how often should we weigh in?

Options
just curious. :happy: Also, if you take pics of results, how often should we do that?

Replies

• hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    just curious. :happy: Also, if you take pics of results, how often should we do that?
  • heygirl1954
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh in anymore than once a week on the same day and time.. Morning is best for me. Your weigh changes daily and will drive you crazy if you do it anymore than that, or it does me anyway..
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself more than once a week. And if you do take picture only do it once a month:drinker:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I myself only weigh in once a week, at the same time. Tomorrow's my day, cross your fingers for me!) :laugh:
    You'll have others though that weigh in every day, they say it keeps them accountable. I say it'd be way too frustrating to show a gain when I knew I was "being sooo good"!
    As far as taking pics of your progress goes, I guess it's just up to the individual. I just take them every few months. I LOVE looking at my biggest pics, and seeing how far I've come, with the help of the daily food log and all the wonderfully supportive members on it! :love:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I myself only weigh in once a week, at the same time. Tomorrow's my day, cross your fingers for me!) :laugh:
    You'll have others though that weigh in every day, they say it keeps them accountable. I say it'd be way too frustrating to show a gain when I knew I was "being sooo good"!
    As far as taking pics of your progress goes, I guess it's just up to the individual. I just take them every few months. I LOVE looking at my biggest pics, and seeing how far I've come, with the help of the daily food log and all the wonderfully supportive members on it! :love:

Ooops!!! I SHOULD have said "all the wonderfully supportive members here at MFP"!!!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I know I'm addicted to the scale I got on on Thursday and was down to 258.2, today? 260,:grumble: how frustrating! Should have never got on on Thursday, ONCE A WEEK TOPS!!!:laugh:
  • ToniAnn45
    ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that if you start working out along with losing weight, you should wait at least six weeks to weigh again after the first time. That gives your body time to adjust to the weight training & cardio, because at first, your muscles will retain water. And remember, muscle weighs more than fiat. I know, it's very hard to stay off those scales. In fact, she told me to throw the scales away & to weigh in only when she tells me to.
  • lmclarty
    lmclarty Posts: 11
    Options
    My physician recommended that when trying to lose weight I weigh in every Wednesday morning. He said the important thing is that you are consistent with the day and time of day. Your body weight fluctuates throughout the week, as much as 7 lbs. So it is important that you are consistent so that you don't become discouraged or confused. Wednesday's were chosen because I tend to slack a little during the weekends but really do well during the week. Middle of the week gave me the opportunity to have the rmost accurate weight.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Weighing in once a week works great for me. As someone else stated, I weigh in on the same day and at the same time every week - usually first thing in the morning. Also, I don't go anywhere near a scale during that TOM. For me personally, my weight fluctuates during that TOM. Since it drives me crazy to see that I've gained 5 pounds one day and lost it the next, I just don't weigh myself during that TOM.

As far as pictures, I think it depends on how much you have to lose. For me personally, my pictures don't look a whole lot different until I've lost at least 10 pounds. So, I just take a before and an after. That works out to taking a new picture about every 3 months.

Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • hahahollylol
    Options
    My physician recommended that when trying to lose weight I weigh in every Wednesday morning. He said the important thing is that you are consistent with the day and time of day. Your body weight fluctuates throughout the week, as much as 7 lbs. So it is important that you are consistent so that you don't become discouraged or confused. Wednesday's were chosen because I tend to slack a little during the weekends but really do well during the week. Middle of the week gave me the opportunity to have the rmost accurate weight.

thank you :smile: I will try to do that. :drinker:
  • hahahollylol
    Options
    Weighing in once a week works great for me. As someone else stated, I weigh in on the same day and at the same time every week - usually first thing in the morning. Also, I don't go anywhere near a scale during that TOM. For me personally, my weight fluctuates during that TOM. Since it drives me crazy to see that I've gained 5 pounds one day and lost it the next, I just don't weigh myself during that TOM.

As far as pictures, I think it depends on how much you have to lose. For me personally, my pictures don't look a whole lot different until I've lost at least 10 pounds. So, I just take a before and an after. That works out to taking a new picture about every 3 months.

so then would it be better to weigh in after that TOM? I mean right after it's over. or at least the first Wensday afterwards. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that if you start working out along with losing weight, you should wait at least six weeks to weigh again after the first time. That gives your body time to adjust to the weight training & cardio, because at first, your muscles will retain water. And remember, muscle weighs more than fiat. I know, it's very hard to stay off those scales. In fact, she told me to throw the scales away & to weigh in only when she tells me to.

AMEN to this! Tell your trainer, from a trainer "in-training", kudos on the good advice!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

so then would it be better to weigh in after that TOM? I mean right after it's over. or at least the first Wensday afterwards. :smile:

If you decide to weigh in every Wednesday, I would weigh in the first Weds afterwards.:smile:

I suffer from pms. So, I also do not weigh myself during that time period either. If you can stand it, don't be a slave to your scale. Most months I end up weighing in 2 times - 3 times max... If you can do it, weigh yourself less and pay more attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit.:drinker: