Curves

Options

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: As of next month I have been a Curves Member for 3 Years. I was going 6 days a week but in the last 4 months I have cut back to 4 workouts a week.
    I also walk at least 3 miles a day, and I ride the Recumbent Bike and do the Elliptical on Alternate Days.
    :heart: Most Curves Clubs will give you a Free Week to try it out.
  • Milletp
    Options
    I made my own little curves of sorts with minor equipment i.e., jump rope, step, kettle bells, weighted hula hoop, ankle skip rope and lots of squats (so good for ya). Use whatever your favs are and mix it up.
  • princesshill86
    Options
    I have been a member of Curves for about 4 months now and I love it! As you can tell by the variety of replies here, it's definitely about what works for YOU.

For me personally, "regular" gyms are so intimidating... especially if they're co-ed! I don't have a clue where to begin or what to do! At Curves, however, it's a circuit and you can begin wherever you want, and once you learn how to use the machines, you get into a rhythm and move along every 30 seconds. Another thing I love about Curves is that the machines work using hydrollics (sp?) so you can work as hard or lightly as you want. (You control the amount of resistance by how much effort you put in) Because it's a women-only gym, I also feel a lot less intimidated.

I'm 25 and will agree with those who say Curves is mostly for older women, but I actually enjoy that! Some of the older ladies at my Curves are so sweet! Yes, it can also be repetitive and boring, but it's all about attitude! You have to decide to enjoy it or not!

Once you've been going for about a month or so, you have the opportunity to start "Curves Smart" which gives you a tag to put into each machine and it tracks your progress/daily efforts and shows you when you should be pushing yourself harder. It also keeps track of calories burned and at the end of your workout, you log in to the computer and see your results.

I've lost about 10 lbs since starting which is not that great, but I've been discovering that it's not just about exercise... I need to improve my eating habits now too! Curves actually has a diet plan as well, but I don't really know anything about it.

Yes, it's a little on the expensive side, but hey, it's been the only thing that has kept me consistently exercising so in my opinion, it's worth it. Most locations offer specials and promotions, so keep your eyes open. I would encourage you to go in and try it out to see if you like it or not!
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves and LOVED IT!!!! Then I moved towns because of work and the nearest Curves to me is about 20 miles away :(
  • Milletp
    Options
    Fyi.......Why squats?

1. Your body uses over 200 different muscles when performing squats. And getting stronger on squats often has the somewhat “magical” effect of making you stronger on other exercises.

2. strength and power originates in the hips and core. So if you want to increase your overall strength and power, work hard on an exercise that strengthens your hips and core. By this point, I’m sure you can guess the best exercise for developing strength and power in the hips and core. You guessed it: The squat.

3. The squat works the major muscle groups. To recruit more muscle fibers during workouts and improve your fat loss success, focus more on multi-joint or compound exercises like the squat. Compound exercises will help you burn more fat because you are working large muscle groups in your body. You will also burn more calories after your workout.

4. You will tone your bulky and shapely fast twitch muscle fibers better with the squat exercise. I am talking mainly about your butt, hips and thighs. Need I say more?

5. Work your core with squats. Research shows that the abdominal muscles are engaged more when doing squats than they are doing many of the more popular ab exercises. Your lower back will also get quite a workout. If you do the exercise correctly, you won't injure your low back (as many fear).
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I would never join Curves now -- but that's because I've been a regular (with a few hiccups) exerciser for over 5 years now and it wouldn't suit me. I now require more of a challenge than Curves provides. However, when I first got on the fitness wagon, I was over 250 lbs and almost totally sedentary. Curves was awesome for me then. It was easy to do, quick so I always accomplished what I set out to do, and it taught me how to use some of the basic workout machinery. It was a great starting point.
  • minimae428
    Options
    I have been a member of Curves for about 2 months now and I LOVE it! I love the fact that it's "women only" and there is a instructor there to help you with your workouts/machines. I found at the larger gyms you had to pay someone for that training. At first I thought I would get bored but I started the Curves Smart program a couple of weeks ago and it has made me push myself more. It's quick, you can do your 30 minute workout or stay longer if you like. They also offer Zumba if you want to burn more calories!

I also love the fact that I know just about everybody and we hold eachother accountible. It's not for everyone but if you're looking for a starting point and are intimidated by the larger gyms then Curves is a good place to check out. Utilize the free week coupon and check it out.

Good luck!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I loved curves! The routine is repetitive but it gives fantastic results. The first month I was there I was the biggest loser at the gym and won a shirt and a free massage. I don't remember how many inches I lost over all but it was way up there. I was surprised big time! If you want variety I suggest joining a zumba, hula hooping, or other class but I would do it in addition to curves.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh, the reason I am no longer a member is because I moved from Phoenix AZ to Hamburg Germany, there is only one curves in Germany and I think it's in Frankfurt which is a long ways from Hamburg for a work out.
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Curves for about 3 months and am down over 6 inches. It is repetitive and lots of older ladies, but you are in and out in 30 minutes. I do not do Zumba at Curves but I do go to full length zumba classes at another location and wouldn't give it up for anything!!

Does the Curves you are considering have Curves Smart?? It is a computerized and personalized personal training program. It moves you up as you get stronger. It is so much better than the Curves without it. There is no motivation to push harder without the electronic feedback. The Curves Smart has lights that pushes you to push yourself.

The key is to find what works for you! Good Luck!
  • JKBarnett88
    Options
    I worked at Curves for about 3 years! The concept is great, but it can get boring over time doing the same repetitive workout. What I do like about it is that it's 30 minutes which is easy to fit in to your schedule. Right before I stopped working there they had introduced a new aspect to it called "Curves Smart" which is pretty cool. It definitely pushes you harder although I'm not really sure how accurate it really is. A lot of our members were very successful in losing weight.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I noticed alot of people saying thy like the women only feature of curves (which I myself agree with). But some gyms have women's only areas (or at least mine does). Cardio rooms, classes and main gym are all coed but there's a women's only section with weights and some cardio equipment. That's usually where I spend my time. I lift there Bc I'm scared of being out front not knowing what to do (at least until my bf moves here and starts going with me). Oh and the cardio theater... I LOVE the cardio theater.
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i went to curves for a few months, and my thoughts are...

I actually liked that it's sort of mindless and repetitive. You go in, do your thing, get out. Easy.
    I liked the little keytag trainer thing- it lights up green when you're in your target zone, and gives you feedback after every workout.

But the downside-
    Like someone else mentioned, it's seemed like a geriatric social circle. most of the women there were >60 and seemed more interested in chatting than working out. I never saw anyone (but me) break a sweat.

and I'm sure each franchise is different, but the one I was at... well was not great. The machines were always down, and never got fixed... they didn't have zumba, and they close from 12-3 every day, which is when I wanted to go. Hours were not great.

and most importantly- I didn't feel like it was a good workout. To work harder you have to go faster, but what I wanted was HARDER reps, not just more. I got my heart rate up and sweated and worked- it would say I'd burned 450 calories or so... but I didn't lose any weight...

Then I started doing a bootcamp DVD at home, and according to my HRM I'm burning 600 calories or so in an hour. And it's HARD! there is NO WAY I was burning almost that much in that little curves workout.

bottom line- it got me working out again, which is good, and I think it's a good way to ease into "going to the gym". But at the end of the day I don't think it's very effective and their claim of "burn 500 cal in 30 min" simply can't be true.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves for 6 months. I liked it. It's a great way to get into the habit of working out. I loved that it was only women and women who were in the same boat as you. You didn't have to worry about watching men fall over themselves when a woman in some booty shorts, sports bra, and full makeup comes in and bends over to pick up a weight.
    I think it's a nice support system. The other women there are super nice and it helps the work outs go fast. When I joined, I was walking at the in between stations. By the end I was able to jog in place to keep my heart rate up and start getting a good workout there.

My scheduled changed and I couldn't go anymore and they ended up closing.
  • Muirenn
    Options
    Curves was great when I was getting started after years of not moving much it got me up and going. I got some decent support and loved that it was an all girls thing.

I am progressed it was not what I needed, so I moved on. But my time at Curves get's the credit for getting me started
  • monharri
    Options
    same here. i got really bored with curves. i hated going around the circle circuit training section looking at everyone work out in a small room. i like the space la fitness provides. but thats just me! :0)
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new on here and wanted to meet new people who is on the same mission as myself! HOWDY!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new on here and wanted to meet new people who is on the same mission as myself! HOWDY!!

:flowerforyou: Hello, and Welcome to MFP!!
  • kantate3
    Options
    I'm a member of Curves and I like it. I need structure when I work out. You get out of it what you put into it. If you work out hard, you'll see results. But like a few other people said, they usually have a free week voucher you can use to try it out.
  • luv2camp
    luv2camp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is the cost. Do you have to buy a year membership or month to month