Steak Help

Options
13»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    *** what to do with crappy overcooked steak.

Growing up my mom ALWAYS overcooked the steak. Inevitably we all would eat a few bits and feign fullness. The steak leftovers always turned into this.

Make pepper steak like the recipe here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-pepper-steak/9382caee-1967-48fd-9a7e-d03bc60946d5

(You don't need that long. Try 2 hours, the meat will probably be tender by then. I add my peppers in the last 5-10 minutes so they stay crunchy. You can do this in covered pot, you do not need a slow cooker. I also make this recipe when I am craving beef and all of the nice cuts are too expensive. I just buy any old cut and make this.)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    grill all my steaks on my pit...

why aren't more people saying something like this? it makes me sad for meat-eating humanity.

steak is created to be grilled or smoked, folks. go outside. use charcoal or even gas. use mesquite. but go outside. do it for you. do it for your family. do it for the cow.
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    grill all my steaks on my pit...

why aren't more people saying something like this? it makes me sad for meat-eating humanity.

steak is created to be grilled or smoked, folks. go outside. use charcoal or even gas. use mesquite. but go outside. do it for you. do it for your family. do it for the cow.

and use Mesquite wood or at least Mesquite chips! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I've never thought a London Broil was much of a steak. Get yourself a "steak". A Ribeye is usually flavorful due to the extra fat content. Strip versions or sirloins are usually leaner cuts. Simple seasonings, and if you like some pink / red in the center, get your pan / grill hot.

You are right. London Broil is not a steak it's more of a stewing beef. Not a lot of fat but tons of connective tissue that needs to be cooked long and slow to tenderize.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    my husband never picks steak when we go out cos he says i can do just as well (if not better) at home

I typically pick a cut that is marbled nicely with fat, and is thick about 1 1/2". Never a totally lean piece. Can always cut the excess fat off when you eat it.
    I always go for scotch fillet. I find eye fillet too dry, and sirloin too tough.

HOT frypan, cast iron is best
    brush the meat with oil, rather than adding oil to the pan. Some freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste on the meat now.

Cook hot and fast on one side to brown, then turn with tongs, never pierce the meat, and cook slightly slower on the other side (but not slow enough that it stews) until juices appear on the top. That gives us a good medium-rare.

I would NEVER put steak in something like a foreman, it goes dry, tough and there's no flavour. I also never marinate a good cut of steak.

^Great tips! I also like to use an oven safe skillet.....I will brown the meat on high heat on both sides and then finish in the oven at 400 degrees until the meat is the right temperature (depending on how you like it cooked.....I prefer medium).
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Here is a great tip (the one we use)

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

the longer you cook a steak, the tougher it becomes - it's much more flavorful when it's not cooked too long.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    wow! Reading about the very fast cooking time you guys talk about, I wonder if I'm too paranoid about E-Coli. I cook my steak about 15 min. :huh:
    You're not worried about undercooked meat?

15 minutes? :huh: :cry: :sad: I wear boots, not eat them.
    Cooking a steak should be like teenage sex; hot and fast.

:laugh:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    wow! Reading about the very fast cooking time you guys talk about, I wonder if I'm too paranoid about E-Coli. I cook my steak about 15 min. :huh:
    You're not worried about undercooked meat?

E coli is a problem in hamburger not steak... As fecal material is ground into the hamburger in big meat processing plants. Never cook a steak that long or it will be ruined unless you like a really chewy tough piece of meat... lol

Thanks for the info! So, I shouldn't fear the almost ''rare'' meat? I cook it until my meat thermometer reaches 165-170 degrees, but sometimes, it's still very red if not ''bleeding'' inside. Yes, I must be paranoid! I don't eat that much steak because of it, but I want to!