Is it possible to have too much fiber/protein in your diet?

Options
I just finished lunch and right now I'm already over by 8 in protein and 4 in fiber. Is there any negative side effects that could occur because of that?

Replies

• 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi I usually aim for about 2 oz at lunch time and about 4-5oz at supper...Fiber in my cereal in the morning, oatmeal or bran....The rest of the day, usually veggies....to make up .......
  • basil24
    Options
    No, that sounds fine. The limits on MFP for protein and fiber are a bit low. You'll know if you're getting too much of either if your stomach is upset.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    25-40g fiber daily is great
    1g protein for each pound lean bodyweight is great, too
  • darbobo
    Options
    MFP protein and fiber settings are set pretty low anyways,, you should be OK. I go over by at least 50 protein everyday
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Nope. There's nothing wrong with being over in protein or fibre.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on fiber. MFP lowballs it, the average woman needs 20-25g fiber a day. I go over my protein every day and stay under my carbs. I think as long as what you're doing works for you and isn't too crazy then you're fine :)

If you REALLY go nuts on the fiber you might experience some...er...digestion irregularities.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    looked at you diary, you. are doing fabulous :)
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I just finished lunch and right now I'm already over by 8 in protein and 4 in fiber. Is there any negative side effects that could occur because of that?

Fiber - too quick of an increase can lead to issues in the bathroom (think #2)
    Protein - way too much over extend periods can cause liver issues.

Way back when I got interested in protein nutrition (for weightlifting), I did a lot of reseach, and what I came away was to take 1gramm of protein per KILOGRAMM of body weight daily. So a 220 lb man (100 kg), would take 100g of protein a day. That research also suggested that professional bodybuilders go into the 2g/kg rate, but doing that long term can mess with your liver.

Personally, at the time I weighed roughly around that, so I took 50g extra a day as whey protein (in shakes before and after working out), and figured I get another 40-50g from typical diet. I have been doing that for more than five years, had no issues with liver or anything like that (tore an achilles tendon, but that was a different story).

A couple years ago I learned about the recommendation to increase fiber as a helpful step in weight control, and I have done so, and have no adverse observations to report.

Since on MFP (almost a month now), I have been anywhere between 30-50g of fiber daily and 100-150g of protein a day, and can't say that I noticed anything.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Different types of fiber have different effects too. So, you just have to see what works for you. If you eat 50g of fiber and start having some tummy issues, cut it back. The protein bars that I eat have 18g of fiber in them. I've eaten 2 - 3 bars in a single day along with fruits and veggies (60 - 80g of fiber in a day) and have zero stomach issues. If you don't get bound up or bloated, etc, you are fine.

A good minimum goal for protein is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. If you don't know your lean body mass, then shoot for 1gram per pound of your goal weight. Exceeding that amount of protein is also fine as long as you don't have kidney issues.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your protein goal is too low!