Calories Burned is not matching

vintageprop
vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this as I'm entirely confused.

I used a stationary bike for 40 mins and the machine said I burned 75 calories. I input my weight at the beginning which is 117.

Online when I input 40 mins of vigorous stationary biking with my weight, it says I burned about 400 calories. That just doesn't feel right.

How do I know which one is more correct? Should I just buy a heart monitor calorie counter watch or something?

Replies

• vintageprop
    Hello I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this as I'm entirely confused.

I used a stationary bike for 40 mins and the machine said I burned 75 calories. I input my weight at the beginning which is 117.

Online when I input 40 mins of vigorous stationary biking with my weight, it says I burned about 400 calories. That just doesn't feel right.

How do I know which one is more correct? Should I just buy a heart monitor calorie counter watch or something?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    if you just sat and stared hard at the bike for 40 minutes you could burn 75 calories

400 is more likely if you broke a sweat
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    More likely, it's somewhere in the middle. The only real way to know is to get a HRM that tracks your calories burned.:smile:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    A heart rate monitor is a good investment. I use a Polar F6 when I'm on my elliptical the difference is always higher on the machine, so I wish it were the right one. :happy:
    I burn an average of 100 calories per 10 minutes of sweaty, vigorous exercise. Sounds the 400 is a better estimate than 75 but then again even 400 could be high for you (you're only 117 lbs, heavy people usually burn more calories doing the same thing).
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    if you just sat and stared hard at the bike for 40 minutes you could burn 75 calories

400 is more likely if you broke a sweat

LOL! Nice... I agree with Dave that 400 is closer to being accurate.
  • vintageprop
    yeah, you're right, 75 does sound a bit ridiculous seeing as how I did sweat a lot. Thanks guys :)
This discussion has been closed.