Trouble with running, is it just a mental thing?

Options

Replies

• 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started running in November 2010 at 289 pounds. I thought I would DIE after 2 minutes. I now am running regularly - my longest run is 8 miles so far. The best advice I got was SLOW DOWN. And when you feel like you're going so slow you're not moving, SLOW DOWN MORE.

It worked for me.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I run/walk - 4 minutes running / 1 minute walking. I completed four half marathons using this method.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on a treadmill than outdoors as the footpaths around here are dodgy. Also, you may need to have your running technique looked at. Sometimes being taught how to run correctly makes all the difference thus enjoying it more.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on a treadmill than outdoors as the footpaths around here are dodgy. Also, you may need to have your running technique looked at. Sometimes being taught how to run correctly makes all the difference thus enjoying it more.

Forgot to mention. I did though first start out by running lamp post to lampost then walking to the next then after A while I was jogging to every third lamp post and walking the next when I decided to run on the treadmill I did it by running two minutes then walking one and running two and gradually changing the times before I knew it was was running 30 minutes straight.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    Despite what missigus says, and this is no slam, running should not be painful. you have to focus on one foot in front of the other, breathe in and breathe out, one of the hardest things is getting the breathing part. I breathe on each foot fall, in for 2, then out for 2, that way, you don't end up gasping for air. And definitely slow, slow, slow. I started barely able to run for 1 minute and ended up doing 4 1/2 marathons in 3 years along with countless 5Ks, 10Ks, and a few other random races, triathlons, etc. It turned into something I could enjoy at times, even if I'm still not the kind of person who says, oh, I love running, can't live without it.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    95% of it for me is mental. Some days I just can't get out of my head; This sucks, it's hard, you can stop, you're so slow, you can't do it.....I NEVER thought I would be able to run, I knew that if I put the work in, the cardio would come, but I didn't think I had the mental stregnth to actually commit to doing it enough to get better.

I started trail running, walking some, running some. Walking the up hills and flats, and running the downhills. Then I started to run the uphills and flats and waking the down hills, then one day running both. I remember not being able to imagine running this one loop without stopping, it seem IMPOSSIBLE. I went out one day, just planning on running as much as I could, and realized that if I got over this hill and didn't stop, no matter how slow I was going(I could have walked faster at this point) that that was the only thing standing between me and being able to say I DID IT!

The quote "Don't exchange what you want most, for what you want in the moment" has been my mantra while running. It takes time, and I think you're always going to have bad runs; runs where it is harder than it should be. But you need those lows to have the super highs that come with running.

Also, jumping rope, doing one minute intervals, has made me a MUCH faster runner.
  • TMJOHNS12
    Options
    The one thing to remember is something a co-worker told me is that "every step you take is one more step futher than before". She is now been running for a couple of years now and lost a bunch of weight and has kept it off. She is now doing something she never thought she would do-running the Boston Marathon in April of this year! She is an inspiration to me! It got me to start running last year and ran my first 5K and she was there. I broke my ribs this past fall and now have just begun to run again and ran my first mile again last night and the first questions she asked me at work was how I did and I know to her a mile isn't anything but she knows that a mile to me is everything! Start slow, start slow, start slow. Even if you have to stop while you are running and start walking at least your trying! The more running you do, the better you will get.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I used to be that girl that hated to run. I would only run if a bear was chasing me..and then I only had to be faster than you..not the bear. Now..I am running my first half marathon in less than 4 weeks. I get grumpy if I dont run every other day. Even my kids notice. Its alot mental. You have to remember..you are only competing against yourself. A little further..a little harder..a little better time...every time. :)
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I joined a community based 'Learn to Run' program last spring and went from couch to 5K in ten weeks. Having other people do it with me was really helpful, and also kept me motivated to do my running homework. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you! Maybe you could look into something like that?
  • mamaistired
    Options
    I had problems with running, too. I have tried a program on iTunes called Personal Running Trainer. I just completed the 4 weeks to 1 mile program and am starting the 8 weeks to 5k program tomorrow. What I LOVE about this set-up is the slow start (more walking than running the first week) and building up as my strength and stamina improves, having a coach talking in my ear, training only 3 days per week, and a great beat to the techno music. It's worked great for me and I have tried many programs before without success. Check out the website at www.personalrunningtrainer.com
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Im starting COUCH to 5K....maybe you could start there, Ive never been a runner and fat most of my life, but with 48 lbs gone, I can at least try it- GOOGLE it for more info......
  • JillSmig
    Options
    Running is mental but there are several good tips! Repeat as many weeks as you need to in the C25K program! And, I also do the run 4 walk 1. I figure I can do ANYTHING for 4 minutes. You can play around with what you need and work from there. The entire key is that you are DOING it!!!! I've started and stopped way too many times, hoping to keep on going this year and finish my first 1/2!! Good luck!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to go from running 100 yds to running a 5k.

Now, a 5k is easy - a 10k is a normal weekend run and I can do a 1/2 marathon as long as I have a few days to rest up beforehand.

In my case, it just took longer than the "typical 10 week program".
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    MUSIC!!!!

its the only way i can keep running. if i dont have music i dont last more than 5 minutes either, but with it i can run and i dont even realize how long it has been

I agree with the music. I'm doing a c25k and the podcast I using is really good. You can use your own music and it break in and tell when to run and walk.
  • I had a similar issue. I kept hitting a wall while running. Once I started adding in serious resistance training (circuit training), the running became much easier. I still have some difficulty, but the more I do resistance, the better I feel.
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been running for almost four years and I still can't run a full 5K, because I fell off and on the saddle.

I suggest trying Couch to 5K, and if you have to repeat a week or an exercise, DO IT! I did! I am now finally conquering (I hope) week 6 day 3, which is 2.25 miles straight.

Also, yes to music. It is the only thing that gets me through. Make it fast enough for your speed, too.

And maybe start on flat terrain. I know the hills kill me and only until recently have a sorta figure out how to conquer them.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I only began to enjoy running when I started trail runnng. I just love the soft dirt and the trees and the forest smells! But I know that's not everyones joy. But it's worth checking out!
  • KrystleZia
    Options
    Just wanted to reiterate what worked for me - running SLOW, as in little old lady slow. Who cares how slow you go anyway? You're not racing anyone. If you go as slow as you can jog, it helps. I used to try to run fast and that killed me. The other thing that helped was music.

I tried running here and there for years and years and it wasn't till I did these two things that running "clicked" and within a few months I ran 5 miles in 50 minutes on hills without stopping.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like anything it takes practice. Since you haven't ran before, I suggest googling a C25k program. It uses walk/run intervals to help you build stamina. You have to begin somewhere. So start there.

I started it last year and stopped around week 5 because I had trouble running more than 5 minutes. Perhaps starting it over again and being consistent will work in my favor.

Don't feel like you have to do the C25K in the number of weeks they suggest. The first time I tried it I gave up around the same time as you because it got too hard.

Second time I attempted it, I spent two weeks on each level instead of one, and that helped me finish the program and fall in love with running.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a treadmill? I think it helps to increase your time slowly so like I started walking for 1 min then running for 1 min and did that for 1/2 an hour. Then once I got the hang of that I tried walking for 1 min then running for 2 mins, then walking 1 running 3 and so on.