Eating Back Calories....I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    so basically, if you are suppose to eat back your exercise calories, then in reality you don't even have to go the gym as long as you only eat to your goal of 1200 calories you will still lose weight.

I don't eat all mine back because if I did, I would be eating all day long. Like yesterday I went to the gym and I did the 30day shred, burning upward of 766 calories. I then had to eat an additional 1280 calories. this is crazy considering I went to the gym at 3:30, there is no way I was eating another full 1280 calories after that time.

When you set up MFP, you told it how much weight you wanted to lose, 1lb, 2lb etc, and it set you a deficit to allow you to reach that target.

If you want to maintain that deficit for the same target weight loss, and you know accurately how many calories you have burned, you can eat those exercise calories back, and you will still have the same deficit so should still lose the same weight.

Some people don't exercise at all and rely totally on MFP's deficit from food, to get their loss. (But obviously exercise has a greater benefit that just weight loss.)

Other set their MFP at their TDEE (maintenance) and exercise to make their deficit.

It all depends how you have set up MFP. Most people go with it's setting to start, and then re-jig it as they go along, once they iunderstand what works better for them.

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    But eating 1200 calories and burning off 500 and not eating them back is not only dangerous, it's stupid as well.

Really?

Could you explain to me in detail how it is dangerous? Which hormonal systems it will imbalance? What feedback loops it will cause danger in? Statements like this are wildly inaccurate and show a lack of understanding of the body.

So would you recommend running a negative calorie deficit daily??? Lets say you burn 1400-2000 calories a day exercising putting you in a negative net calorie deficit is this safe just because you ate those 1200 calories??? Just curious......
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Dang! There's some contentious arguments going on here! Do what''s best for you, but make those calories healthy ones.

I don't "eat back" my calories. Instead, I bumped my calories up from 1200 to 1500. I work out late (7pm or later) after work, then eat dinner. If I had to eat 1,000 calories before going to bed, I'd have serious heartburn no matter what I ate! Plus, I'm concerned MFP's calorie burned estimates are kind of high. I limit my carbs to 110 - 130g a day of almost entirely whole grains, and boost my protein up to 150-170g. It's helping me preserve and protect lean muscle mass - and I do this per professional advice. I work out at least 4x/wk doing both cardio and weight training in 60-90 minute sessions at the gym. I'm 41, and I've been losing about 1.5lbs a week. I think that's a healthy weight loss, plus I'm gaining muscle and strength. I eat 6 times a day, and I feel satisfied. If I felt empty, I'd fail.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When you signed up to MFP, it asks you if you are active, sedentary....yada. It takes into account your activity level..
    So therefore creates a deficit for you already. Which if you did not exercise, you would still lose weight.

Lets say I was Sedentary it gives me 1200.
    Maintenance gives me 1700

Therefore there is a -500 calorie deficit. Which will cause a decrease in weight

Burning calories with exercise means you are into a great deficit. Lets say you burned 500 at the gym...and you didn't eat it.

You will crease a 1000 cal deficit.

Get it now -.-.
  • TracyTucci
    Options
    But does this mean if you do not eat those calories back you will lose more?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The idea is that MFP already has a deficit built in. So the calorie goal that MFP has set for you is already set with a deficit to lose weight, so if you burn 500 calories in a workout, you can eat 500 more calories that day and have the same deficit. However, I dont eat mine back. I drink a post workout protein shake and thats it, usually.

This is true.

I don't eat all of my exercise calories but will a small portion of them. Just do a trial and error. You will learn how many calories you need to eat to continue losing weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Really?

Could you explain to me in detail how it is dangerous? Which hormonal systems it will imbalance? What feedback loops it will cause danger in? Statements like this are wildly inaccurate and show a lack of understanding of the body.

It isn't dangerous at all, because you still have that base 1200 calories.
    [/quote]

You both are idiots.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It saddens me that nobody uses the MFP search button.

click search (the big blue link at the top), type exercise calories in, and you'll return about 50 pages of results. Please paruse them before adding more topics about this.

thanks.

P.S. this is not sarcasm, I'm serious, the search tool is vastly under utilized on MFP, a lot of posts wouldn't need posting if people used this tool.

best wishes,

SHBoss1673
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of debate about this. I am in the medical profession. The simple answer is...Eating too few calories (less than 1200 a day) for almost ALL people is dangerous. It can cause electrolyte disturbances, and illness. If you burn off an additional 500 calories from exercise, and already are eating a significant calorie deficit, then over time, you could not only put your body into starvation mode, but you can make yourself very sick. I just had a a very good friend, who only ate 900 (by her admission to me) calories a day and exercised daily, probably burning that in her workouts. She had a massive heart attack because her potassium was too low from her extreme diet and exercise routine. Now, she did this for a long time, and it started out as her eating 1200 a day and exercising 500 a day, then she slowly decreased the food and increased the exercise over a year or more. I know this is an extreme example, but you need to be careful. I recently had to have emergency surgery and they ran a series of labs, as my heart was having some arryhthmias, and my potassium was low. (I felt like I was loosing weight in a very healthy manner) It wasn't dangeroulsy low, but low enough to cause concern. I am still not a small girl by any means. I exercise daily, and eat 1300-1400 a day, and DID NOT eat my calories back. I eat very healthy (lean meats, proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains) but still had low potassium levels. This was causing my arryhthmia (irregular heart beat), as well as muscle weakness, and fatigue. I have lost 40 lbs so far in 6 months, and feel I have done it healthy. They have found no other medical cause for my low levels, the only thing is the calorie deficit. Please be careful. I have increased my calories and maintained my exercise routine. I have been taking a supplement from the doctor, and eating high potassium foods. I am doing much better and STILL LOOSING WEIGHT!!! My friend died on Dec 2nd, 2011. She had 3 small children, and has left a hole in all our hearts. There are reasons to eat enough calories. This program has the deficit built in already, the exercise is for your health and physique, not the calories. Good luck to you.
  • meli_ssa4
    Options
    so basically, if you are suppose to eat back your exercise calories, then in reality you don't even have to go the gym as long as you only eat to your goal of 1200 calories you will still lose weight.

I don't eat all mine back because if I did, I would be eating all day long. Like yesterday I went to the gym and I did the 30day shred, burning upward of 766 calories. I then had to eat an additional 1280 calories. this is crazy considering I went to the gym at 3:30, there is no way I was eating another full 1280 calories after that time.

Actually yes. The way MFP is designed, you will lose without the gym.

If you are going to work out in the afternoon, it's generally advised that you eat more earlier in the day. If you are going to do the 30 day shred at 3:30, you should be having a bigger breakfast and lunch so you don't eat all the calories after your work out.

I actually had 896 calories in for the day before I went to the gym at 3:30, then I came home and made supper for another 569 calories.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    It means you are in danger of many things.
    Low energy
    Being hungry.
    Yadayada
    Honestly. People asking these questions and querying whether they could lose more (when losing 2lbs a week is healthy) need to see a Dr about eating problems.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of debate about this. I am in the medical profession. The simple answer is...Eating too few calories (less than 1200 a day) for almost ALL people is dangerous. It can cause electrolyte disturbances, and illness. If you burn off an additional 500 calories from exercise, and already are eating a significant calorie deficit, then over time, you could not only put your body into starvation mode, but you can make yourself very sick. I just had a a very good friend, who only ate 900 (by her admission to me) calories a day and exercised daily, probably burning that in her workouts. She had a massive heart attack because her potassium was too low from her extreme diet and exercise routine. Now, she did this for a long time, and it started out as her eating 1200 a day and exercising 500 a day, then she slowly decreased the food and increased the exercise over a year or more. I know this is an extreme example, but you need to be careful. I recently had to have emergency surgery and they ran a series of labs, as my heart was having some arryhthmias, and my potassium was low. (I felt like I was loosing weight in a very healthy manner) It wasn't dangeroulsy low, but low enough to cause concern. I am still not a small girl by any means. I exercise daily, and eat 1300-1400 a day, and DID NOT eat my calories back. I eat very healthy (lean meats, proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains) but still had low potassium levels. This was causing my arryhthmia (irregular heart beat), as well as muscle weakness, and fatigue. I have lost 40 lbs so far in 6 months, and feel I have done it healthy. They have found no other medical cause for my low levels, the only thing is the calorie deficit. Please be careful. I have increased my calories and maintained my exercise routine. I have been taking a supplement from the doctor, and eating high potassium foods. I am doing much better and STILL LOOSING WEIGHT!!! My friend died on Dec 2nd, 2011. She had 3 small children, and has left a hole in all our hearts. There are reasons to eat enough calories. This program has the deficit built in already, the exercise is for your health and physique, not the calories. Good luck to you.

I was just typing this out when you posted!
    Thank you!

If you arent eating enough calories to supply the vital organs with proper nutrients then running 5 miles, metabolic slowdown will be in your future.
    Then we will have to deal with another "i'm eating 1200 calories and NOTHING is happening!!!!"
    We dont want that!

If you dont know your big 3 then you are heading down a dangerous road.

The big 3:
    TDEE
    BMR
    Body Fat%

Eat below TDEE to lose weight!
    Eat above BMR to maintain lean mass...somewhat...
    Know your body fat% because thats really what weight loss is about!

Did you know that the majority of overweight people in the US were under eaters?
    They start eating big...get big then decide to stop eating as much.
    However...they dont lose the weight.

You need to power the vehicle to make it more efficient then create a deficit by working out.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Your body needs calories to function...by exercising away some of its already scarce calories your body starts burning what's around...problem is, our bodies don't always go straight for the fat...it goes for muscle, including organs like our hearts. If you're eating 1200 calories and work off 500 and only have 700 net calories, that's maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of what your body actually needs to function....as much as we'd all love our bodies to go to our fat supplies to get the deficit that's not how we're programmed. The healthiest way to loose weight is to eat enough calories to get our bodies to burn from our fat supplies instead of from muscle.
  • Galish
    Galish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, eating too little is detrimental to your health and you wont have the energy to exercise/will feel lethargic and hungry etc ....but what about very obese people who go on LighterLife or get a Gastric Band? They are eating vastly below 1,200 and yet lose tonnes of weight? x
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options

AHHH HAHAHAHAHA! Awesome!
    saving this for the future when I am in the same situation!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Really?

It isn't dangerous at all, because you still have that base 1200 calories.

You both are idiots.

Thanks ;]
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    I completely agree, eating too little is detrimental to your health and you wont have the energy to exercise/will feel lethargic and hungry etc ....but what about very obese people who go on LighterLife or get a Gastric Band? They are eating vastly below 1,200 and yet lose tonnes of weight? x

That's totally monitored!
    And they have enough fat to lose tbh...People on gastric bands are severely obese, where the weight is more detrimental than them cutting back the calories as well, if they are on gastric bands, then obviously, they are at risk of death already.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1630 calories.
    I set MFP to lose 2lbs a week, that set me at 1200 calories a day, which would only give me a 500cal deficit & about 1lb a week loss instead of 2lbs.
    So I don't eat back my exercise calories & I rarely hit 1200 because if I do, I don't lose at all.
    I ate back my exercise calories a few times & every time I gained weight.

This is the same as me, if I eat them back I always gain. but if I just stick to my goal of 1200, then I see a change

BMR is NOT maintenance, if you're lightly active and your BMR is 1630 then your maintenance is about 2300 calories, 2300 - 1000 is 1300 which is 2 lbs a week weight loss using traditional fat calorie guidelines (3500 calories per lb of fat), now since it gives you 1200, I'll assume you entered sedentary as your activity level, which would get you about 2200 for maintenance (from the above BMR) and thus 2200 -1000 = 1200 calories a day.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1630 calories.
    I set MFP to lose 2lbs a week, that set me at 1200 calories a day, which would only give me a 500cal deficit & about 1lb a week loss instead of 2lbs.
    So I don't eat back my exercise calories & I rarely hit 1200 because if I do, I don't lose at all.
    I ate back my exercise calories a few times & every time I gained weight.

This is the same as me, if I eat them back I always gain. but if I just stick to my goal of 1200, then I see a change

BMR is NOT maintenance, if you're lightly active and your BMR is 1630 then your maintenance is about 2300 calories, 2300 - 1000 is 1300 which is 2 lbs a week weight loss using traditional fat calorie guidelines (3500 calories per lb of fat), now since it gives you 1200, I'll assume you entered sedentary as your activity level, which would get you about 2200 for maintenance (from the above BMR) and thus 2200 -1000 = 1200 calories a day.

Yes I entered my activity level as sedentary, I'm a full time college student & hardly ever exercise, I don't really have the time & I'm tired from the long days at college.
    My maintenance is actually 1800 something, I've had it worked out.
    If I want to lose 2lbs a week, I have to eat extremely low. I lose about 1lbs every week/ (sometimes) two weeks.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Please tell me how an electrolyte imbalance is causes by food when as you know your electrolytes are maintained by potassium and magnesium? These are salts. You do not need to eat food to get them, lo salt will be fine, which is 50% magnesium and potassium.

As I'm sure you're away the heart needs the potassium and magnesium to fire, as do muscles within the body. This however has nothing to do with calories taken in, this is SALTS.