Home made yoghurt!

Options
Yesterday I read some articles about how to make home made yoghurt and decided to give it a go last night. I made it in my rice cooker, using the "cook" setting to get it up to 180 (85C), then a cold bath to bring it down to 120(45C) - unfortunately my thermometer only went as low as 60C, so I just used the "finger test" (hold finger in for 10 secs and if it is warm but not too hot, it is the right temp).

I then put my rice cooker on warm for an hour or so, then before bed turned it off and wrapped it up in a towel. A few hours later I woke up to go to the bathroom and checked on it - it had cooled down so I flicked it back on to warm from 1am to 5am. I don't really know the temp, as my thermometer didn't go low enough.

At 6am I checked it again and I had yoghurt! A bit runny, but definitely yoghurt. I strained, added a bit of vanilla extract and put it in the fridge. I used semi skimmed milk (1.7% fat) and fat free live yoghurt. I've read that if you add some non-fat milk powder that will make it thicker, so will definitely try that next time.

Any other yoghurt makers out there that have any tips to share?

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes I make yoghurt. Lately I've been lazy and just use a packet mix and add water. Then I pop it all in a thermos type thing with boiling water overnight and in the morning I have yoghurt.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I make it all the time. I use skimmed milk (UHT) and a bit of skimmed milk powder plus a tablespoon of my last youghurt. Every once in a while I buy a new yoghurt to use as a starter if it seems to be too runny (sometimes it gets other bacteria in it if you aren't careful about things like not licking the spoon)!

I find that once you have it in the fridge it thickens up quite nicely anyway and sometimes it's nicer to have it a bit runnier for muesli etc. If I give mine to the kids I flavour it with pureed fruit, or cordial.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That's great - I was thinking of using UHT as apparently you don't need to heat it up so high (85C) first if it is UHT.

I am glad it thickens up in the fridge as it was a bit runny this morning - really looking forward to trying it properly this evening!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just made myself some organic skim yoghurt tonight actually!

I usually make Easyo which just uses a packet mix. But didn't want to shell out $5 for their organic version (i've now switched to organic as much as possible).
    So just bought some organic milk, a tub or organic yoghurt to use as a starter and am trying the yoghurt maker thermos thing that comes with the easyo to try and set it.
    Will see how it worked in the morning :)
    If it does work then it will be a fraction of the cost of the biodynamic yoghurt that i love, and made from the same milk (i use the same brand) and starter :)
  • mdfishinggirl
    Options
    I have been making it lately using a crock pot (so, like your rice cooker...never thought of that!) and my oven light. Heat it up to 180 F, turn it off and let it cool to 110. I add 2 Tablespoons organic yogurt to 1 cup of the cooked milk, stir, wrap the ceramic removable bowl in a towel and stick it in my oven with only the oven light on overnight. 8-10 hours later I have the best yogurt ever ;) SO much better than we get over here. I like the thiner texture. The recipe I use is from a blog done by someone from Europe who didn't like the texture of the USA's yogurt. Happy Yogurt Making!!
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I live in Egypt but used to live in Lebanon. The Lebanese put the yogurt in a cloth and let the water drip out overnight. The end result is cheese. The Lebanese use as a mezza or dip. I do that at home. I hang the yogurt, in a thin porous cloth, over my sink for one night and the next day I have cheese which is eaten with a little olive oil and dry mint. Delicious. I found someone using a coffee filter to drain yogurt, but i never tried.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    I live in Egypt but used to live in Lebanon. The Lebanese put the yogurt in a cloth and let the water drip out overnight. The end result is cheese. The Lebanese use as a mezza or dip. I do that at home. I hang the yogurt, in a thin porous cloth, over my sink for one night and the next day I have cheese which is eaten with a little olive oil and dry mint. Delicious. I found someone using a coffee filter to drain yogurt, but i never tried.

I like that idea of cheese. I never thought of using cheese cloth for yogurt. I use it for ricotta cheese, but it makes lots of sense. Thank you so much for the great idea!!!
  • AirCircleI
    Options
    Sazzet, that sounds fantastic - thanks for the idea, will definitely try it!
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You're going to love it. I gave it to my daughter for school the other day with some baked corn chips. She loved it. She said it tasted like Mexican sour cream.
  • AirCircleI
    Options
    Bump - anyone else have have any tips or ideas about making home made yoghurt or what you like to do with it?

I am struggling to find powdered milk in the UK to thicken it up, but have ordered some cheese cloths.

Anyway, tried my yoghurt made last night chilled when I got home from work today and it was fantastic!! Very light and creamy.