Does it matter if exercise time is 'earned' in increments?

Options
Maybe this is a dumb question. When I exercise, does it matter if the total amount of time I enter was actually compiled of several smaller increments? I have a meeting tonight - I will probably run there (approximately 10 minutes). Two hours later, I will run back home (another 10 minutes) and after the kids are settled into bed, I might squeeze in another short one. Is it 'accurate' to enter that as 30 minutes of running even though it wasn't done all at the same time?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It will give you the same amount of calories either way.
  • savdbygrac
    Options
    Calorie burned is calorie burned. As far as logging it, yes, add them all up.
  • Shaigirl79
    Shaigirl79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I vaguely remember reading an article not too long about about how exercise is exercise. Basically whether you walk/run for 30 minutes straight or you do ten minutes here and there and here again... it's all equals out to be the same thing. Personally, some days when I'm really not feeling it... I'll do 15 minutes on the treadmill and come back later for another 15 minutes. :-)
  • onofrebabe
    onofrebabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read (from Jillian Michaels) that its the sustained time that really gives the benefits. Though mathmatically you are burning calories, its also the mechanics of having your heart rate up for a sustained amount of time. The longer that is raised, the longer the higher metabolism is kept AFTER the workout. Time is tough to find for working out (I know, i have a 60+ hour/wk job, 2 toddlers & being a single mom- its TOUGH). Sorry, but you get better benefits by working out in 30 min chunks.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have read (from Jillian Michaels) that its the sustained time that really gives the benefits. Though mathmatically you are burning calories, its also the mechanics of having your heart rate up for a sustained amount of time. The longer that is raised, the longer the higher metabolism is kept AFTER the workout. Time is tough to find for working out (I know, i have a 60+ hour/wk job, 2 toddlers & being a single mom- its TOUGH). Sorry, but you get better benefits by working out in 30 min chunks.

That's not necessarily so, and I'd be surprised if she said that -- perhaps you misinterpreted? You need to provide a reference. If Jillian really said that I question her wisdom. Read others on interval training vs. "staying in the zone" cardio. Intervals beat sustained for calories burned per unit of time.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I actually read somewhere that sometimes breaking it up is better because it raises your metabolism more times in a day. ANyways I don't think there's anything wrong with logging it that way, you don't really have any choice :) and even if I do 2 exercises at two different times it adds it together for my daily/ weekly total. Anything is better than nothing, it's about getting your body to move!