Anyone doing the Couch to 5k!?

Options

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing Week 3, Workout 3 tomorrow. I've done very little running in the last 16 years, so I'm excited to be getting back into it. I was afraid a knee injury,10 months ago, might derail my plans. I worked to strengthen the knee before I started, and, so far, it's holding up well. I feel more confident having an easy plan to follow. When I had lay-offs from running in the past, I would start back with a quarter mile and add a quarter mile each week. Now that I've "matured," it's probably best to start a little slower with this plan. I left the house to jog/walk without my cell phone yesterday, but I remembered I'm 60 and have a history of T.I.A.s, so I went back for it. How did I get so old so fast? :laugh: I guess it doesn't matter, as long as I'm still having fun.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I want to try it, but is being 51 years old too old? I've seen the website and would LOVE to be able to run a 5K this year. Let me know your thoughts...congratulations on your efforts! That's great!:smile:

I completed it at 42. I have a friend in her 70's who started running a couple of years ago, and has completed a 5K since. I'm not sure if she used c25K, but I think you can learn to run at any age. Just start slowly and gradually. (C25K is very gradual) And who cares how fast you are? I'm just proud that I can run for extended times!

I am 45 and just over 200lb's - never ran before - just repeat each week as many times as you want - it is all good :-)
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped in the past but I am planning on restarting and finally FINISHING this time. I'll be doing W1D1 today - wish me luck! feel free to add me too - i need any and all the help I can get :)
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Re-starting this week! Feel free to add me :) I could use some buddies for encouragement too - running is my arch nemesis!
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've given myself the imediate goal of signing up for a 5K imediatly following the end of the program. March 25th is my big day!

I will also sign up for a 5k every month after that, and be sure to run for 45 minutes 3x a week.

Also, depending on how 5k feels on a regular basis, I'd like to start training for 1/2 marathon. I've downloaded Bridge to 10K and plan to start that on April 2nd. Following that, I have to learn how to train for a 1/2 marathon, and complete training before October - when I want to do my first 1/2 marathon. Wish me luck :))
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I updated my C25K a while back and it changed the name to Ease into 5K, so the run times are slightly different, but I honestly think they are better. I finally made it to week 3. I was on week 1 for months. That is how badly out of shape I was in! Week 2 I think I spent a week or two on, then I have finished week 3 today. I am going to try week 4 at my next run. I'm not sure I can run for 6 minutes in a row, but that is coming up. We'll see. Feel free to friend me if you would like! You're a bit ahead of me and it would be nice to see how your progress goes.
  • debte
    debte Posts: 4
    Options
    I have never been a runner and completed my first 5K last summer in 32.07 at age 46. You can do this!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped in the past but I am planning on restarting and finally FINISHING this time. I'll be doing W1D1 today - wish me luck! feel free to add me too - i need any and all the help I can get :)

Good Luck! I just finished day 2 of week one...I'm such a dork but I'm LOVING it...I get all proud and feel so accomplished haha
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've given myself the imediate goal of signing up for a 5K imediatly following the end of the program. March 25th is my big day!

I will also sign up for a 5k every month after that, and be sure to run for 45 minutes 3x a week.

Also, depending on how 5k feels on a regular basis, I'd like to start training for 1/2 marathon. I've downloaded Bridge to 10K and plan to start that on April 2nd. Following that, I have to learn how to train for a 1/2 marathon, and complete training before October - when I want to do my first 1/2 marathon. Wish me luck :))
    I tried the Bridge to 10K and did not love it. I think it would be okay if it was a little more gradual. Although my cardiovascular fitness is very capable of 10K, (I always feel like I could run forever at the end of my runs and occaisionally run for an hour or more at a time without feeling winded) adding that much time every week using the Bridge schedule really made my knees and hips ache. I'd like something that didn't up my mileage quite as much each week to allow my body to adjust.

Any suggestions?
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on w5d3, its going pretty good, I do have to admit I'm alittle nervous about the 20min run. I signed up for a 5k but its not until July. I'm thinkning I should try one prior to that.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am going to officially start C25k on March 6th. Today I tried jogging on the treadmill for a minute at a time @ 4.7 pace. I walked for 3 minutes inbetween at 3.0. I just wanted to see if I could do it on the treadmill and I can which means, I can start C25K sooner instead of waiting until the time change to do it in the evenings :)
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    I want to try it, but is being 51 years old too old? I've seen the website and would LOVE to be able to run a 5K this year. Let me know your thoughts...congratulations on your efforts! That's great!:smile:

No way, 51 is not too old! Try it!
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 10k and starting with the couch to 5k, feel free to add me. Its amazing and I love the results so far!
  • hoylematt
    hoylematt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple times to do the C25K, but I feel like my knees and ankles always start yelling at me after about the 3rd week. Do you guys have any tips to avoid that?
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    I have decided to start this week! So ready :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple times to do the C25K, but I feel like my knees and ankles always start yelling at me after about the 3rd week. Do you guys have any tips to avoid that?

It is adding time too fast for you. Just repeat each week once or twice before going to the next one. The same thing happens to me if I try to add too much mileage each week. (and I've been running over 15 miles a week most weeks for 2 years). Just be very gradual. Also, buy the best running shoes you can afford.

Don't worry if you don't finish the program in the allotted time (is it 9 weeks? I can't remember.). Just add time at your own pace, and you can do it. I think I had to repeat several weeks in the middle of the program.
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    Completed Day 1 of Week 1 today :) It was sure a workout for me :)
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I started W1D1 yesterday. Does anyone want to list how their C25K program works? I've found so many different ones. Mine has 3 weekly workouts for 9 weeks. It starts off in week 1 with 5m warmup, then alternates 60s jogging and 90s walking for a total of 20 minutes. Is this too short a time? I burned about 144 calories yesterday doing this.

Also, would doing it everyday be bad for me? I just feel like I want to do it again today, and the schedule is only for 3 days a week.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)
  • laineylynnfit
    Options
    I started W1D1 yesterday. Does anyone want to list how their C25K program works? I've found so many different ones. Mine has 3 weekly workouts for 9 weeks. It starts off in week 1 with 5m warmup, then alternates 60s jogging and 90s walking for a total of 20 minutes. Is this too short a time? I burned about 144 calories yesterday doing this.

Also, would doing it everyday be bad for me? I just feel like I want to do it again today, and the schedule is only for 3 days a week.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

I have the official Active.com Couch-to-5k app and I am on W1 -- will complete day 2 tomorrow and it's the exact as you described.

However, I'm interested in your calories burned. Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Where did you get the burned calories information? I use the treadmill and wear a HRM with chest strap and I burned over 300 calories.

Also, I read somewhere that you should skip a day inbetween but maybe I'm just thinking of strength training. If you are new to it though, I would stick to what it calls for and not try to do more so that you body gets in the routine and also to avoid injury but you know what's ok and what not for your own body :-D Maybe someone who is more advanced should advise on that part! :):) GOOD LUCK! I will be completing Day 2 tomorrow!
  • daizylibra
    Options
    I did C25k and I highly recommend registering for a race at the end of your plan. It's so motivating.

I got totally hooked, and then signed up with Team in Training to do a half marathon in Alaska to benefit The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my father.

I finished with a great time and was so thrilled.

Then I broke my foot, but that's besides the point.