Consequences of Staying up Late?

Options
Hi, I was wondering, what is the general opinion of the consequences of staying up late on weight, lean body mass, and fitness? What do you think? I know that one who stays up late is more prone to overeating, but given that I stick to my caloric allotment, is staying up late really so bad? Would I burn more calories by sleeping less (and then I would need to consider these too?)?

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't stay up late, and I really suffer if I do it too many nights in a row.

I know there's the eating factor like you mentioned, but your muscles also are slower to recover and your mind isn't as sharp when you don't sleep enough. My brain turns foggy and I get lightheaded if I don't get enough sleep, and my body is so uncoordinated it's not even funny. I just experienced this last week after a couple nights without enough sleep.

I would imagine that your body digests food better and processes what nutrition you receive if you sleep a full 8 hours. I don't have any scientific proof. I just know that I retain water, blow up like a baloon and generally don't feel like being active when I'm tired.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you should try to get your 7-8 hours of sleep a night. That is the generally accepted range for healthy weight loss. (source: http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/235664992970872841_XF4IRZdN_f.jpg )
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is just speculation and I have nothing to support this with:

I would imagine that until you have some sort of sleep deprivation, it isn't going to matter at all.

Arguably one of the best natural bodybuilders around (Manu) doesn't sleep much at all. Pretty sure he's doing some form of polyphasic sleep but I'm not certain.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic insomniac...oh no! Eating at night is the main reason I got fat. Making it through the night without eating more than pickles is my new challenge. I know this doesn't answer your question but I just needed to vent! Being up all night every night sucks!