Weights before Cardio?

Options
Just trying to check the pulse from everyone - Weights before Cardio or Cardio then weights? What do you find to be more effective, easier on your body, etc.? I workout 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour and just want to make sure that I'm effective with the time I'm investing in working out.

Personally, I find that cardio then weights works best for me and so far I have noticed great results. I notice that after running or completing a 30 minute cardio workout then going straight to weights I feel loose and warmed up and ready to complete my sets/reps.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm also new to MFP so feel free to add me. I can take all the support I can get and will return the favor.

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I do 5 min on elliptical to warm up, weights then 20-30 min on elliptical. I do C25K and don't do the full 5 min warm up if I've done weights.
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Stretching, cardio, weights, cooldown, and then stretching.

That way you don't injure yourself and your muscles stay engaged.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just trying to check the pulse from everyone - Weights before Cardio or Cardio then weights? What do you find to be more effective, easier on your body, etc.? I workout 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour and just want to make sure that I'm effective with the time I'm investing in working out.

Personally, I find that cardio then weights works best for me and so far I have noticed great results. I notice that after running or completing a 30 minute cardio workout then going straight to weights I feel loose and warmed up and ready to complete my sets/reps.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm also new to MFP so feel free to add me. I can take all the support I can get and will return the favor.
    Try that and then do a heavy set of squats. I prefer to focus my energy on weights.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

What?

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/jul/19/stretching-ineffective-against-workout-injuries/?body
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html

All you need is a few warm-up sets, maybe a 5 minute walk on the treadmill.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Weights first, IMO. Go big, cardio with whatever is left in the tank.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options

that's what i do :)
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options

What?

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/jul/19/stretching-ineffective-against-workout-injuries/?body

I work stretching and cooldown into my exercises, so I'm not only stretching but I'm beginning to engage some of my muscles while doing so, getting my heart rate up. I don't do it exactly, but yoga is a good stretching warm up, and by the end of it you can feel the increased heart rate.

-And don't quote "stretching ineffective" articles to me. Unless you're a personal athletic trainer, which I am certified to be, you can't quote other's OPINIONS without your own testimonial.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For men:

Stretch muscles,Weights,Stretch,Cardio,Sauna to release lactic acid so muscles wont hurt
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you are looking for the most effective fat burn or best muscle building.

For fat burn do weights first, then cardio. It will burn up the lactic acid in your muscles which will give you the best fat burning when doing cardio. Also you may not be able to give your weight training your best effort if you are tired from the cardio.
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at a health club tell me that I should do cardio after weights.
    5-10 min. of cardio in the beginning is ok for warm up though.
    He said that it takes 15 min. of exercise before your body starts to burn fat.
    So if you do your cardio last you will burn more fat calories, according to him.
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    sorry could not delete
  • Sharian2012
    Sharian2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1 hour of cardio and 30 mins of weights. Most women usually want to be lean so usually more cardio is good for us and then some weights. Men usually want to bulk so more weights and then a little cardio is good for you guys. Unless you want to start a running regime then cardio is key.
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I stretch before I go to the gym then do weights, then 30 min cardio, then stomach exercises. I noticed that when i do cardio first, I just don't have enough strength for my weights. However, when I do weights, my time does suffer on my cardio, but I figure the trade-off is ok. .
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've done cardio before weights, and didn't see any results.

I do a 10 minute warm-up on a bike (because of a knee injury- gotta prepare the joints)

Then I do 1-1.5hrs of weights.

Then 30 minutes of cardio, medium intensity. If you wanna lose fat, medium intensity. After 8-12 weeks of sticking to your plan, you can do 20 min of HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Anyone feel free to correct me on this. I've gathered this info from bodybuilding.com
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    For me, I like a nice little 10 min cardio before weights. I feel that it gets my body warmed up and everything working before I start with the weights.

Note that I also do about 10 - 15 min of yoga style stretching after my cardio but before weights.

Don't know if this is proper or not but it is working for me.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Weights first! You need all that glycogen to power through sets and cardio allows your body to utilize some fat for energy even while you are doing cardio....
    Then finish up the glycogen stores you have left (at that point you would either need to stop or refuel.)

I start my weight workouts with a slow, steady abdominal machine (NOT an oblique/twisting movement) And by the time I finish three sets of eight, my whole body is warm and loosened. Careful, slow movement (NO jerking at all) does not require the same type of warmup that high impact cardio.

I have found another benefit... running after an hour of weight lifting mimics running a longer distance in terms of glycogen depletion and training my body to use fat for energy/push through those weak moments.

I also get to practice fueling strategies.

I have yet to hear a fitness expert recommend cardio before weights.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1 hour of cardio and 30 mins of weights. Most women usually want to be lean so usually more cardio is good for us and then some weights. Men usually want to bulk so more weights and then a little cardio is good for you guys. Unless you want to start a running regime then cardio is key.

This has no basis in science or even anctedotal evidence. Men and women can and do train the same to reduce fat. Women who do the same exercise regieme as men do end up with better bodies than women who focus on cardio. (ie the dreaded skinny fat)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

What?

I work stretching and cooldown into my exercises, so I'm not only stretching but I'm beginning to engage some of my muscles while doing so, getting my heart rate up. I don't do it exactly, but yoga is a good stretching warm up, and by the end of it you can feel the increased heart rate.

-And don't quote "stretching ineffective" articles to me. Unless you're a personal athletic trainer, which I am certified to be, you can't quote other's OPINIONS without your own testimonial.

All teenagers think they know it all.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    OP, for me, it's got to be weights then cardio. You want to give your all to your weight training and then if you can, do some cardio. I don't always do cardio on my weight training days anymore. I like to concentrate on lifting heavy instead.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hope by stretching you mean dynamic stretching. Static stretching before a workout is asking for injury! I do a dynamic warmup then weight training in a circuit that gets my hr up. Don't waste your time on the hamster wheel. And yes women can train just as hard as men!