Eek! Sugar!?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Just a fun study since I see so much demonizing of sugar

Note the results of the diet that was 43% sucrose (table sugar)

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.
www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
Weight, REE, percentage total body fat, and percentage trunk body fat

Change in weight for the high- and low-sucrose groups across the course of the study is shown in Figure 1. There were
no significant differences between groups in mean weight, REE, percentage total body fat, or percentage trunk fat
(Table
4). The time effect was significant for weight (P < 0.001, rı2 = 0.88), percentage total body fat (P < 0.001, rj2 0.51), percentage trunk fat (P < 0.001, rj2 0.50), REE (P < 0.001, ı2 0.54), and diastolic (P > 0.001, iı2 0.10) and systolic (P > 0.001, ı2 0.10) blood pressure; all scores decreased over the duration of the study. All group-by-time interactions were nonsignificant (Table 4), indicating that the groups did not differ in the magnitude of this decrease over the duration of the study, ie, there were no treatment effects. As also shown in Table 4, the proportion of variance explained by the interaction term was uniformly small for all variables.

Fasting glucose, TSH, FT3, and FT4

No significant group differences were found for fasting glucose, urine norepinephrine, TSH, VFı, or VF4 (Table 5).
There was a significant time effect for norepinephrine (P < 0.001, ı 0.15) and VF3 (P < 0.001, ij2 0.51), with concentrations decreasing over time. There was a small but significant increase over time in Ff4 (P = 0.001, ‘rj2 0.13). No significant group-by-time interactions were detected (Table 5).

Plasma lipids

Mean concentrations of fasting total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triacylglycerol were not significantly
different between groups
(Table 6). The time effect was significant for all lipid measures: total cholesterol (P < 0.001, ı2 0.63), HDL cholesterol (P < 0.001, ij2 0.73), LDL cholesterol (P < 0.001, ‘q2 0.32), and triacyiglycerol (P 0.04, ı2 0.10). The time-by-group effect, however, was significant for total cholesterol (P = 0.009, ‘rı2 0.16) and LDL cholesterol (P = 0.014, ıj2 0.15), with the low-sucrose group exhibiting a larger decrease than the high-sucrose group for both of these measures (Table 6).

Psychologic and behavioral variables

There were no significant group differences in mean levels of hunger, negative affect, positive affect, depression, or anxiety,
or in the vigilance task
(Table 7). The time effect was significant for negative affect (P < 0.001, tıj2 0.47), depression (P < 0.001, q2 0.29), positive affect (P < 0.001, ı 0.43), and the vigilance task (P = 0.005, q2 0.13), with all subjects improving on these measures. The time effect was also significant for hunger (P = 0.008, ij2 0.08); all subjects reported lower levels of hunger at the end of the study than at the beginning. No significant time-by-group interactions were detected.
[/quote]

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Interesting. This was also published in 1997. Assuming they were correct, I'm surprised more people don't know this. The fact that it was published in 1997 also gives me pause as to why more people don't accept the evidence established here. Have there been studies conducted in the past 15 years or so that have shown otherwise? I'd be curious to find out.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    1RD
  • nkziv
    Options
    Another limitation of this study: it was only conducted over a 6-week time period. Long-term effects on weight or metabolism are left out of the picture. 0verall, not extremely convincing, although it raises some good questions.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In.
  • nkziv
    Options
    Also a small sample size of only like 22 people per experimental group.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Another limitation of this study: it was only conducted over a 6-week time period. Long-term effects on weight or metabolism are left out of the picture. 0verall, not extremely convincing, although it raises some good questions.

Randomized controlled trial of changes in dietary carbohydrate/fat ratio and simple vs complex carbohydrates on body weight and blood lipids: the CARMEN study. The Carbohydrate Ratio Management in European National diets.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11093293?dopt=Abstract

6 month trial, fat loss ended up being similar and both diets lost weight and fat compared to the control group
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Also, it compares sucrose with other carbs. I think many/most people that take issue with the general issue is macronutrient composition, which this study does not address.

Last, unless I am reading the report incorrectly, a very large percentage of the weight loss appears to be lean mass, not fat mass.
  • Acg67
    Options

Agreed.

Also, it compares sucrose with other carbs. I think many/most people that take issue with the general issue is macronutrient composition, which this study does not address.

Last, unless I am reading the report incorrectly, a very large percentage of the weight loss appears to be lean mass, not fat mass.

That could prob be explained by the low protein intake, about 50g/day and they were 210lbs give or take.

The point being people have singled out sugar as some mystical and evil thing that can single handily prevent weight loss when dieting, when it really is about the calories
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Actually, I respectfully disagree on the above. I think most people who are well researched in nutrition would take issue with macronutrient composition because clearly that matters a great deal. But I think there are PLENTY of people who vilify sugar OUTSIDE of it's contribution to macronutrient intake, and the research somewhat addresses that by comparing it with another carb source.

This would be expected given the conditions of the experiment.
  • DL121004
    Options
    That could prob be explained by the low protein intake, about 50g/day and they were 20010lbs give or take.

The point being people have singled out sugar as some mystical and evil thing that can single handily prevent weight loss when dieting, when it really is about the calories

Agree re: protein intake; I noticed that.

I'm still on the fence with regards to the whole sugar/carb issue. I've read a lot on both sides and am just not sure of the definitive answer.

Maybe that's because, as complex an organism as the human body is, we're still learning. {shrug}
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title, before clicking, I thought to myself, "This has Acg written all over it." LoL
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    A 6 week study tells me nothing. The fructose alone will destroy the liver over decades (NAFLD).

I'll be reading this study thoroughly. I've already read quite a bit in the Intro and I'm already seeing some interesting info.

Sugar is an addictive poison. But it poisons your body over long-term - not within 6 weeks. And I'll have to check into the health of the subjects at the start of the study.

Even the major medical establishments are starting to use "addiction" when is comes to sugar. Sugar travels the same brain pathways as opiate drugs (like heroin). Grains contain exorphins which are morphine-like compounds. Also addictive.

Obesity is the body trying to stave off diabetes from the high-carb (i.e. high-sugar) diet that is considered healthy. Some of us have pancreas that will grow new beta cells and pump out more insulin to keep the blood sugar levels under control. Some of us have pancreas that will just burn out. One in every five diabetics is thin (I'm thin IGT). There are probably many more out there but most doctors assume the obesity caused the diabetes so they not going to check the bs of a thin person.
  • DL121004
    Options
    Actually, I respectfully disagree on the above. I think most people who are well researched in nutrition would take issue with macronutrient composition because clearly that matters a great deal. But I think there are PLENTY of people who vilify sugar OUTSIDE of it's contribution to macronutrient intake, and the research somewhat addresses that by comparing it with another carb source.

Maybe. I know there are a lot of "sugar is the devil" folks out there. And some say sugar is no different than "X".

I tend towards the middle.

In terms of energy, a Calorie is a Calorie. Having said that, there are other factors to consider, in my opinion. For example, fruit. While the sugar in fruit may be equivalent to the sugar in table sugar (in terms of pure macronutrient/energy), consuming the fruit is deemed healthier due to the micronutrients and the potential effects of things like fiber in the uptake of those sugars. Another example is fructose content, due to the alternate pathway (compared with glucose), which may prove to be problematic under certain conditions.

For a lean/moderately overweight person, much of this may not matter. Probably doesn't. The further beyond that you go, however, it may become an issue.

/still learning lots
  • Acg67
    Options
    Obesity is the body trying to stave off diabetes from the high-carb (i.e. high-sugar) diet that is considered healthy. Some of us have pancreas that will grow new beta cells and pump out more insulin to keep the blood sugar levels under control. Some of us have pancreas that will just burn out. One in every five diabetics is thin (I'm thin IGT). There are probably many more out there but most doctors assume the obesity caused the diabetes so they not going to check the bs of a thin person.

Obesity is the accumulation of excess body fat, and guess what you can get obese without a high carb diet
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    My god, another sugar is poison claim.
  • DL121004
    Options

:laugh:

Reminds me of some other threads with regards to the toxicity of a substance is dose dependent.

Do I agree with some of the content of that post? Yes. Do I think it's true for all at every level of intake? No.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    In terms of energy, a Calorie is a Calorie. Having said that, there are other factors to consider, in my opinion. For example, fruit. While the sugar in fruit may be equivalent to the sugar in table sugar (in terms of pure macronutrient/energy), consuming the fruit is deemed healthier due to the micronutrients and the potential effects of things like fiber in the uptake of those sugars.

Micronutrients absolutely are relevant and in most cases, natural sugars will be accompanied by beneficial nutrients. But I think it's important to make this distinction rather than the sugar-alarmist claims.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Reminds me of some other threads with regards to the toxicity of a substance is dose dependent.

Absolutely. Water is also poisonous at a certain dose.
  • msfit777
    Options
    Sugar is my "poison" of choice and although I have cut back on it as I have pretty much everything to maintain a healthy weight as I get older, I will NEVER give it up completely. Not even for lent:smile: I saw a Dr. being interviewed who said sugar in moderation is like poison in moderation...so be it!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

:laugh:

As much as I love MFP, I have never seen so much over-complication of a matter in my entire life as in all of the discussion here.