treadmill vs outside running

Options
Hi am really new to running…as in 1 month ago i started and have just managed to run 1.5k without stopping – (admittedly almost dying and not being able to breath!) Its made me realise how incredibly unfit I have let myself become but also I realise that I really love running outside and getting some fresh air.

I have an office job so sit in aircon all day and then I spend time with my 3 boys in the evenings so I am trying to run every other evening at 7.30pm once my boys go to bed. The problem is it’s to dangerous to run around at night by myself so I can only go when my neighbour is free to go with me. I didn’t mind at first but now I REALLY want to go on the days ive allocated and hate it if I can’t get out of the house! (who knew that would happen!) My fantastic husband got me a treadmill for home but I cant seem to run on it…feel really stupid but is this something I need to learn? I keep feeling like im falling over or going to go off the sides…any ideas or is treadmill running just totally different that outside?

Replies

• Anoetos65
    Options
    Hold on to the sides at first, then free a hand to make normal running arm movements, then the other. Also, you might try to run a little slower at first.

Hang in there, you'll get it.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    It does take some getting used to. I'd start off slow and go from there. Good luck.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Slow down a bit and even raise the incline.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I really dislike running on the treadmill and only ever run on it for interval training. And that's only occasionally. To me it's totally different b/c you don't experience the wind resistance outside, different terrain, and you aren't actually moving your body so its definitely easier. In my opinion when I run on the treadmill it changes my gait, plus it's boring :yawn:

But, I definitely agree that it is just too dangerous to run outside by yourself. Have you considered joining a running club? I run with my club sometimes and if there are days when I want to run and the group isn't meeting I call one of the girls and we set up a time. I also belong to a church gym with an indoor track so I use that when I don't have anyone to go with me or its too cold outside.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks! i feel like such a muppit running on the treadmill...even my 3 year old told me he could teach me to run if i wanted as hes as fast as a superhero apparently!
  • kirstand
    Options
    lol! yes it can take a bit of getting use to...as the others have already mentioned, go slow at first maybe holding onto handles...even a fast walk is a good start!! i used the emergency key for the first few times just in case i flew of the back of it or tripped.
    good luck...love my treadmill but i'm too lazy to run on it so use the incline and walk fast instead.
  • MonkeyFlower
    Options
    sorry don’t know how to reply to a separate person but @nwhitley im probably being silly but am a bit embarrassed to join a running group as everyone i know in one is super fit...was hoping i could get a bit better by myself first...also am really constrained with time as i don’t want to eat into my time with the kids as i don’t get to see them during the days at work...
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I adore my treadmill but prefer to use it for fast walking with the incline, I find running on it gives me sore shins and ankles - not sure why - but I dont want to run outside because I hate people watching me workout. Once I'm more confident I will be happy to run outside.
  • alwayswndrng
    alwayswndrng Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor told me if I walk/run on the treadmill to have it on at least .5 incline as the 0 does not feel normal to our bodies. I live in WI so it gets dark pretty early. Whether day/night I have pepper spray attached to me and my cell phone. Believe it or not I had three teenage boys try to mess with me on trail in the mid afternoon. I also tell my husband which route I am taking he knows how long the route should take me to return home.
  • DMK710
    DMK710 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time in my schedule to run outside since I work nights and sleep during the day. I also don't have the room for a treadmill..so I use the "Free Run" on my Wii Fit. It lets me get the cardio, jogging and i'm safe in my home.

Be safe out there!

*I used to have a treadmill (loved it but wore it out) it is important to use the safety strap and hold on till your used to it.
  • MonkeyFlower
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice, will try with a bit of an incline tonight and slow it down (although if I slow down my jog any more I may be walking :)) just a shame as I felt like my speed was slowly improving outside...darn murderers/rapists/attackers hindering my weight loss! :)
  • adriankking
    adriankking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the treadmill. You might want to check a local university as well because some allow you to run on their tracks or have well lit walking or running trails for students.