Grocery Shopping

Options
2»

Replies

• rufflestx
    Options
    I was a young wife and mother when "hamburger helper" was introduced, Myself and many other cooks (I worked full time also), could not understand how anyone would pay almost 80 cents just for a box of pasta/rice and salty spices! ! ! ! ! ! Making your own casseroles is a cheap way to cook. Never got into boxed stove top casseroles. Then, OMG, cut up lettuce in a bag!!!!!! I am too old.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Raising and feeding a family can be a challenge especially without using a lot of prepared foods. I appreciate reading the ideas in this thread to help accomplish it in a healthful manner!

One other idea; we eat chili which I prepare at least once a month. It last several days and I have a family of six. I add ground turkey, diced tomatoes and lots of different beans and also salsa to the mix.
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh how I miss Aldi's
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    So I have my list made, all healthy alternatives compared to what I normally buy, for around the same amount. I try to make one big trip a month and then pick up odds and ends every weekend, such as fresh stuff that might go bad if not used right away. Can't wait to shop at wegmans, their site is helpful enough, can't wait to shop at the store. I'm one of those crazies that like to get the most for their dollar and view shopping almost like a game.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have a family of six. ANd everyone who has answered has done about everything that I have. We are moving to Germany so I will be able to add in the Markets. I can't wait for that I love a great deal.