Is it important to eat after a workout?

Options
And what should i eat? How long after? Does it depend on the workout? I'm trying to get stronger and preserve as much muscle as possible while i lose weight. Normal workout contains about 12 min. of strength training(bodyrock workout) and 30 or so min. of a walk jog video. Sometimes just the video. I still have 60lbs to lose.

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    anybody?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep. You need to replace some carbs and electrolytes and you need protein to combat lean tissue loss. There was a recent study that suggested a chocolate milkshake is a good post-workout meal. Personally I think there are more natural ways to replenish carbs and protein than that though... most chocolate milkshakes come loaded with refined sugar after all.

I'm not sure there's any solid agreement on how soon after you need to eat. Could be wrong on that though. I like to chow down within an hour of getting out of the gym. When I think about the natural order of things, that seems sensible to me. Most animals that scavenge or hunt (work out) return to a safe spot fairly quickly to eat the winnings.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have to! I don't eat 3-4 hours before I workout because I either get heartburn or serious cramps when I run. If I do eat it is something light. I have a routine when I work out. I workout after lunch but before dinner. When I come home I eat dinner, however, lately I have had to change this around. So after I workout I am thirsty and hungry. My three favorite things to have are (not all at once), G2 gatorade (low in sugar), power bar/protein bar, or a apple. I find a apple is the most satisfying, not just because it is healthy but I think it is because it is so juicy and I am so thirsty that I just dive in, haha. If I don't eat I just feel like I could indulge so much so I make sure to eat afterwards but always to make sure that it will make me feel good too.
  • Germander
    Germander Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I do 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical trainer every other day (first thing in the morning) and always have a pint of water and a medium sized banana straight afterwards. This prevents me from becoming light-headed before lunch.
    Sometimes, I have a plain, salted ricecake too to replace the salt.
    A 200ml glass of 1% fat milk is a recent introduction to my post-workout food. This is for protein.
    Not sure if I'm doing the right thing, but it keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Its the most important thing you do. Eat a combo of good carbs and protein.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Its the most important thing you do. Eat a combo of good carbs and protein.

Agreed! If I have a good hard workout, I usually opt for chocolate milk. Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy. :)
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    your body just needs calories....its always gonna use them when it can, so i say just eat healthy and your fine
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes maam... I find it important to replenish the body after a workout.. especially if you are building and preserving lean muscle. I do a light chocoloate soy milk mix with a protein powder after an intense muscle building workout.. sometimes just chocolate soy milk. Good carbs and lean proteins. I have increased my protein intake as it is for muscle building purposes.. Dont forget lots and lots of water too...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    your body just needs calories....its always gonna use them when it can, so i say just eat healthy and your fine

:huh:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat after i work out. While i am walking to the parking lot of the gym. Protein shake or bar, banana, greek yogurt, etc. I am starving!