running

Options
im sure this has been posted if so sorry anyway what are some good foods to eat before a run and what helps with recovery after thanks for any advise

Replies

• Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    oranges!! and bananas
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    half a bagel, english muffin, or whole wheat waffle with PB.

recovery - chocolate milk!!!!!
  • Jlopez201
    Options
    I hear bananas help decrease your chances of cramping.. I usually get a banana.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple with peanut butter before most workout sessions (running or otherwise) and I used to drink chocolate milk after running b/c I'd read in runner's world that it is the perfect mix of carbs and protein for recovery. I don't anymore b/c I'm trying to follow a cleaner lifestyle and chocolate milk isn't considered 'clean".
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana & a tablespoon of peanut butter a half hour or so before.
  • Jlopez201
    Options
    Mmmmm .... Or a Banana with a spoonful of peanut butter!
  • Jlopez201
    Options
    my fave!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    before I run- usually nothing (I know I know) or peanut butter- depends on what time I run also. After I run Syntrax Whey protein- double stuffed cookie in almond milk YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :bigsmile:
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in responses to this because I have horrible cramps after long runs. I ran 11 miles Friday and ate supper too soon - I was sick for 2 or 3 hours...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    im sure this has been posted if so sorry anyway what are some good foods to eat before a run and what helps with recovery after thanks for any advise

I never eat and then go running, ever, it is bad for the heart. I always give at least a couple of hours, in order to let it start to digest. Oranges are a big yes for me, they seem to give me lots of energy.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on time of day and your preferences. I am an early morning runner (5am) - and I am not a breakfast person so I have a cup of strong coffee and something light like a banana or some dried apricots. On my long run days - which are on the weekend, I usually have half an english muffin and coffee and take some jelly beans for the long haul -- as I am not a fan of the goos etc.

After my weekday shorter runs, I get ready for work then have an english muffin with an egg or a protein drink on my way out the door.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i never eat before, i give it at least a 2-3 hr window between eating and running, and chocolate milk afterwards is excellent! quenches thirst and aids recovery
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For a long morning run or before a race, I have a slice of whole wheat toast or english muffin with peanut butter and jelly. After a long run I have chocolate milk or a protein bar.

Before going to the gym or running after work, I have been eating a Chobani yogurt. A lot of people have issues with dairy and if you do, it's not good to have any before a run. You just have to find what works best for you.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My stomach is very fussy during runs so I have to be careful with pre-run food. Usually a banana + half a luna bar work for me. I also drink coconut water--it's a good way to get electrolytes w/o the stomach discomfort (YMMV). AFTER a run is happy time :D. Usually something with peanut butter!
  • ELIZACAY236
    ELIZACAY236 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    For short runs (<= 6 miles) I don't eat anything unless I'm late for my run and hungry. at that point, I'll drop in a few Gu Chomps.

Post run? Lotsa choices. Best one that I've found is Soy Chocolate or Nestle's Chocolate Milk. If you don't need as many calories, you might want to make your own replenisher. I use this for long runs (> 6 miles)

1 Crystallight packet
    1/4 tsp Morton Lite Salt
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    Heaping 1/2 cup sugar
    2 quarts water

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Damn-Sports-Drink/

Again, the replenisher is for long runs where I've lost sodium and potassium due to sweating.

Please do understand that we don't need to shovel food into our mouths just because we run. At 209, you're burning about 160 cals/mile (miles x wieght in pounds x .76 is a usable formula) so running can be an excellent means of weight loss.

My lunch yesterday was too big - just over 700 cals. I knocked out a 2 miler before dinner and got rid of about 300 cals.

Insofar as "needing the energy", for.get.it. We have lots of energy in the glycogen in our muscles and bloodstream to power us for quite a few miles.

If you decide to eat something before you run, unless it's glucose heavy product, you will finish the run before the food gets into your bloodstream. Glucose takes about 15 to 30 minutes to hit the bloodstream. Something like fruit or a bagel provide you with glucose but only after it's been digested which will take an hour or more (they're complex carbs so they take longer). Add a little peanut butter and that bagel takes even longer to digest.

Runner's world and Running Times have more info on this.
  • I1ahunt
    Options
    Are you talking about a daily or semi daily workout run or a race of some sort (5k, etc)?

How far are you running and what time of day?
  • Anaria12
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds really stupid but what is the importance of eating before and after running. I am not a serious runner but occasionally do and I was unaware of the importance of this!!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in responses to this because I have horrible cramps after long runs. I ran 11 miles Friday and ate supper too soon - I was sick for 2 or 3 hours...
    You need a different coach! ;-)

Are you replenishing your electrolytes?

When I was a kid, I would get serious cramps in my quads. Typically after basketball practice and when sitting at the dinner table. I'd feel the cramp starting up, would tell my folks what was happening and then they would massage the cramps from my legs.

I grew up in Bermuda - hot and humid. When I played basketball I would sweat a lot and lose electrolytes. My loving mother, looking out for my health, didn't cook with salt so, after exercising and sweating so much, I was getting muscle cramps simply because I'd lost so much salt. Ouch!

If you're puking after an 11 miler, mebbie you want to cut back on the intensity? I _have_ puked in training but that's a little hard core for me these days! :-)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds really stupid but what is the importance of eating before and after running. I am not a serious runner but occasionally do and I was unaware of the importance of this!!!

Eating before a run:
    To ensure that you have enough energy to maintain your run. Mind you, everyone is different. I can run on an empty stomach for about 8-9 miles before I feel a very LARGE drop in my energy levels. Some people bonk out at 5-6 miles, some at 3-4. Depends on you and your fitness level and how efficient your body is.

Eating after a run:
    To provide your body with enough recovery materials and to replenish the energy you just spent. It also teaches your body to move around energy more (as told to me by my running coaches). You basically want to get your body to be able to quickly use up energy you're eating before a run and move it into use, use up what you're eating during a run and then use the energy you're giving it after to recover.