how hungry should i feel?

Options
2»

Replies

• nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    hi, not exercising at present more than stairs instead of lift etc, I know I should be but I am waiting till pay day to start a gym membership and wanted to get the hang of the eating before ploughing in.
  • badb33st
    badb33st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating little and often may help to level out the hunger every two hours if my own goal, it helps prevent blood sugar highs and crashing lows, with steady insulin response. this will help your body shed excess fat as its getting a steady supply of nutrients.
    Jerry
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling unbearable hunger and weakness between meals I would maybe eat less at shorter intervals. Like instead of eating 3 meals 4 - 6 hours apart eat 5 or 6 meals 3 to 4 hours apart. Still consume the same amount of calories, just break it down into smaller portions. Also - it's a good idea to make sure you're getting a good blance of good carbs and lean protiens in each meal. Eating more protien (without over doing it) will help you feel fuller / more satisfied for longer. Also, if it's merely hunger sometimes drinking more water helps. Good Luck :)
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel hungry at all. The trick is to eat often enough that you never feel hungry. Make sure you're getting the proper amounts of carbs because that is your bodies energy source. If you're not getting enough you can definitely get bouts of weakness and light headedness.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie intake is fine, but if you're constantly hungry, up it a bit and see how you feel.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree that more protein and more fibre than MFP suggest is a good way to go. High protein (within reasonable limits of course) does prevent hunger in my experience, and most people don't get enough fibre. I've a family history of bowel cancer and have had medical advice about my diet. I've personalised my target intakes on MFP. I think a lot of what you're experiencing could be caffeine withdrawal. I gave up my black coffee habit cold turkey some years ago and felt rotten for many weeks - headaches, nausea, and faintness; and I wasn't dieting at the time! I've no idea whether weaning off caffeine slowly is a better idea - has anyone else done it? Anyway, sound to me like you're doing well, and I do think that if you're used to feeling very full of carbs and change your diet radically you're bound to feel rather empty!
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200, and I get along just fine with it. I would start slow and eat half of what you normally ate and everyday from then you take something off. That way your body is adjusting to the transition over a period of time. I'm sure you'd feel much better after that. Trust me on this one. Dieting is hard when you 1st start, but you just have to gradually change yourself over a long period of time to get to were you want to be. I had to and I'm doing a great job. If I can, you can, anybody can! I hope you finish your weight loss journey swiftly and quickly. Good Luck! :flowers:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i think you need to eat more. you are trying to lose 60 lbs so you probably shoudl try to start at 1400 calories. that would give you a little more to work with and you'd still lose weight. sometimes when peopel go as low as 1200-1300 calories they can also cause damage to their metabolism. i am rarely hungry when i really pay attention to my body.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    hi, not exercising at present more than stairs instead of lift etc, I know I should be but I am waiting till pay day to start a gym membership and wanted to get the hang of the eating before ploughing in.

I got used to the eating for 3 weeks before I started exercise. I agree with you, that worked for me. I actually want to do the exercise. Looking forward to it for the first time in my life. Add me if you want! :) Good luck girl
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein (like 1g/pound of body weight) and fiber. And it takes a week or two to get used to a drastic change in diet.