part time jobs that don't suck?

Options
jabrende
jabrende Posts: 25 Member
Anybody know anything I could apply for that wouldn't suck? As in, not fast food or retail?

Replies

• sdlr4592
    Options
    I know you said no fast food, but my first job was car hoping for Sonic, and honestly, it wasn't bad at all. I got minimum wage and all of my own tips. (I'm talking about $80 in tips in 3 days!) And the customers weren't all that rude. At least, not the ones I served.

Other than that, you might try a bank. I've never worked for one personally, but the pay is usually pretty great. ($10ish an hour.)
    I don't recommend Walmart. They are seriously the devil. As in, you have no idea. Unless you've worked there.
    I hear mall jobs (and yes, I know it's retail) aren't bad, but I've never worked one personally.

I guess the type of job your looking for depends on what you enjoy. I, personally, prefer secretarial jobs.

Oh! I hear that places like Wrangler and the Walls warehouses are great for people who don't like to deal with customers because it's basically either loading boxes or keeping inventory. The pay is usually nice there too.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    Stay away from Walmart...my brother put himself through college working there and just told horror stories...

What about bartending? I did it at a pub part time for a year and loved it!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Walmart...my brother put himself through college working there and just told horror stories...

What about bartending? I did it at a pub part time for a year and loved it!

If I went back in time, I would have been a bartender in college
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    One word: HOUSE-SITTING!!! That way not only do you have a nice place to stay, but you also get paid for it!:love:
  • jabrende
    jabrende Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about being a bartender... I'm not very outgoing, so I don't think i'd be very good at it... lol
  • mfpdannimac
    Options
    Movie theatres
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I work at a call center for a hotel company and I love it! You get lots of perks, including free hotel stays. I work full time in Human Resources, but before that I worked on the phones. I don't know where you're located, but you'd be surprised by the number of call centers located in the U.S. (some people equate call centers with India...lol). Plus, you work inside and do not have to deal with customers face-to-face. You mentioned you are not that outgoing, but usually talking on the phone is a lot different than talking to someone in person.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know you said not retail... but I think it depends on what retail store you work in. I couldn't work in a department store because I' go crazy haha, I am lucky that I work in a store that is relevant to something I am really into - video games. I love getting paid to talk about games all day :D So maybe look into speciality stores that you would be happy to work in?

Other than that... telemarketing, movie theatres, reception, cleaning (my friend is a cleaner, she works 3 nights a week for two hours and earns more than me and she doesn't have to deal with people plus it doesn't cut into her study time!), internet researcher... I know a lot of companies these days pay people to sit at home on their computers to do testing for them the only issue is that the hours suck aka from 8pm-4am :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,717 Member
    Options
    Work at a gym that way your membership is free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    What are you interested in doing? Maybe start there.
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    child care, after school hours care... cleaning, very physical work that gives you a free workout ... trouble is any job sucks if you don't have the right attitude...
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could go to Manpower or any temp service agency and look for work. Just tell them what your interested in, and hopefully they will find a good suit for you. I did that during college, and loved it. Every week I was working somewhere different and got all types of experiance from different working levels.

Either way, good luck to you.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about being a bartender... I'm not very outgoing, so I don't think i'd be very good at it... lol

You look like military to me. First of all...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

Second...security...low interaction, high skill, medium pay
    bouncer...weekend eves and they totally respect military

Good luck!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Maybe data entry? What MOS are you(I assume you're military from your profile pic)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I manage income base apartments part time. Sometimes it can get busy but for the most part I only work 8 hrs a week. However when we have inspections those weeks are really busy!
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Gigolo? Just saying.....
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Apple Store? I think I want to work there LOL
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    IRS SEASONAL JOB.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'm not terribly outgoing and I work behind a bar, just gotta pick the right one, mine is full of old men drinking real ales. I like it a lot! Worked in a nightclub, which was horrific.
    I used to work in a Spar (corner shop type thing) and really liked that too, stoners coming in for munchies was great.
    Pet sitting/dog walking??