BMR Confusion -- need help!

Options
Hi all,

I have been reading through some of the recommended threads this morning, and I found some great information (thanks!) but am more confused than ever about the conflicting information I am getting about the number of calories I should be eating. Here's my info:

Age- 32
Height - 5'7"
Current Weight - 157 lbs

When I use the BMR calculator, it gives me a figure of 1455. According to the information on the threads (if I am reading it correctly) this is the number of calories I would need to survive if I did nothing but sit in bed all day. I used to think this was my maintain number and that to lose I would subtract from that, but the threads say otherwise. The conflict is that MFP has me on a 1200 calorie/day plan. I am fine with eating my exercise calories, but I am still netting 1200 calories per day. If I need 1455 just to run the engine without any activity, am I putting myself in starvation mode?

Maybe there is such a thing as too much information! I've gotten myself all worked up this morning! ;) Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide me with.

Replies

• soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been reading through some of the recommended threads this morning, and I found some great information (thanks!) but am more confused than ever about the conflicting information I am getting about the number of calories I should be eating. Here's my info:

Age- 32
    Height - 5'7"
    Current Weight - 157 lbs

When I use the BMR calculator, it gives me a figure of 1455. According to the information on the threads (if I am reading it correctly) this is the number of calories I would need to survive if I did nothing but sit in bed all day. I used to think this was my maintain number and that to lose I would subtract from that, but the threads say otherwise. The conflict is that MFP has me on a 1200 calorie/day plan. I am fine with eating my exercise calories, but I am still netting 1200 calories per day. If I need 1455 just to run the engine without any activity, am I putting myself in starvation mode?

Maybe there is such a thing as too much information! I've gotten myself all worked up this morning! ;) Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide me with.
  • sarahiris
    sarahiris Posts: 82
    Options
    h i have the exact same ststs as you, i just stick to 1200 cal per day and im losing, apart from last week as i had to good of an easter break, but im back on track, what weight do you aim for?
  • soxygirl
    Options
    I am aiming to lose 10 pounds for now, but really am just trying to be more healthy and inline with proper habits. I've lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks, which is on target . . . . I am just confused by the conflict information in the threads on here. :ohwell:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe reavaluate your goals. Sounds like your goals on MFP are set to lose 2 pounds a week. Just from your stats and wanting to only lose 10 pounds, 1200 sounds to be like too few calories.

Try setting your weekly lose to 1 pound or a week or even 1/2 pound per week.

:smile:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,774 Member
    Options
    Where your deficit comes from is not your BMR, but your AMR (your Active Metabolic Rate). MFP will calculate a version of your AMR for you based on what you put in as your activity level when it calculates how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. So if you were to go back and re-set your goals to maintenance and see how many calories MFP suggests you eat to maintain your weight, you would have a rough estimate of your AMR. (Note: there are alot of different calculations for AMR, and this is just a quick, easy way of finding one calculation).

It is from there that the deficit gets subtracted. So, for instance, if your maintenance calories are 1700 (I'm just guessing a number here and not saying this is your number), then a 500 calorie a day deficit is going to put you at 1200 calories.

Regarding the conflicting information, it is important not to eat below your BMR when you get to your last 10-15 pounds. And it is important to note that as you lose weight, your BMR will go down, so you need to monitor your BMR with your weight loss. But it is really within that last stage of weight loss that you need to bring your calories back up to avoid depriving your body of what it needs to survive.

You would know best what your ideal weight is and whether you are within 10 pounds of that right now (based on your body shape and such). But since you don't have that much to lose, I would suggest you think about adding 100 calories a day to your diet each week (in other words, eat 1200 this week (and perhaps next depending on how you feel), 1300 next week, 1400 the week after) until you get closer to that BMR range, especially if you are still losing weight. Hopefully by that final week, you will be right at your BMR in calories.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    read up a bit on starvation mode ..it really doesnt set in so easily or with that amount of calories...
  • soxygirl
    Options
    Thanks, all!
  • soxygirl
    Options
    <Duplicate>:explode:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you have 7 lbs to lose, and your BMR is 1455, there's NO WAY you should be at 1200 calories. Remember, MFP's goal function is a "dumb tool" in that it doesn't tell you what a GOOD goal is for you, all it tells you is what you need to do to achieve the goal you choose.

IMHO, eating below your BMR when you are already in the healthy range is unadvisable and can lead to a depressed metabolism, affect your immune system, organs, and bone density. None of these things show up as immediate issues, but all will cause health issues down the road if allowed to linger.