Don't want the loose skin

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I searched, so please help. I have lost 15 lbs and need to loose about 65 more, but I don't want the loose skin thing. I know crunches are supposed to be good for tightening, but how many do I need to working up to? Also are there other good upper and lower abdominal exercises that I can do to change it up? Thanks so much in advance!:drinker: :smile:

Replies

• shuttletat
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I searched, so please help. I have lost 15 lbs and need to loose about 65 more, but I don't want the loose skin thing. I know crunches are supposed to be good for tightening, but how many do I need to working up to? Also are there other good upper and lower abdominal exercises that I can do to change it up? Thanks so much in advance!:drinker: :smile:
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like to run/walk/jog in place and also move my arms in different repitous directions. I got the idea from doing the in home walking tapes from Leslie Sansone (I'm not sure if I spelled her name correctly). I also found a site http://www.vickiblackwell.com/timer.html where I can set the timer to time how long I do it for. plus I like to listen to the radio online, all at the same time. it keeps my mind busy and lets me know of when to stop, when the timer goes off. plus I can also concentrate on how my body feels during the workout.

I'm also subbing to your thread to hopefully learn about how to not have loose hanging skin. :smile: hopefully someone will reply that has good advice
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight slowly, it gives your skin the opportunity to shrink with you. I think a few people here lost 100 lbs and their "after" photos show no sign of loose skin. You might have a bit of excess in certain places, it wont be like the people who have gastric bypass and lose it all in a few months.

Here's something good to work up to .. work at your own pace until you can keep up. It's old so the music is kinda corny but those moves haven't changed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqrkGnkUWc
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would do reps of 10 maybe work up to 100-200 daily *crunches*....I havent lost enough in the tummy to really tell if I will have loose skin but I dont have any on the other parts of my body...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    No matter what exercises you do, they can't tighten your skin. If your skin has been stretched so much that it loses elasticity, you will end up with lose skin.

As for exercises that tighten your lower abs, I like to do plank. If you go to youtube and search it you will find some examples on how to do it.

Good luck.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    No matter what exercises you do, they can't tighten your skin. If your skin has been stretched so much that it loses elasticity, you will end up with lose skin.

As for exercises that tighten your lower abs, I like to do plank. If you go to youtube and search it you will find some examples on how to do it.

Good luck.

I hate to say it but this is correct. I definitely have some lose skin issues... and I feel I've done everything right. I will say, however, that I would MUCH rather have some loose skin than all the fat I used to have.
  • shuttletat
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Keep the ideas coming. :smile:
  • akamaki
    akamaki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've heard that keeping well hydrated helps. I dont know any specifics but it seems to make sense.
    :smile: Drink lots of water!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My "after" photo is in my pics. I lost over 100 pounds 6 years ago. There is loose skin on my belly but it's not horrible! I try to stand up straight in a bathing suit, lol.

I do a combination of 140 crunches every other day. Each set of 20 is in a different position to isolate different muscles. You can tell it's toned beneath the "skin." :-)
  • AngieAllTheWay
    AngieAllTheWay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The elasticity of your skin is influenced by many factors that you generally have little control over. It will help if you are losing at slow pace to give your skin some time to adapt to the changes, but generally it will depend on how quickly you gained the weight, how long it has been that way, how old you are and your genetics. Unfortunately you can really only control your muscle tone with exercise.

I have lost over 100 lbs and I did it over a slow and steady period of time and while I do have some loose skin, it is not nearly to the degree that I feared when I started. I love my new body and a little bit of extra skin is 100000% worth it. I consider it a "badge of honour" :wink:
  • shuttletat
    Options
    Thank You friends for all the advise and information on this! You've really encouraged me and lessened my fears of what I'll be like in my 'after' state. I guess I can live with some loose skin if it doesn't tone up all the way. At my age, I'm sure my skin isn't as elastic as it use to be, but who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be too bad. Wish me luck friends! I'm going for it all the way 1 pound at a time!