no no no!

Options
it took me 8 weeks to lose 6lbs. it took me 2 weeks to put back on 6lbs :cry:
i seem to have a self distruct button, that when i get to a certain weight loss i start eating loads again and put it all back on.
did/does anyone else have this problem? and how did/do you overcome it?

Katie
xxx

Replies

• curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    it took me 8 weeks to lose 6lbs. it took me 2 weeks to put back on 6lbs :cry:
    i seem to have a self distruct button, that when i get to a certain weight loss i start eating loads again and put it all back on.
    did/does anyone else have this problem? and how did/do you overcome it?

Katie
    xxx
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    I've definitely had this problem before . . . I think I get a false sense of security when I start to slim down, and can more readily convince myself that 1 day of poor eating won't hurt . . . . then that 1 day turns in to 2, then a week, and before I know it the weight is right back on. It's extremely frustrating and can do real damage to your emotional/mental state, because it feels like you are losing a battle to food.

There are a few things I've done to combat this (I wouldn't say I've overcome it yet, but I'm close). First, I had to get real with myself and start taking accountability for my own actions. It's easy to make excuses for poor eating habits or lack of exercise when we let ourselves blame other people or things for our condition. So, I started keeping a journal of when and why I was eating. Writing down my reasons for eating -- seeing the words in print in front of me -- forced a higher degree of accountability than I had ever faced before.

That led me to my second point -- moving away from "dieting" and instead adopting healthy eating as a lifestyle. The yo-yo effect of losing and then gaining it right back comes from our belief that the healthy eating is only temporary, to drop the weight, and our bad habits are not gone, they are just on hold for a while. In reality, we have to change those habits permanently to avoid regaining the weight. This is when I joined MFP, started making a grocery list ahead of time based on my meal plan for the week, and, through my journaling of my eating habits, developing tactics to combat the negative ones. For example, I am a chronic night-time snacker -- when I am vegging in front of the TV I used to love to have a snack or 5 . . . ;) So, in order to avoid this urge, I make a list every few days of things I can do while watching TV to keep my hands busy -- knit, scrapbook, organize my jewlery box, give myself a facial, etc . . . and then when that urge hits, I take out my list and tackle one of the items.

Finally, I have built one cheat day into my week -- I chose Sunday, because that tends to be the day when I am relaxing or when I have family gatherings, etc. I don't go way over my calories that day, but I allow myself to eat less healthy foods and not count every last crumb I put in my mouth. This has helped me not feel like I am too restricted, and it gives me something to look forward to when I am having cravings . . . It's fun to plan out in advance what my guilty pleasure of the week will be --- yesterday I had a hot fudge sundae, and it was AWESOME!

I think the correct path and optimal solution is different for everyone, so this isn't meant to be a one-size-fits-all plan, just suggestions based on what my experience has been and what has worked for me. Best of luck on your journey!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had this problem before . . . I think I get a false sense of security when I start to slim down, and can more readily convince myself that 1 day of poor eating won't hurt . . . . then that 1 day turns in to 2, then a week, and before I know it the weight is right back on. It's extremely frustrating and can do real damage to your emotional/mental state, because it feels like you are losing a battle to food.

There are a few things I've done to combat this (I wouldn't say I've overcome it yet, but I'm close). First, I had to get real with myself and start taking accountability for my own actions. It's easy to make excuses for poor eating habits or lack of exercise when we let ourselves blame other people or things for our condition. So, I started keeping a journal of when and why I was eating. Writing down my reasons for eating -- seeing the words in print in front of me -- forced a higher degree of accountability than I had ever faced before.

That led me to my second point -- moving away from "dieting" and instead adopting healthy eating as a lifestyle. The yo-yo effect of losing and then gaining it right back comes from our belief that the healthy eating is only temporary, to drop the weight, and our bad habits are not gone, they are just on hold for a while. In reality, we have to change those habits permanently to avoid regaining the weight. This is when I joined MFP, started making a grocery list ahead of time based on my meal plan for the week, and, through my journaling of my eating habits, developing tactics to combat the negative ones. For example, I am a chronic night-time snacker -- when I am vegging in front of the TV I used to love to have a snack or 5 . . . ;) So, in order to avoid this urge, I make a list every few days of things I can do while watching TV to keep my hands busy -- knit, scrapbook, organize my jewlery box, give myself a facial, etc . . . and then when that urge hits, I take out my list and tackle one of the items.

Finally, I have built one cheat day into my week -- I chose Sunday, because that tends to be the day when I am relaxing or when I have family gatherings, etc. I don't go way over my calories that day, but I allow myself to eat less healthy foods and not count every last crumb I put in my mouth. This has helped me not feel like I am too restricted, and it gives me something to look forward to when I am having cravings . . . It's fun to plan out in advance what my guilty pleasure of the week will be --- yesterday I had a hot fudge sundae, and it was AWESOME!

I think the correct path and optimal solution is different for everyone, so this isn't meant to be a one-size-fits-all plan, just suggestions based on what my experience has been and what has worked for me. Best of luck on your journey!

Great advice! I think I will try some of your ideas. I have some of the same issues.
    Thanks
  • curvykatie
    Options
    wow, thats really good advice, thank you!
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i agree. amazing advice.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    that is wonderful advice! One other thing I dd is I make sure all the people I am really close to know that I am on a diet, that way they won't try and pull me into eating things I am not suppose to.. Sometimes if I am about to eat something I shouldn't my boyfriend gives my hand a little smack and says, "Your doing good don't go down hill!".

haha it can be annoying and a little embarrassing but I know he is doing it because he loves me!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't make a day of it, but I do have one "Cheat meal" every week,,, usually dinner out on Friday or Saturday night. I don't go berserk and make 6 trips at the Chinese buffet,,, but I do relax and have a nice steak or plate of pasta or something and even a desert maybe and I don't even worry about it.

I do log that meal - and the cute part is that most of the time I don't even go over for the day,,, at least not by much.

Anywho,,, great advice. Each of us is responsible for what we do. My wife has never wrestled me down and shoved a donut in my mouth (though she has kept me too busy with "other things" to do my cardio once or twice :blushing: ). Being disciplined is the secret, and the weekly time off might make that easier.
  • curvykatie
    Options
    everyone i know knows im on a diet, but if they see me eating something i shouldnt they dont stop me, they reason me to eat it, and as for my boyfriend lol all he feeds me is chinese and pizza takeaway, so they're not very helpful at all!