My diary is closed.

Options
:wink: Why? Because it is MY diary. It is MY choice to have it open or closed. I write MYself notes, I am 100% honest with MYself because if I am not, the only that hurts is ME. If I had people critiquing what I eat, I would NOT write it down and who is that helping? Whether i am dieting or not, I don't tell ANYONE what I eat and how much and when, but you can bet your bum that the scale lets me know when I have screwed up:blushing: . Lots of times I do 'quick add' calories because I write everything down at home in the evenings and enter it when I get to work in the morning. I don't have lots and lots of time to enter 12 different items, but since I wrote the cals down I can enter them all at once and write a quick note to myself as to what it was. So, no... it's not alcohol calories for those of you who are quick to think that :laugh:

I am not here on MFP to have people tell me when, what, or what not to eat. I am here for the support and encouragement to keep on going. So the next time you make a "What is with these private diary people?" type comment... try and remember ME. Not everyone wants to share the info, and we, who choose not to, all have our own reasons. :flowerforyou: This journey is INDIVIDUAL... just because YOU do it one way, doesn't mean that we all have to. :heart:

Just thought I would put in my two cents on WHY I don't, since everyone seems to ask "what's with THOSE people that need to keep secrets"... :tongue:

Replies

• mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I actually have wondered this before. I don't blame you, some people can just be ruthless with their unsolicited "advice."
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed too, and that's because of the (hopefully few) judgemental people I've seen on the forums who seem to like to criticise. I know I mess up my food sometimes, I don't need other people to tell me I have.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like to keep mine open. It actually makes me eat healthier, because I run the risk of someone saying I am not eating well :). I do get tons of great tips from people when I ask for tips. I find keeping the diary open keeps you accountable. No one on my friends list would go and be like "way to screw things up" Hahaha
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I only have mine open to friends and because, for me, it keeps me accountable. Everything I eat, I write down, because you're right that it affects me.

We all have to do what is right for us as individuals and I respect your choices :)
  • pilgrimtone
    Options
    Leave it closed if that is your thing, its YOUR record not mine or anyone elses, I had my brother telling me that I was going the wrong way about losing weight, he thinks I should follow his lead and eat "Banana Sandwiches" for a week, the weight will just fall off.........maybe but it would just go back on again too I bet lol.
    We all do whats best for us individually and the very best of luck I wish you all.

P.S: Anyone not happy with the way I am going about it well...............................Tough lol
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    LOL. Do what feels the most comfortable for you of course. i don't know how mine is tbh. But the way I eat, I don't think I'm a model healthy eater. I drink way too much (says I, as I'm enjoying my vodka martini).
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Lol. Good for you.
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree 100. My diary is closed. I use the log to keep track of calories and nutrients.. I don't use it on weekends. I don't need MFP "support" as much as others. I am losing weight, I am healthy & I am okay with that. lol.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    :wink: Why? Because it is MY diary. It is MY choice to have it open or closed. I write MYself notes, I am 100% honest with MYself because if I am not, the only that hurts is ME. If I had people critiquing what I eat, I would NOT write it down and who is that helping? Whether i am dieting or not, I don't tell ANYONE what I eat and how much and when, but you can bet your bum that the scale lets me know when I have screwed up:blushing: . Lots of times I do 'quick add' calories because I write everything down at home in the evenings and enter it when I get to work in the morning. I don't have lots and lots of time to enter 12 different items, but since I wrote the cals down I can enter them all at once and write a quick note to myself as to what it was. So, no... it's not alcohol calories for those of you who are quick to think that :laugh:

I am not here on MFP to have people tell me when, what, or what not to eat. I am here for the support and encouragement to keep on going. So the next time you make a "What is with these private diary people?" type comment... try and remember ME. Not everyone wants to share the info, and we, who choose not to, all have our own reasons. :flowerforyou: This journey is INDIVIDUAL... just because YOU do it one way, doesn't mean that we all have to. :heart:

Just thought I would put in my two cents on WHY I don't, since everyone seems to ask "what's with THOSE people that need to keep secrets"... :tongue:

LOL You tell'em, sistah! Mine is open to friends only for that reason....
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed but really who cares what someone may say about what you are eating. There may be some helpful advice among the negative. Anyway, whatever makes you comfortable and gets you to goal and maintenance for life.
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    I agree..... I keep mine closed too. It is my diary, my eating & my life.

Support is available if you want/need it/want to give it and we can motivate each other too, that is what is so successful about this site.

This journey is difficult enough without being 'judged' too..:wink:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends only. I think if I made it public I'd probably want to lie when I have a crazy binge.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The only time I get annoyed with closed diaries is if someone comes into the forums and asks for help. Without an open diary you can't give decent advice.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    its fine to have your diary closed. but then dont come asking people for help when you are struggling.

i know it sounds harsh, but if people cant see what you are doing, they cant help.

its like rining tech support to say that your phone is broken, then not telling them what your trying to do or what phone you have.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    I also keep my closed to non-friends...I found it annoying when people would PM me about eating choices I've made.

I've also never asked for help on the forums specific to my diet. Maybe advice here and there on very general things (like eating too little sodium, or good recipes). While I find alot of good tips are on here from other people's posts, there are so many different opinions on whats right and whats wrong that I just get confused by the answers!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Oh God, I'd die if anyone saw my diary - not so much for the food, but because I add notes about things like my skin breakouts (to see if any foods make them worse), periods, bowels etc. To be honest i am sure most people would not want to read that kind of thing, either, so I am doing everyone a favour by keeping mine private!
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I do quick add calories a lot too, sometimes it is just easier and quicker, who cares what anyone else thinks this is about improving for ourselves not anyone else!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Good for you. That is your perogative and whatever works for you is what's best for you. Getting snarky comments on your food choices is just as bad as the WTG and AWESOME comments when you (I) have eaten like crap all day. Keep at it!!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better now?
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually suggest to new people to open their diaries to their friends. Its just another way to be accountable. Plus, you can get ideas from others and possibly give others ideas from yours. Yes, we all know what we should and shouldnt eat...we could all pass the written test, but how about the actual?