My shirts are too short

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
I just asked a question about pant size someone have a response that got me thinking; I wear a size medium in shirts right now but none of them are long enough. I'm taller at 5'9" and a large was definitely long enough... Now that the large is too big width-wise, I can't really wear them so I'm in M. I have a really hard time finding any long enough- most go to just below my belly button and look weird. If I keep losing weight and get into a S, will they be even shorter?

And, what do I do? Can a seamstress make them 2 - 3 inches longer, or am I stuck getting those long shirt-dresses that go to my thigh?

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    where do you shop? I'm 5'9 also, but I rarely have the problem with short shirt. Unfortunately the trend is coming back
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'd shop around. A lot of places make styles now that are much longer. Once you find a brand that fits right, get one in every color, hehe ;-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Buy larger so they're long enough, and have them tailored smaller. A little nip and tuck and dart here and there would make all the difference.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about tee-shirts or normal shirts? I think you'll just have to look for longer normal shirts - like short tank top style shirts might not look the best on you if it's gonna expose your stomach. There are a lot of empire waist style shirts that go longer.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You can always get a long tank top and layer. That look is always cute. ;)
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It seems counter-intuitive, but you may want to try the Juniors section. The shirts there seem to be longer, especially compared to their width, than in the Misses section.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I shop at JCPenny.com and OldNavy.com...they have a tall section. :bigsmile:
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My seamstress is taking in the width of a few of my shirts. It took me a while to find her, but a good seamstress or tailor is irreplaceable.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and wear a small shirt (I have no boobs). Most my T-shirts come from Old Navy. They have "tall" shirts which are great but I've found even their regular stuff is longer than other places.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I layer. I wear a longer cami or tank underneath .
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shopping in the tall section? You might find something suitable there
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    definitely a tank top underneath to layer .
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and wear a small shirt (I have no boobs). Most my T-shirts come from Old Navy. They have "tall" shirts which are great but I've found even their regular stuff is longer than other places.

The Gap has this option as well..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

AND Banana Republic. I was in the market for a nice business suit a while back and they were the only place that had a jacket with long enough sleeves.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    I just asked a question about pant size someone have a response that got me thinking; I wear a size medium in shirts right now but none of them are long enough. I'm taller at 5'9" and a large was definitely long enough... Now that the large is too big width-wise, I can't really wear them so I'm in M. I have a really hard time finding any long enough- most go to just below my belly button and look weird. If I keep losing weight and get into a S, will they be even shorter?

And, what do I do? Can a seamstress make them 2 - 3 inches longer, or am I stuck getting those long shirt-dresses that go to my thigh?

I'm not sure what style of shirts you are referencing, but I have the same problem in some brands/styles. I am 5'9" and I have a long torso. It has always been my experience that Women's shirts tend to be wider and shorter than Men's. I've always found it to be rather bizarre. Try shopping different brands. I have a couple go-to retailers and brands that are cut better for my body type and shape. It took quite a bit of shopping around, but I eventually found them. If they are tailored shirts, your other option is to buy large and take them to a good tailor to have them fitted to you precisely. It will cost a bit more, but consider it an investment in quality pieces that will fit you like a glove (and be motivation to stay active even when you reach your goal!). I have this problem in dresses that are not A-line, too. The tailored in hip area is often located improperly for my body. Again, a good seamstress can fix that right up!
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options

AND Banana Republic. I was in the market for a nice business suit a while back and they were the only place that had a jacket with long enough sleeves.

I was just going to suggest BR. I'm the same height and have the same torso length issue and their clothing always fits me off the rack.
  • sarablueskies
    sarablueskies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    as i gain weight my shirts seem to short, but then i lose weight and my bust gets smaller and the shirts drop back into place. the more you lose, the more your upper body let's your shirts fall!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I too have this issue but am only 5'7" with a long torso and long arms. (I have no legs) I find myself shopping at ON tall section more and more. I am thrilled to hear JC Penny has one too and will be checking it out when we move back home. I layer tanks underneath a lot. Like you the smaller I get the harder it seems to be to stay with a size that fits and goes down long enough. I don't like my shirts ending an inch past my belly button with a couple inches before my jeans start. I wish more places would realize that not all women are the same size/shape and add tall sections. (but thanks for posting this, that was my original plan to reply with sorry)
  • CRITTERcritter72
    Options
    I know this is an old thread topic but I'm dealing with this now and I'm sure many others have been too. Kohl's has long tee shirts and they're reasonably priced, with a big color selection BUT they're in men's.