Cheap foods? :U

Options
13»

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I swear I don't mean to sound rude, but...

you've been a MFP member since December 2010 and you still eat that garbage? Raman? Really?

I was a "starving college student" once. All I can say is, thank goodness my momma taught me to shop. And cook.

Lots of great advice here. Hope you take it. Good luck with your journey.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Slow food is often cheap, but it takes time. Beans, lentils, cheap cuts of meat, whole chickens, eggs. Frozen or in-season fruit or vegetables is also a good deal.

THIS. Bulk foods go a LONG way and they're very cheap. I subsist mostly on rice, beans, dried and fresh fruit, and fresh veggies. It's just a matter of finding which ones are on sale and only buying as much as you can use before it goes bad. That practice will save you a LOT of money.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    That was such a sweet response to my post--thank you! I'd love to hear how the falafel chick peas go--I love falafel (but apparently can't spell it!) :)
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i feel you! for me, i look at circulars to see what's on sale, and buy accordingly.

for example:
    onions - $0.80/ 2 lb bag
    frozen veggies - $1/ 16 oz
    chicken legs or thighs - $0.99/lb
    fresh brocolli - $0.99/bunch

you'd be surprised how far you can stretch your buys. it took me a week and a half to finish 2lb of spinach, and that's with me eating them practically every day! when i get the value pack chicken, it takes me about a week or so to go through it. it's hard, but i believe it's possible to get by on about $15/week, you just have to be aware of the prices :). also, when you buy things like shredded cheese or flour, those are things that you can use over an extended period, and it's not going to break the bank.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Since I did some produce shopping today I thought I'd share. I do a monthly big shop but fresh produce needs to be replenish so I visit the produce market in between.

For $10 I got; 5 kiwi, 2 16oz containers of strawberries (one to eat, one to freeze for smoothies), 2 avocados, 5 medium pink grapefruit, a pint of baby bella mushrooms, and a 3 pack of romaine lettuce hearts. Who says you can't eat healthy on a budget?