I am new to this, HELP!!!!

I joined a gym about a month ago and I have been going faithfully about 3-5 days a week, doing 20-30 minutes of cardio and a few minutes of strength training. I have started to eat healthier last week, by eating vegetable soup, salads, steam vegetables, fish, tuna, wheat bread ( once a week) and cutting back all sodas. I am getting married in July and would like to lose some weight and get toned, as of now I am 230. I am looking for some tips and motivation because I feel like I am at standstill and have not lost any weight yet. I have been making better choices when it comes to my food since the first of the year but I have not lost much weight at all. I do cardio until I am tired and I sometimes go back to the gym later in the day when I feel that motivation to ( I love that). I am looking for some ideas to do as far as exercising at home like Zumba DVD's....do they work for any of you? I appreciate any tips or motivation to have me looking good on my wedding day in July

Replies

• jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    I'm kind of new to this whole thing too. One of the things I did was to meticulously make sure I was maintaining a calorie deficit in my food diary. Make sure that you check that too. Good for you for being so committed so far!
  • salene17
    salene17 Posts: 16 Member
    Are you logging your food in the diary tool? It is MAJOR to know exactly how many calories you are consuming. Eating better is a start, but you can still be eating higher calorie options and not even realize it. Salad dressing is a big one! Weighing and measuring everything is important too!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    I am new to this as well (Feb) and was shocked when I added two new columns to my list~sugar and sodium~ and was SHOCKED that I was eating a lot of things with too much sodium!! (only a bit over on sugar). I am 250 (and a half pounds) and certainly don't need to retain any water on top of things...LOL. Check in your settings and see if you are consuming a lot of "extra" stuff even though you are eating "healthy". Congrats and Best of Luck......you will look AWESOME on your wedding day!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    A few minutes of strength training is not enough. Try and move everyday by at least doing 30 minutes of power walking. Do strength training about 3 times per week for 30 minutes each time. You could add in some intervals about twice per week. It can be as simple as when you go for your walk do the intervals - eg sprint for 30 sec and then walk for 1min or 2, then repeat sprint 30 sec then walk 1min or 2, repeat about 7 times or so.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I don't know if this works for everyone but I make sure I do cardio until I have been really sweaty for awhile. I would say at least 20 minutes post-sweat.
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    My go to for quick results is elliptical. It kicks my butt but I get the most benefit from it. Another way to track is inches. I haven't lost much weight yet but inches are coming off faster than I can buy clothes.