Disney World Florida

Options
2»

Replies

• mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We are going the second week in March, and I am kind of nervous about the food and not working out. I've been doing pretty good the past few months, and something like this is where I normally blow it. I'm just hoping I walk enough while I am there to burn off the road food and not cooking for myself.

Any thoughts on plans for eating somewhat healthy?

We are also going the second week in march. I am planning on bringing a cooler with us to bring supplies for lunch and snacks. I plan on packing my lunch and bringing stuff for breakfast. I was also fortunate enough to book us a condo with a full kitchen and gym. Good luck on your trip. you can also check out the places to eat in the parks the day before you go and find the places that have the best options for you. When we go we eat breakfast i our room( cereal, oatmeal, etc), pack our lunch, and then eat dinner at a restaurant away from disney.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Argh, there's Disney World talk and I almost missed it!

Absolutely love Disney World. Used to go with my auntie. She very kindly took me three times over six years,in my adult life (along with numerous times as a young child) but she's going again this year and I've had to put a stop to the trips on my behalf. She's actually travelling alone this time, I think!

Everything about Disney World is magical to me but I'm getting married next year and then it'll be time to start a family not long after. I need to put my serious head on and stop spending money on trips to Florida, even if my aunt did pay for most things for me.

Hopefully in future I'll be able to take my own children.

I've stayed in the Pop Century, Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs resorts, each better than the one before (though I doubt any could beat Coronado Springs...pure luxury). The last time I went I was living my healthy lifestyle and didn't gain any weight, got plenty of walking in and generally looked after my health and body. The time before that was indulgence and eat everything. That's not to say I didn't snack plenty and have junk the last time, just that I was more careful with portions and I counted and logged what I ate, and we were on the Dining Plan.

*sigh* I do love that place...
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Everything about Disney World is magical to me but I'm getting married next year and then it'll be time to start a family not long after. I need to put my serious head on and stop spending money on trips to Florida, even if my aunt did pay for most things for me.

I definitely feel you on that one! We are moving to CA in 2013 so we gotta get a trip into Disney before the move. And it's pretty much gonna be our honeymoon :)
  • jkaupanger
    Options
    I used to work at Disney. As much as I love the place, I would never stay on property. It's just way to expensive. That said, it is a total experience too.
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    Is there a reason you're wanting to stay at one of the deluxe resorts? If it's for the monorail, I really wouldn't bother. If it's to be close to Magic Kingdom, again, I wouldn't bother. The bus system at Disney is extremely efficient and you'll get to and from your destination quickly. The monorail lines can be insane, and the price you pay is almost double than if you stayed in a value or moderate.

This is pretty much our honeymoon (we didn't have $ when we got married so we just went to DC) so we want to stay in a nice hotel. I there are cheaper hotels that are equally as luxurious we are definitely open to that:)

Coronado Springs is really, really nice. It's actually pretty luxurious. It's in the moderate resort category. The rooms received a big over haul recently, and all of the beds have nice bedding, not that polyesterish type of fabric. There are 3 pools, each are nice, a gym, restaurants, and it surrounds a lake. Again, get the preferred room to be close to the bus stops.

Check out Disboards or allears.net. You can see TONS of pictures of rooms at every resort. That should help make your final decision.

Also, we found we didn't use many of the amenities offered, simply because we were too busy in the parks each day.
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome trip! I used to have a AAA card but didn't re-up this year, luckily, I'm military so we get 40% off the resorts.

It will be just me and my husband, no kids yet (honestly, hoping to be pregnant by then) We plan to stay for 3 nights and get a 4 day park hopper. How was the all star movies? Also, what's included in the Deluxe meal plan, I just saw "meal plan" and didn't see if there are different ones.

All Star Movies was fine. It's your basic hotel/motel room. It has 6 two story buildings of rooms, a pool and a food court area where we ate breakfast every morning. The deluxe meal plan included 3 meals and 2 snacks per person per day to be used how ever you want. You can book sit down restaurants for every meal or do quick service. We did 1 sit down "real food" meal a day for either lunch or dinner, ate breakfast in the hotel food court every morning and did a quick service "fast food" meal and snacks in the parks. And basically anything and everything can be used as a snack. Hot pretzel, popcorn, ice cream carts, soft serve places whatever where ever. So easy.

The best part was that we had SO MUCH food allowance b/c we arrived @ 3pm on our 1st day so didn't use a lot of food that day. That allowed us to load up on stuff to take with us to the airport on the last morning since we had like 13 snacks left. So I grabbed fruit cups, yogurts, muffins etc to take with us. Saved a ton on airport food.

So...Yea...Get the meal plan!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My favorite resort is port Orleans riverside! DIS boards are full of info and pics it's my go to place for Disney questions and tips. I love Disney and my favorite thing is running races there!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I REALLY want to run the race there in Nov but I don't think that's gonna be feasible! :(
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The last time I was at Disney was 11 years ago so my memory is fuzzy, but we stayed at the Carribean Resort. It was fine, pools were nice, never complained about any of the food in Disney.

My husband and I have been dying to go, and if I had the money I would totally go for the wildnerness resort! I adore animals/nature so that one would be great, but it's pricier than the Carribean (at least it used to be).

Either way enjoy your trip!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you plan on eating at the park in most of the restaurants you have to make a reservation. The morning you walk in the park.That being said they are expensive, but good! We ate at a Buffet in Wild Kingdom it is towards the back WOW! and it was healthy stuff. couscous, tabbouleh, all kinds of grilled stuff, it has it no no's too. But after you walk All Day Long you can afford a 2000 cal meal.

WIld Kingdom has the Bugs Life Show, SEE IT!!!! It was GReaT!
    But be warned the dino ride here is Rated R. 7yrs and under not a great idea.
    GReat canrival area but the game in this area take credit card only, weird.

Epcot brought back Capt. EO I remember it being better.
    The Buzz Light Year Training Camp was fun.
    Ellen's Energy is the DInosaur ride.
    Mission to Mars is fun but if you don't like being stuck in a refrigerator be forewarned.

OF course, funnel cakes and turkey legs are great at Magic Kingdom.
    Everything is good here.
    If you need to see the princesses do the Tea. You will find the money you pay will save a day of lines. we didn't see a single one but in the parades.

I Have one daughter who is the drama girl so we call Magic kingdom "Tragic Kingdom" for her. All I can say is the prince with Cinderella saved us all. He blew her a kiss. ANd yes we all saw it. LOL
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My wife & I have been to Disneyworld twice in our 6 years of marriage with no kids.

1. Get the unofficial guide to Disneyworld. It has maps & plans for each park. Well worth it. It's updated yearly, so get the 2012 version. We did this each visit & loved our experiences.
    2. The meal plan has been a boon to us both times we went. Be aware that it includes appetizer, entree & dessert at any sit-down restaurant, so by day 3-4 you really don't want a dessert, but it's included. Try to make healthy choices for each meal (Fish, chicken, lean cuts, etc...) Skip the deserts or ask for fruit.
    3. You will typically walk about 8-10 miles per day. That's a decent workout, so make sure you have good walking shoes.
    4. The Wilderness lodge is a beautiful resort. Don't rent a car. Ride the buses there. They come every 10-15 mins and save you the hassle of finding parking.
    5. Get the "park hopper" addition to the tickets; it's inexpensive. This allows you to go to multiple parks each day. This is a great idea since many of the best places to eat are at EPCOT.
    6. Make your dining reservations about 6 months before you go. This will almost guarantee you a seat. This is especially important for places like the Princess Breakfast (Akerhaus (sp?)) or Mickey's California Grill where you can watch the fireworks from your table if you have a late seating.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    April, that cracks me up about tragic kingdom!

cekeys- thanks for the breakdown of info. I wouldn't have even thought about asking for fruit!

The more responses I read the more excited I get!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    6. Make your dining reservations about 6 months before you go.
    A few hours notice worked for me...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The one thing I disliked about staying in the park was the food. I was there for over a week and I was desperate for some fresh vegetables. I would have loved to have a car to go and buy groceries!

Side note: I put my weight loss on hold and ate anything and everything I wanted. But I weighed myself when I got back and I had still lost a pound. You do an unbelievable amount of walking.

The water at the water fountains is chlorinated. I will be taking a Brita bottle to filter it next time. If you don't mind the chlorinated taste, though, my friend took her CamelBak backpack, which was great. You really need that water.