Shirataki Noodles

Options
2»

Replies

• cemummy
    cemummy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i tried them last week. they do have a fishy smell when opened, i was advised to rinse them well and then to dry fry them to remove the moisture this also removes the slimy texture. i did this then added to my stir fry and loved them i found they just took on the taste of the sauce and were very filling.
  • Chickie0999
    Options
    Had them last night again (love them!). Rinsed them well, then boil 8 minutes, drain and added them to tofu pepperoni, garlic, mushroom and green pepper with a bit of olive oil... tasted like pasta carbonara, was so so good!
  • larabell69
    Options
    I love them! rinse and add to soups or dry fry then add veggies and meat of choice( chicken, shrimp, crab, ect), I have replaced the reg pasta with them!!
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the key is to rinse them well prior to cooking. I have an asian market up the street that I have just started frequenting. I wonder if I can find them there.
  • Dinky_do
    Options
    Yes and I think they are absolutely horrible. :sad:
  • kitty_764
    Options
    I rinse them for a good 5 minutes, and just throw them into the pan with my (sauted w/cooking spray) veggies for about 10 mn or so.

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Bell Peppers - Fresh, Red, Orange, Green, 1/2 pepper
    Nasoya - Pasta Zero Plus All Natural Shirataki Fettuccine, 1.334 cup
    Generic - Raw Zuccini Sliced, 0.5 cup (113g)
    Fresh - Cilantro, 4.5 sprigs
    Mushrooms - Raw, 1 cup, pieces or slices

..I add a few shakes of balsamic vinegar (oops forgot to track that)

A WHOPPING 89 calorie meal!!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat them and love them as an alternative to pasta. There must be different brands, because the ones I buy (House foods Tofu Shiritaki in the little wet pouch) have absolutely no smell at all. I've heard about the bad odor, but these don't have any odor AT ALL! I agree that they are best when used in a stirfry or something. I've tried them as 'spaghetti' and it was Ok, but they are WET! So I had a big pile of liquid on my plate. Same goes for my Thai peanut noodle salad- they dont absorb the spicy peanut sauce... so it turned soupy. But - maybe I should dry them as another poster suggested.
    Here's what I do with them:

1 pouch of noodles 40 calories
    3oz. grilled chicken breast 90 cals
    Misc veggies: sugar snap peas, carrots, zuchinni, onion, cabbage, mushroom, etc. approx. 20cals
    1 tsp soy vey (or your fave sauce) : 45 cals
    A HUGE LUNCH OR DINNER for UNDER 200 CALORIES!!!

I say give 'em a try!!!!
  • kitty_764
    Options
    Does anyone know if they freeze well and if there is somewhere to buy bulk??