For runners who take smart phones..

Options
..where the heck do you put it?
I got a Samsung Galaxy SII recently and was excited that I'd finally be able to use all the fancy apps and GPS thingies to track my runs - but quickly realised that the phone wouldn't fit in any of the back pockets on my 3 pairs of running tights as they are far too small, I eventually managed to alter one pair to make the pocket bigger and today I tried it for the first time (not out running thankfully, just doing a Turbofire work out at home), the phone sits so far down that it looks and feels ridiculous and it's so heavy that within a few minutes of jumping around my pants were practically down by my ankles! I don't want to be worrying about having to keep pulling my pants up while I'm out running! I'm also not sure I want it that close to my skin as I don't want it getting wet/damp with sweat.

So how do you handle it? Where do you put yours?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bump... I've had this same issue. I had a SPI belt, which I loved, but my phone got wet from my sweat. Started not taking it on my runs and am simply using my MP3 player instead.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Right now when I've run or walk I put mine in my pocket but I'm not sure what I will do when it gets warmer and I don't wear a jacket.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have an arm strap. Mine cost me barely anything. These ones are a bit more expensive than mine was, but the same thing and very, VERY useful.

http://store.endomondo.com/accessories/armbands-phone-cases.html/
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I run with my iPhone. I have an arm band I wear. Its the best...I use my gps tracker and my iTunes and its perfect. Does your phone fit into an arm band?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally I found the arm band quite uncomfortable. I had to tighten it so much to get it to stay up on my arm! I have a waistband which I carry my key, swipe card, iPhone and two mini bottles of water. I swivle it round so its on the small of my back, rather than on the front. I've learned to be able to grab the water bottles from behind. I don't notice it when running. It was from a cheap sports store.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I hold mine, but if it starts to rain I actually stick it in my sports bra! But most of the time, it's in my left hand.

You get used to holding it, after a while. I put my running playlist on it, and I like that when I hold it I can easily use iTunes and the mapping feature. I DO have a really nice Otterbox case for it, because I was concerned about dropping it on the pavement during my run.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ran with mine in my sports bra for the longest time. Then, I finally ponied up the $15 (what the heck was I waiting for?!) for an arm band made for my type of phone. Using the apps has helped me be more fit because I get really competitive with myself - did I go faster/farther than yesterday?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a SpiBelt, which I LOVE. Fits my phone and keys with some room to spare. No bouncing. I haven't had the sweat problem yet but I haven't run in warm weather with it - for winter running it goes on the outside of my shirt but under my jacket.
  • flong1975
    Options
    I love my spibelt! I only got it a few months ago so when I have used it, it was between layers of shirts. I have a silicone case on my phone so I do not think sweat will bother it. I put the earphone jack facing the end of the zipper and I pull the earphones up through my shirt and out the neck. Before that, I just held it... after a while, you don't realize it's there.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone (in an Otterbox). I just run with it in my right hand. This way I can see the distance/speed/time on my app (Runkeeper) while running and can also control the volume of the Pandora station that I listen to (since I don't wear earbuds).
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I either use an arm band... or I tuck it in the magazine pocket of my firearm holster.

(and before anyone here thinks im nuts for running with a gun..... If you ran where I do sometimes, Id think you were nuts for not having one. lol)
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Arm band, and I bought an indestructible phone so I don't have to worry about it getting wet.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra over my regular one, and I tuck it between the two bras. this cuts down on the sweatiness, but keeps it secure. I also have an otterbox, so myphone is pretty moisture-resistant.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used to use an arm band for my ipod and found it really uncomfortable and was always having to readjust it. (maybe because it was a cheapo one off ebay? Perhaps I'd get on better with a better one?)
    I definitely wouldn't be comfortable just carrying the phone in my hand, I can drop it just walking around the house never mind running, I am pretty clumsy.
    Similiarily there's no way I'd trust it to just stay in my sports bra on it's own - I'd be worrying about it falling out the whole time.

Annnd if I had it in my gun holster...I'd be arrested...we don't run with guns in the UK lol

I will look into the other options/suggestios though - but still keep em coming :)
    Thanks for the input.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    For those of you with SPI belts who have a problem with your phone getting wet because of sweat - the easiest solution is to stick your phone in a sandwich bag. Voila! No more wetness. I do this when I run in the rain.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I used to use an arm band for my ipod and found it really uncomfortable and was always having to readjust it. (maybe because it was a cheapo one off ebay? Perhaps I'd get on better with a better one?)
    I definitely wouldn't be comfortable just carrying the phone in my hand, I can drop it just walking around the house never mind running, I am pretty clumsy.
    Similiarily there's no way I'd trust it to just stay in my sports bra on it's own - I'd be worrying about it falling out the whole time.

Annnd if I had it in my gun holster...I'd be arrested...we don't run with guns in the UK lol

I will look into the other options/suggestios though - but still keep em coming :)
    Thanks for the input.

Ahh, you're in the UK! The arm band I use was from Tesco. This one:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-0127.aspx

Incredible thing.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

that just means you have more room in there for the phone....
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Phone in ziplock then in sports bra
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I end up carrying it in my hand.