Success with PCOS

Options

Replies

• Butterflygirl208
    Options
    I have PCOS also and have been trying to lose weight for awhile now. I have had very little success. I have always had many questions about PCOS and so I pick up about every book I can on the subject. For those that are interested the best book I have found with the most information about PCOS, diagnosing, treating, and diet for PCOS. It is called "A Patient's Guide to PCOS Understanding and reversing polycystic ovary syndrome." It is written by Dr. Walter Futerweit.

This is the only book that makes sense of what labs should be drawn for diagnosis and what seems to be a smart simple way to look at the diet part of PCOS. It even covers the emotional part of what PCOS does to you as a women.

I haven't finished reading it yet. I keep going back to try and memorize things that stick out for me. I am also in the market for a new endocrinologist as my old one was a fertility doctor and we are not TTC anymore.

I am also looking for friends who understand the impact of what PCOS does. So I may be trying to add some if not all of you...

Good luck to all of us!
  • CaraNye
    Options
    I am envious! I'm 6 ft tall...eating between 1200 - 1400/day and exercise 5 - 6 times per week doing various activities; working with a trainer, swimming, Zumba, Power weight classes, straight cardio...and I think at BEST I have not lost anything. Maybe even gained! I don't weigh myself (too depressing) but go by the fit of my clothes. I am very good with the low carb...if I DO eat carbs they are very rarely processed, they're whole grain and I even try to avoid those! Quinoa instead of rice or potatoes...I'm doing everything I should. It's so frustrating! I've been working out and eating well for over 2 years and it's been 4 months of the 5/6 times per week with the trainer etc.

I'm waiting for an appointment with an endo that specializes in PCOS and am really hoping she can help. It's pretty difficult to stick to a strict regime when you don't see results. I've started going through the whole "what's the point?" lately and I have to snap out of that.
  • Hartmowen
    Options
    I also have PCOS and Insulin Resistance, thank you all for sharing your stories!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am envious! I'm 6 ft tall...eating between 1200 - 1400/day and exercise 5 - 6 times per week doing various activities; working with a trainer, swimming, Zumba, Power weight classes, straight cardio...and I think at BEST I have not lost anything. Maybe even gained! I don't weigh myself (too depressing) but go by the fit of my clothes. I am very good with the low carb...if I DO eat carbs they are very rarely processed, they're whole grain and I even try to avoid those! Quinoa instead of rice or potatoes...I'm doing everything I should. It's so frustrating! I've been working out and eating well for over 2 years and it's been 4 months of the 5/6 times per week with the trainer etc.

I'm waiting for an appointment with an endo that specializes in PCOS and am really hoping she can help. It's pretty difficult to stick to a strict regime when you don't see results. I've started going through the whole "what's the point?" lately and I have to snap out of that.

Have you been tested for thyroid issues (including anti-thyroid antibodies) and insulin resistance? Most women with PCOS have insulin resistance and MANY have the same issue you do. For women who do everything right and still can't lose, you need to try an insulin-sensitizing drug like Metformin. Despite what you read here, some women DO need it. Short of starving myself on 800 or fewer calories a day, I don't lose weight without Metformin.
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been posted because I havent had time to read through the whole thread yet but I take cinnamon supplements instead of metformin...the metformin made my stomach upset and cinnamon is natural...its been working for me...there have been studies on it...google it...
  • stacyk9
    stacyk9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people with PCOS are taking cinnamon. I'm going to have to try that one out. Anyway, I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago or so and my doctor suggested going on a low GI diet. It definitely helped me not gain anymore weight, but I didn't seriously try to lose any weight until the beginning of this year. I do know that as soon as I went on the low GI diet, I felt so much better!! It's really easy once you get started on it and learning how the protein to healthy carb ratio works. It has become second nature for me. The main thing, though, is to get rid of processed carbs. You want to go whole wheat or whole grain. Be sure to check packaging, though. Sometimes it may say 100% whole grain, but when you look at the nutrition label, if it says anything about "processed flour", it's not truely wheat.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Who has some double blind, peer reviewed studies on the effects of cinnamon? I haven't done much research, and the snippets I've seen are in regards to it's effect on blood sugar, rather than insulin. I need help with my insulin - my blood sugar is fine.
  • mscags1
    mscags1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take cinnamon capsules (holland & barrett). I read a study about it and it had very good results. I am not insulin resistant, ... I take it to prevent insulin and blood sugar problems.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Question: What is the percentage of people who are over weight with PCOS? I have two sisters that have it, one has never been over weight, the other was, but when diagnosed lost the majority of it and was at a normal bmi. Both cases are between moderate/severe. I also know 2 ballet students who have PCOS and have never had a problem with their weight.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My wife has it. She's lost about 45lbs now. It was very slow and frustrating at first. It just took sticking to the calorie counting and exercising a few times a week. But it was probably 2 months before she saw any weight come off and it was very slow even after that. SHe had to change her mindframe from "losing weight" to "being more healthy". The rest took care of itself.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Question: What is the percentage of people who are over weight with PCOS? I have two sisters that have it, one has never been over weight, the other was, but when diagnosed lost the majority of it and was at a normal bmi. Both cases are between moderate/severe. I also know 2 ballet students who have PCOS and have never had a problem with their weight.

I would say upwards of 80%. You can have cysts on your ovaries without having PCOS. There is a distinction.
  • cvpis4me
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. After many MANY fertility treatments (including some failed IVF's) we're finally on the road to adoption so my body is now "free" to diet and exercise to my heart's content! I'm negative for insulin resistance so I don't bother with Metformin anymore (though I took it when I was trying to get pregnant to increase my chance of success). I'm wondering if lowering my carb intake will help though? Or would that only have an effect for those with insulin resistance? My belief has been that I shouldn't cut out any food group so I would never cut carbs out completely, but maybe cutting back would help decrease the weight around my stomach. Any thoughts?
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I would say upwards of 80%. You can have cysts on your ovaries without having PCOS. There is a distinction.

Thanks. I know there is a distintion, I didn't say anything about cysts, just that they were all diagnosed with PCOS.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's always humorous to me when people who don't have family members or themselves go through PCOS think that our bodies work the same way as theirs and that it should be "easy." If it were easy, when I was 16, eating little, and running 3 plus miles every single day, I should have been a healthy weight range. I have yet to see a healthy weight range since puberty. It's like telling an autistic person that it's easy to think like everyone else, just do xyz every day and you'll snap right out of it. Doesn't work that way. PCOS is for life. It never goes away, and it always affects how your body uses and stores nutrients and how it responds to exercise.

Oh, I so LOVE this! At age 55, I am a PCOS grandma, having started on this path at age 15 brought on by a combination of genetic predisposition and a case of hard measles. I've had the 'joys' of hair growth, weight gain, primary and secondary infertility, more hair growth, stubborn refusal of my body to lose weight, ammenoria, dysmenorria, anmenoria, etc. I am grateful everyday that I did have two wonderful sons who are now grown, and in April will have my second granddaughter.

I take metformin for the Insulin Resistance, but not for weight loss. My brain gets 'foggy' if I am on too many carbs or sugars without it, and it helps with other symptoms as well. It does take at least twice as much work for us to lose each pound with this disorder, but it is possible. I work out several hours per week, watch my diet carefully, work with my trainer to target that 'PCOS tummy pouch' and have lost 36 pounds since mid October.

Can you do it? YES. Is it easy or fast? NEVER. But getting your weight down into 'normal' range can really help with symptoms.

Feel free to add me if you need a PCOS grandma
  • BrilliantResilient1
    BrilliantResilient1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump...I have PCOS too, and this is an awesome thread so far.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Met really only causes weight loss without diet/exercise because of the nasty side effects. Things tend to go right through you until your body adjusts to it. However, it makes it easier to lose weight once your insulin sensitivity is increased closer to normal levels. I've been on met for 12+ years but only last year made the effort to truly try to lose weight. I think I did lose about 20 lbs. initially on Met but did gain it back later. It also took me 10+ years before I faithfully took my full dosage each day due to the side effects. Worst 3 weeks of my life when I finally started taking it.

This is my fear! The NP I just started seeing was really wanting to put me on metformin the other day. I know I can make the changes I'm just not sure I'll be exactly where she wants me to at our re-check in May. She said she'd give me 3 months to get fasting blood glucose back down(my A1C showed averaging 123). Plus my triglycerides went up to 183, up about 30 points. Which may be from my beta blocker apparently. She is freaking out but my total cholesterol is 150 and she insists I need to watch what cholesterol I eat. LOL Most of my triglyceride problem came from the prior more frequent daily soda habit I had and then baked goods/sweets and processed food which I have worked on cutting out quite a bit. Possible that I could work on reducing carbs more. I'm seriously wanting to do a good 2 weeks+ of gluten free. I'm wanting to try out something with my daughter and eliminate dairy and gluten for both of us. Both of us are lactose intolerant anyway.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies. I'm just posting to say I have PCOS-related insulin resistance and started taking 3g/day cinnamon supplements back in November 2011. Although I was unable to lose any weight before that (diet and exercise actually led to weight gain), I started losing weight FROM THE DAY I started taking cinnamon. Since Nov. I've been averaging about 2.5lbs lost/week, with just a brief plateau when I tried a workout DVD that turned out not to be strenuous enough for me to continue losing weight. (When I went back to my old workout, the weight loss picked right back up.)

In short, the cinnmon gives me a more normal fasting glucose level so I CAN lose weight through diet & exercise.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering how much cinnamon to do. I'm going to try it out and then encourage my mom to try it out. I think my dad is using cinnamon and something else along with diet and controlling his blood sugars.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!