Okay, farm fresh hard boiled egg eaters. How do you

Options
2»

Replies

• CharityEaton
    Options
    we have chickens as well and go through a TON of eggs with myself and three munchkins eating one every day for breakfast!
    We have the rotation system as well. One carton is "older" egss and one carton is freshest eggs.
    I bake a ton so I end up buying store eggs every week as well. I save "our" eggs for scrambled eggs and use the store eggs for boiled eggs. Saves me headaches and the kids when they try to peel them.

My oldest loves making scrambled eggs with "chicken" eggs not store eggs. Cracks me up when they ask for "chicken" eggs.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fresh eggs are easy to peel if you know how. I do have chickens and love hard boiled eggs. What I found works is to take them right off the heat and put them in the sink (in the pan still) and run very cold water over them for about seconds. Take the eggs and do a quick smack and roll, (to crack the shell) then put them back in the cold water for just a few more seconds, THEN PEEL. This works perfectly most every time. Good Luck!

the above method usually works for me. After rolling the egg around the edge of the sink (any hard surface, but that's where I am since I'm running cold water on them) I let them sit in the cold water, even changing it as it warms, for several minutes.... not only helps them cook quickly, but providing your "smack and roll" perforated the "lining" (thin white layer between the shell and egg white), waiting will allow water to get between the lining and white. I also begin the peel on the rounded end. this is where the air pocket is, and it's easier to separate the lining from the white at that point. And it's true, the older the egg, the better it peels.... (when you have several dozen in the fridge, it's not hard to choose older ones for boiling, and fresher ones for fluffy omelets, scrambles and baking!)

Still, some eggs just won't peel too easily. I always boil a few more than I need, and if some need to be "pretty" it gives me better odds at achieving that! Overall, the quality is so much better, that "pretty" doesn't always matter.....
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My oldest loves making scrambled eggs with "chicken" eggs not store eggs. Cracks me up when they ask for "chicken" eggs.

That is too cute!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I'll try all of them until I hit on one that works for me.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    cook them? I have a neighbor who has some chickens and he dropped a couple of eggs off yesterday. If fixed them just like I do all my hard boiled eggs. When I peeled them this morning, I lost at least 1/3 of the whites because they stuck to the shell. I always peel them under cold running water. Only one thing was different from my store bought eggs, the eggs had literally just been picked up, so they were still warm when I put them in the water to boil them. Was that the issue?

Any suggestions would be welcomed. This neighbor has promised to keep me in eggs for as long as I like, which is awesome. But I will get very frustrated trying to peel them! LOL

leave the raw eggs on the counter overnight, to age them before boiling
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you get a much better hard-boiled eggs if you use eggs that are at least 7 days old.

Yep, this. I used to have my own hens and I had to use older eggs or the shells always stuck.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen to me with store-bought eggs right after they were cooked. However, in that same batch of eggs, I left a couple in the fridge for two days after they were boiled and when I went to peel them, they peeled fine.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The only time I have trouble peeling eggs is when they are cold. I say, cook them and peel them right away. After mine are done boiling, I dump the boiling water out, put some cold water in the pan, then peel. If they are too hot to hold, I run them under cold water for a couple seconds, then peel.
  • dubord29
    Options
    This how I have started to cook my HB eggs! I use farm fresh and it works great! I hope this link works.

http://momonamission.me/?p=649#url=http://momonamission.me/?p=649
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Roll the egg on the counter, cracking the shell, then peel under running water. Works for our fresh eggs.