am i calculating this right?

Options
most mornings i have an orange before i leave for work. the one i've been eating says it is 80 calories for 154 grams. a few mornings ago, a thought hit me that i wasn't actually eating 154 grams worth of orange. i cut the "meat" from the rind and eat that. so i started weighing the parts i'm actually eating. the weight has been coming out to around 54 grams. so i've been putting it in my log as approximately 1/3 of that (154 gram) orange. regardless if the entry in the database is 154 grams of orange "meat" or if that includes the rind, i'm only actually consuming a smaller portion of it. am i logging this correctly? hubby says i'm not.

Replies

• mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump...anyone?
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound right for me. The serving size is based on weighing the orange, or any other fruit. The calories are calculated on the fruit part that is eaten, so the skin of an orange, or a banana, is already accounted for. Everything I've read says to weigh the fruit first.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found these two entries in the database:
    Fresh Produce - Medium Orange (W/O Peel)
    35 g
    Calories = 62

Fresh (Whole ... With Peel) - Orange
    100 g (fruit and peel) from Calorie Gallery
    Calories = 63

Based on that, I'd guess that 80 calories for 154 grams includes the peel.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just looked up "orange-raw, navel" and it gave 81 cal for 1 whole orange and 81 cal for 1 cup of segments.