Why am i not Losing Weight!?

Options
I have been going to the gym for a week now, doing carido, free weight (sometimes), alot of zumba, and also water cardio! Ive gained weight and idk why, ive been eating right! Its been a long time sense ive exercised like this. I just dont get it, can anyone help me understand why?

Replies

• sparkly96
    Options
    There could be a few reasons why you aren't losing the weight. Give it another week and see if anything changes. You could be retaining water especially around the time of the month. Make sure your foods arent too high in fat and sodium. Try cutting down some calories if you can. Also dont eat anything after 8 or earlier. If you continue to gain weight maybe a trip to your doc may be a good idea to rule out any issues. Try adding lots of high fiber foods to keep you full and flax seed is great as well. Good luck!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time since you exercised like this? And you've been doing it all week? Could be water retention due to muscle soreness.

Don't give up!! If that's it the weight should go down in a few days.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Sparkly is dead on. I would also add, if its only been a week you should have patience. Keep up with all the positive changes and progress will be sure to follow
  • lauren39421
    Options
    Thanks guys, i know that sounds like alot. Im just really enjoying working out! Its very relaxing for me.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating daily?
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any weightloss for about 4 weeks. I felt better and could tell difference in my clothes but the scale wouldn't budge. After my fourth week I started losing pretty good. Now Im at a stand still again. But hey it took a little while in the beginning so Im gonna keep at it and hopefully the same thing will happen. The first week your body is building endurance and strength so you probably wont see any results right away. Just keep doing what you are doing and if it still isn't working then try something new but dont give up...You will get it right and results will come.
  • lauren39421
    Options
    I dont really keep track of that. I eat 3 small meals with low carbs. And fruit for a snack if i get hungery.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Give it a solid month, if you haven't dropped 5 lbs or so, and you really are eating correctly, you might go get a check up at the doctor to get their advice.

I work my butt off and if I can manage to shed 1 lb in a week or two i'm pretty excited.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I dont really keep track of that. I eat 3 small meals with low carbs. And fruit for a snack if i get hungery.

You should keep track as its very useful to know. It is very user-friendly to enter the information - doesn't take much time at all.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Give it a solid month, if you haven't dropped 5 lbs or so, and you really are eating correctly, you might go get a check up at the doctor to get their advice.

I work my butt off and if I can manage to shed 1 lb in a week or two i'm pretty excited.

You're good to yourself - if I don't see at least 1kg weight loss which is 2.2 pounds I feel disappointed. But I should realise any loss is good.
  • Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for a week now, doing carido, free weight (sometimes), alot of zumba, and also water cardio! Ive gained weight and idk why, ive been eating right! Its been a long time sense ive exercised like this. I just dont get it, can anyone help me understand why?

It has been almost 4 weeks for me...and I have not lost a POUND! But I am tons stronger. When I first started working out...it was rough burning 300 calories and now I can burn 600 easily. Everyone is telling me my body is in shock right now from my new habits like "whoa, what's going on?! What do I do?"

I feel ya, I am in the same boat...but I feel wonderful. Also, I should have taken my measurements like the trainer at the gym said. He also told me to get rid of my scale because it just upsets me when the numbers don't change.

One of my MFP friends only lost 5 pounds, but lost 10 inches. I had no muscle at all, so everything could be converting as well.
  • Yankees_27
    Options

To truly give a fair answer to your question, there are a few variables that we need to see to determine an idea of where the problem lies.

1) Daily food journal with what your eating and calorie count.
    2) How long ago did you start.
    3) What type of workouts you are actually doing along with time frame (again, something that should be tracked in your journal)

Without any of this info, it is impossible for anyone to give an opinion of why you are not losing weight. Whatever you do, do not give up.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Which means you are under eating.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get frustrated after just one week. It is probably just water weight. I'd personally give it at least another week to see if you need to change anything. It has not been uncommon for me to see weight differences in the same week of up to 10 pounds. (I didn't gain or lose 10 pounds in one week)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    " I have been going to the gym for a week now " <
    Speaks for itself, you didn't gain the extra weight in a week ... you won't lose it in a week either. Your diet speaks volumes ... 90% Nutrition + 9% Exercise = 1% left for the knowledge needed to understand how important it is to do your research.

I don't mean to be harsh ... but your going to need to setup a plan that will work long term for you. Burning high numbers without proper nutrition will not benefit you or your health in any shape or form. Go to the forums ... look under nutrition, health and fitness topics .. do some research on google. There are a lot of people on here that can help you get on the right track ... don't let lack of knowledge discourage you from seeing results.

I wish you the very best on your journey ... :flowerforyou:
  • sparkly96
    Options
    Another thing i wanted to add that i learned was about water intake. I learned that sometimes drinking too much water can make your body "water logged" and you start to retain it.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    " I have been going to the gym for a week now " <
    Speaks for itself, you didn't gain the extra weight in a week ... you won't lose it in a week either. Your diet speaks volumes ... 90% Nutrition + 9% Exercise = 1% left for the knowledge needed to understand how important it is to do your research.

I don't mean to be harsh ... but your going to need to setup a plan that will work long term for you. Burning high numbers without proper nutrition will not benefit you or your health in any shape or form. Go to the forums ... look under nutrition, health and fitness topics .. do some research on google. There are a lot of people on here that can help you get on the right track ... don't let lack of knowledge discourage you from seeing results.

I wish you the very best on your journey ... :flowerforyou:

AMEN to this.

1) A week is NOTHING.
    2) You REALLY need to track your food. I have a feeling you'd be REALLY surprised about what your actual calorie intake is. And it's not JUST about calories.....it's important to do things like reduce "bad" fats, have the right ratio of carbs and proteins for proper recovery from your work outs, etc.
    3) AND even though a work out feels hard, I think you'd be surprised at how little certain work outs can burn.