Exercise Influenced Emotions

Options
SithZombie
SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
Last week, I fell of the wagon hard-core. I didn't exercise, I didn't count my calories. I binged a LOT and didn't drink nearly enough fluids. My mood spiraled out of control! We're talking full blown tantrums, fits of rage and some killer depression. And it took me a few days to figure out WHY. If I don't exercise, apparently my mental state goes nuts! Does anyone know what causes this, or does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• sarabirdcanfly
    sarabirdcanfly Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much of a negative attitude if I don't exercise. I'm pretty neutral. But, if I do exercise, my mood is extremely positive and I'm really happy and energetic.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I'm the opposite. Since I gave up over-eating and comfort eating, I've been a raging miserable cow. It's evening out now, I think. I hope!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives you a nice blast of endorphins. It helps relieve depression, through increased serotonin levels during and immediately following exercise. These I know for sure. Also, the energy expended in exercise could potentially sap these "fits" out of you? Just a thought. I don't have problems quite that significant when I don't exercise, but I know I feel so much better when I do!
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i find the more i sit, the more i feel low and miserable.. and that makes me crabby and a PITA to live with. but my body kicks me back into gear saying "if you dont get moving, you are going to just sit here miserable and alone for the rest of your existance".. that usually gets me moving!!
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started exercising specifically to manage my depression and mood swings...it definitely has an effect.