how much protein should i eat after a work out?

Options
hi, i've got a lot of weight to loose, 7 stone in fact. i've just started the 30 day shred but unsure of how much protein to eat after the workout, are a couple of brazil nuts enough, i'v no idea? thanks in advance for your help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    How much protein you get after working out isn't as important as your overall daily intake. Just make sure you are hitting or exceeding you daily protein goal.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    How much protein you get after working out isn't as important as your overall daily intake. Just make sure you are hitting or exceeding you daily protein goal.

This
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Have proper macros and youll do fine!

What % are your macros set to?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

yup.

personally, i like a post work out protein shake, made with two scoops of whey protein, 8 ounces of orange juice, and some frozen berries. i might thrown in some plain yogurt and a banana too, if i'm feeling feisty. i usually take it within an hour of working out. its a great way to get refreshed after a work out, replenish some of the nutrients that you need after exercising, and personally it helps me from getting that feeling a couple of hours after a work out where you want to EAT ALL THE THINGS!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    IMO, carbs are much more important after a workout, as you need to replenish the glycogen you used. Without that, any protein you eat right after will end up being used to replenish glycogen, rather than muscle repair.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    IMO, carbs are much more important after a workout, as you need to replenish the glycogen you used. Without that, any protein you eat right after will end up being used to replenish glycogen, rather than muscle repair.

What's going on in a short time period doesn't matter. You've got 24-48 hours after a workout of increased muscle protein synthesis.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    from wht ive learned diet is huge....but suppliment protein isnt needed. it all can come from your diet.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    oh right, thanks guys. opened up my diary for everyone to read now too :happy:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I took quick look at your diary and it looks like you are at the default settings. You'll do a little better if you go into goals/ change goals/custom and reset your macros eg carbs, fat, protien. You want approximately .7 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Drop the carbs to between 75 and 100 grams per day and let the fats fall whereever they do after these 2 adjustments. This will have you on the edge of ketogenesis, reduce cravings and help you lean down IMHO.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    oh right, i'll do that tonight - thanks