LOW IORN but I hate livers, oysters, etc that has high iorn

Options
2»

Replies

• swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think I may have an iorn deficiency. Not that I think I'm anemic becaues I don't have all the signs but I especially get tired, cold, and winded during menstration. I do not enjoy any of the high iorn foods like oysters and liver and iorn pills DO NOT AGREE WITH ME. Any one have any ides for getting in the RDA. I have yet to meet the requiremens suggested on MFP.
    You can have iron deficiency without anaemia. I have, in the past, had dangerously low iron levels but not been anaemic. I would strongly urge you to see your doctor for a blood test to work out exactly what the problem is. If it is an iron deficiency they will work with you to figure out the best course of treatment.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    By the way, Vitamin C is essential for the uptake of Iron, so if you eat a lot of iron enriched foods but not enough Vitamin C you won't absorb it
  • sgustilo
    Options
    I know that chocolate is not a good word on this sight, but dark chocolate covered raisins are good. Went to give blood and my iron was low, was given a list of foods to eat and dark chocolate is good...also tuna, dark meat chicken and turkey.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a healthy vegetable and worth eating for other reasons, but it does not have unusually large quantities of iron, that's a myth. Plus spinach is not a source of iron that you can absorb much from anyway.

If you're concerned, have a blood test, but be wary of taking medical advice from complete strangers on the internet. Many of them are well intentioned but ignorant.

Read articles on well respected sites, educate yourself, don't expect other people to do it for you, or you might end up with some truly "interesting" opinions! :bigsmile:
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Total cereal. One cup has the amount you need in a day,
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Bumpity...I need more ideas for iron too!
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Total cereal. One cup has the amount you need in a day,

And for folks that like a lighter cereal, Rice Krispies. They have 50% of the daily iron needs in one serving. Oddly enough, the Walmart version of Rice Krispies has 60% of iron requirements in a serving.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    are your gums bright pink? the pink part of your eye- is it pale or white or hot pink? if it's NOT hot pink or red, you need to get your iron levels tested by your dr.
    Anemia isn't something you can self-treat because you can overdose on iron. Too much iron is just as bad as not enough.
    I would have the dr check it
    That said - raisins are high in iron, for food. green leafy veggies like spinach & kale. It's impossible (I'm told) to replenish your iron with food alone tho- IF your iron is low, you'd need a supplement.
    you can try geritol- many ppl do take that but MY serious advice is to consult your doctor

a shame you don't like liver- I LOVE liver & onions. I eat Lee's chicken livers probably once a month nummy nummy
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take Bariatric Advantage Lemon-Lime Chewable Iron (w/60 mg 270 count bottle):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041INS2E/ref=wms_ohs_product
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My iron was always low until I went vegetarian, LOL. Probably related to my celiac disease and an intolerance for beef and dairy. I probably had low-level intestinal bleeding that was depleting my iron stores. And iron pills made me throw up. You should get checked before you worry too much about your iron levels, and find out whether it is low or not. If it is low, it may be worth it to check for celiac disease as well, as it may be a malabsorption problem rather than intake problem.

Eat lots of beans, dark greens, whole grains, dried fruit. Cook in cast iron, especially high-acidity foods like tomato sauce. Pair high iron foods with high vitamin C foods for absorption. If you take a mineral supplement (calcium especially), do not take it at the same time as your high iron foods. Don't just eat one particular kind of greens, particularly spinach, as the high oxalate greens will block some of your iron absorption.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When/If you eat iron-rich foods make sure you pair it up with plenty of vitamin C (the two work well together) so your body can better absorb the iron.

Cereal and dried fruit are great sources of Iron. As are roasted pumpkin seeds, Dark Chocolate (real cocoa) and Hummus...

here's a link:
    http://www.empowher.com/diet-amp-nutrition/content/8-iron-rich-foods-red-meat-not-included
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I take a raw food based multi with iron and it doesn't affect me.

I also eat a lot of lentils, chickpeas (or falafels), eggs, spinach, kale, almonds and mangoes.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Biomisty/Court 182

Get your blood checked with yer Dr, get it checked for B12 too.

If your Iron is low, that's easy and not unpleasant to fix with a daily spoon of this stuff.

Ferrous Sulfate Elixir supplements, For Iron In Very Efficient Form - 16 Oz

That's sold in Amazon both usa and uk. It's much easier to absorb that pills and works like a charm.

What you are reporting _sounds_ as if it might be B12 deficiency, there are numerous causes and treatments for that. You have to know the cause first.

IF you are B12 deficient due to the inability to create intrinsic factor, don't waste time with under the tongue tabs, forget it. Get the monthly injection tout de suite. Once those cells are gone, they're gone and you need B12 immediately. No other way of getting it.

brendan
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, if you can find it.

this!

and fancy molasses works too - a bit higher in calories, a bit lower on the iron but it's still good. Growing up (w/o much $$) this is what my mom gave us for breakfast (w/toast) mm mmm =)
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I am the same way
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses, if you can find it.

this!

and fancy molasses works too - a bit higher in calories, a bit lower on the iron but it's still good. Growing up (w/o much $$) this is what my mom gave us for breakfast (w/toast) mm mmm =)

When I went to give blood my iron was too low, and the nurse at the donor center told me that one woman came in with low iron, downed a couple spoonfuls, and her iron level was WAY high the very next day! I'm going to try it next time I give.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. They can do an actual blood test to find out. I was borderline anemic when I lost a lot of weight back in high school and I took an iron supplement once a day.