Workout question!

Options
The place where I work has a little gym (includes a stationary bicycle, a treadmill, and an elliptical)..So on my breaks I always work out.

I have been breaking my workouts up into three 10/15 minute intervals...is that as effective as doing 30/45 minutes at once? Im a single mother...so I find it difficult to get to a gym after I leave work because when I go home, its mommy time!

I guess I'm just worried that since I'm not excercizing for a long period of time that im not getting what Im needing...if that makes sense!

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would think that as long as you're getting your HR up enough, short workouts would be fine.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hey, if the only time you can get in a workout is in 3 10-15 minute intervals, I still think you're doing a great job!
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would think that as long as you're getting your HR up enough, short workouts would be fine.

Agreed.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, and my work outs are all broken up like that sometimes. I figure as long as you are up and doing more than you were, that you are doing great.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Think INTENSITY not duration...and you'll achieve your goals.

Make those minutes count! Push yourself.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    The place where I work has a little gym (includes a stationary bicycle, a treadmill, and an elliptical)..So on my breaks I always work out.

I have been breaking my workouts up into three 10/15 minute intervals...is that as effective as doing 30/45 minutes at once? Im a single mother...so I find it difficult to get to a gym after I leave work because when I go home, its mommy time!

I guess I'm just worried that since I'm not excercizing for a long period of time that im not getting what Im needing...if that makes sense!

Ah, I just heard about this from the wellness center folks here. As long as your activity is at least 10 minutes, it is practically equivalent to have 3x 10 minute sessions as a single 30 minute session. I found it strange personally, but apparently this is something the FDA backs in its recommendations.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your dedication is admirable! Yes you can split your exercise into smaller time chunks - good for you in doing that!
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I totally agree that the Intensity is what's important. If you are moving and pushing yourself for those three sessions, you will be just fine along with eating right. Great dedication...
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :happy: Well done you for managing to get any exercise in, you have my admiration . Keep at it, it's got to be better than not doing any.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • kriggs1976
    Options

Do not hesitate taking the little one with you for a nice walk to, if you think you need more of a workout on a certain day. You both will love it. I am all for walking, that is the best workout...
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be even better for you. Think of it as three fifteen minute periods where you jack your heart rate as opposed to doing it only once.

Can't verify this but....My understanding is that your when you workout, your metabolism is boosted for up to 19 hours afterwards. If every time you workout that 19 hour clock starts back at zero... that sounds pretty fantastic to me.

just my 2 cents
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options

^^ That.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    i was curious about this and i tested this last fall at the gym. i measured my amount of calories burnt, doing 3x15mins and 1x45mins (on 2 diff. days). i took 10 min breaks between the 15min work outs.
    i burned almost 100 kcal more during the 45mins work out but this of course doesnt mean that it's not (fitnesswise) effective.
  • karenCalandro
    Options
    Yes............ just as effective as doing 30 to 45 minutes at a time!! Keep up the good work
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Are you doing intervals? i.e. going at a slow pace for a little while and a much faster pace for a little while? You can do a ratio of 2:1 slow: fast and this is MORE effective than doing 30-45 minutes at the same pace.

Try it out! Go as fast as you can for 1 minutes, go at a moderate pace for 2 minutes and repeat this about 3 times (warm up and cool down for 3 minutes on either side). Do this twice a day!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/how-1-minute-intervals-can-improve-our-health/
  • GinaBinaFaye
    GinaBinaFaye Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me!
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers and support! :) I wish my breaks at work were longer because I actually enjoy working out! I have had so many people come up to me and tell me how awesome I'm doing, that is always nice to hear!

If we all stick together and give support, it makes this journey so much easier! <3

Thanks again!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    longer duration all together is better than short workouts with intervals. eg. an hour workout > 4 sessions of 15 minutes. Mainly because this way your heart rate is up most of the time and you get more bang for your buck. HOWEVER, in your case i think you're doing it perfectly right. You're atleast getting up and going on and not telling yourself "oh well, not enough time". Thats the attitude thats putting you in the right path.

Like somebody else said, I would up the intensity so those 10-15 minutes of workout you do can put people who do 2 hours of workout to shame :)

Best of luck and keep on moving!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A. you've already lost 35# so you're doing something right

B. strive to get your heartrate up into the "fat-burning" zone. For you: your max heartrate is estimated at 220-your age, or 194. Your aerobic (fat-burning zone is between 65% -85% of that (126 - 165 beats/min.). Use a heart monitor or the machine's heart monitor and try and get to 126 as quickly as you can, and stay above it for as long as you can with maybe a two minute cool down at the end or each work out.

Longer workouts are better because you only spend the minutes to get into your FB zone ONCE, not 3 times. But 3 is better than NONE.