When do you stop feeling fat

Options
I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I feel really, really good and proud about this. My clothing used to be size 3x or 24. Now I wear a size M or S and size 10. While I see and know that my body is a smaller size, there are still those moments when I feel big. I know this feeling will diminish over time but will it really? Or will I always feel larger than normal?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It will come over time. In general, I realize that I have lost weight and look pretty good, but I have times (like today) where I feel like I still weigh what I used to.

Congratulations on an AWESOME weight loss!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Many people never fully get over it. In extreme cases, it leads to things like anorexia.

In the world of recreational bodybuilding, a lot of guys that were formerly obese cannot clear a mental hurdle of eating enough to gain muscle. As soon as the scale goes up a few pounds, they begin to fear they are turning back into that obese person.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It took one year for my brain to catch up with my new body.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Its in your head you have to change your mindset
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    And wow you lost 115 pounds that's as much as a short female weighs!! You should definitely be proud of yourself
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    Many people never fully get over it. In extreme cases, it leads to things like anorexia.

In the world of recreational bodybuilding, a lot of guys that were formerly obese cannot clear a mental hurdle of eating enough to gain muscle. As soon as the scale goes up a few pounds, they begin to fear they are turning back into that obese person.

This is where I am at right now.
    I need to gain muscle but there is a part of my brain that is so scared that if I eat too much or eat the wrong things I will become fat again. It is hard to get past it some days. And other days I have to force myself past and I end up eating way to much. It helped me to put away the scale for good and just focus on athletic performance.

In regard to the OP. My brain is still in turmoil over my weight loss. I am skinny now. Ask anyone who sees or knows me, they will agree. I wear the smallest clothes that some stores sell. But I have alot of loose saggy skin on my stomach, chest and sides. When I see myself in a mirror it looks like fat. It's hard to mentally cope with it but I am trying.
    I may need to save up for an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) but I hope that is not the case.
  • Easygoing4053
    Options
    I am so ft at a size 26 and want so bad to be where you are! I am trying to get back into everything and have made some good changes, how did you do it and what did you do that got you the best results???
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    id like to know the answer to this also -_-
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i went from a size 12 in jeans to a size 6, xl and xxl shirts to smalls and mediums and I still think I'm "fat" somedays. if I need a reminder I look at pictures of myself from back then and look at the size of the clothes I'm wearing. I still have 5 pounds to go but I know whether I am 150 or 145 I look good and 100x better than I looked at this time last year.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think a lot of people are like this. We all have our off days

Even at 120 lbs and a size 5 I feel very fat somedays and wear baggy clothes to hide it. One day we will get over it i hope >.<
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    When you reach your goal it will become a bit more real but until then...its a mental thought process that you have to work through. In some cases body dysmorphia occurs and can create body image issues and eating disorders. You must take care of yourself and not be too critical as this can become a serious mental illness. Just realize you are a much healthier person and as long as you take care of yourself, everything else will fall into place mentally.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened for me yet. Not totally anyways. For me it's more that I usually feel like I'm still fat and only occasionally feel like people say I look. Shopping can be a huge struggle for me because as much as I love it I have trouble believing I can wear certain things. I usually have to take a friend with me who I know will be honest, then she makes me go home and take pictures of my outfits so she has them in her phone and she'll help me pick looks for when we go out. I do okay day to day because I wear jeans and a nice shirt for work everyday but weekends and dates or hangout nights can be rough. :sad:

Somebody said it's a form of body dysmorphia. Others have said My mind just has to catch up to my body.

Someday I will wear a mini-skirt with confidence. :happy:
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    I know the feeling. Logically, I know I've lost weight; I've gone down a couple of dress sizes and the scales say I've lost weight, but when I look in the mirror, all I see is the fat mess that I was/am. I keep finding myself grabbing bits of fat and thinking "So why are these still here?"
    I dunno, maybe I was reading the scales wrong or the whole varying clothes sizes according to the store was coming into play.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 170 lbs and they say it takes a good 5 years for you to adjust to that big a change. I wear a size 8 now, not the 28 I used to and I still think my thighs and butt are huge.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know as well... Not sure that I will ever be able to look in the mirror and NOT see fat chick.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Went from 250ish to 159. Now do iron distance triathlons. Still feel fat. Go figure.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Went from 250ish to 159. Now do iron distance triathlons. Still feel fat. Go figure.

This is how I exactly feel.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    while I dont "feel" fat.. I still sometimes make the mistake of telling fat guy jokes.... and of course that only leads to the "WTF you're not fat" conversation.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds and it took me about 6 months to adjust from seeing a size 14 in the mirror to seeing a size 6/8. I kept seeing the chubby girl but eventually that stopped. Once in a while I still feel "fat". That is easily cured by me looking at old pictures, then I get my needed reality check.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    idk if it ever goes away... :(