting heavy. I powerlifted in high school and know what it takes. I was thinking it would be cool to reach my lifts that won me the state championship. I am proud to talk about it now, but it was embarassing in high school and I did get made fun of a LOT for it.

My QUESTION: Do I lift heavy or do I keep what I am doing and run more for the 5k's? Or can I do both? Anyone with a similar experience or advice on what worked for you? Do I try to lose weight before working on muscle gains? Do I clean up my eating first? (I am doing well except for sugar and sodium intake)

Current stats:
145 lbs
25% fat mass
5'3"
24 yrs old

High School powerlifting state lifts (because I am not embarassed anymore):

Weight:131 lbs
Squat: 235 lbs
Clean: 125 lbs
Bench: 135

I have no idea where I am at now... would have to get my boyfriend to spot me and max out.

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Do I lift heavy or do I keep what I am doing and run more for the 5k's?
    You don't need THAT much cardio to run a 5k. If you want to win the 5k work on a 50-50 lifting/cardio(for now), if you just want to run it 70-30 lifting/cardio
    Do I try to lose weight before working on muscle gains?
    No, start lifting yesterday, muscle gains will help your running, and your fat loss.
    Do I clean up my eating first? (I am doing well except for sugar and sodium intake)
    Unless your sugar and sodium is EXTREMELY high you probably don't need to change much. Be conscious of it, but don't worry about taking it completely out of your diet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do both. I lift because I love what it does to my body (ok, especially my butt!) but I run because I love what it does for my psyche. I feel as relaxed after running a 5k as I do after a massage or bubble bath. And I love racing.

And, yeah... it doesn't take much to be able to do a 5k. A half hour three times a week and you're golden.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would say do both if you enjoy both.

Just make sure you eat enough to fuel both workouts, otherwise it can be detrimental to your lifts.

It terms of muscle building, me personally, I would focus on getting to my goal weight before I focused solely on building muscle. However, that's not to say you shouldn't strength train right away. It will help you maintain your muscle easier while you lose, and it's tons easier to maintain muscle now, than it is to build it at a later date.

BTW you're lifts you did then were awesome!!! I would love to be at that level. My squats are just 154 at the moment, and bench 121, and I'm heavier than you were (150lb at time of those lifts)
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks people! I think I will continue with what I am doing and just add some running about 3 times a week. I have never been a long distance runner even though I have been involved in sports since I was young. But I better learn sometime! So far I have done some treadmill after work, 20 minutes each time. Gonna take some work...

Thanks Heidi. I truly was embarassed for lifting competitively. It just wasn't the cool thing to do when I was in high school. It can be pretty horrifying for a 17 year old girl to earn the nickname "baby hulk"... lol
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't be able to?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    BOTH

i ran my first 5k back in october. i trained literally 3 days..lol. before that all i did was lift.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't be able to?

Did you not read my post? I am already working out sometimes twice a day because of my job... I am trying to decide if I should focus the energy I do have on lifting more or running more. Guess I found out from the other posters on this topic that you can prepare for a 5k with minimal training.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    glad you posted this....I am about to start lifting and been wondering how to work that in with running and zumba/kickboxing. I haven't figured out my schedule yet, it will probably take me a few weeks to feel what I'm comfortable with.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    duplicate
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As someone has already said.. Start lifting yesterday! Doing classes and such are great and all, but, I'm telling you, as well as anyone else can who does lift. adding muscle will only help in several different ways. You don't need to lose weight before you lift. In all actuallity, when you have body fat when you start, it only helps... For what most people are on here for (weight loss), building muscle is one of the first steps you should take. I'm doing heavy lifting for two months and then doing a month of cutting and toning... Having more muscle will allow for faster and greater fat burns...

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/benefitsofweighttraining/a/benefits.htm

This is just the tip of the iceburg...