when you just dont wanna go to the gym

zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I had planned to go to the gym tonight. and i planned to go after "my kitchen rules" (an aust cooking show). but when it finished i had to clean the kitchen and i helped my wife put some clothes away then it was 10pm. I was bummed that i didnt go, but at the same time i didnt really feel like going anymore (i go to a 24hr gym, so it wouldnt be closed).

My wife said, im going to bed, just go. Im like, but by the time i get back it will be 11pm etc etc.

in the end she tossed a coin, and i ended up going.

and man am i glad i did. i smashed it tonight. best work out since i started back after xmas.

so what im getting at is this. if its gym day and you dont wanna go. just go, once you get there you will work out.

like Henry Rollins said in one of his routines. "If i can just get my gym shorts on and get out the door, i will lift weights, but if i sit on the couch, i probably wont even lift the remote"

SO GET IN TO IT

Replies

• I agree.
    And they way to get yourself to the gym on those days is to remind yourself about how good you will feel afterwards - and how proud that you actually went.
  • "JUST DO IT" -- go to the gym
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    yeah, i ususally just go, even when i don't feel like it. because the alternative is having the kids drive me crazy all day with no break... so an hour break of "me time" is always a bit motivator for me.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 516 Member
    This happens to me all of the time. I tell myself everything wrong. "I really don't feel like it" "I can make this my day off" "One day won't matter". Then I convince myself to at least do something small, just something so that I can say "I moved" today. Once I get started, I don't want to stop. And then I am SO greatful that I did it. I feel so much better when I am done!
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    If I'm not feeling it, I'll tell myself, at least go and do half your regular workout. Half is better than nothing.

But by the time I reach the halfway point, I'm ready to reach for ten more reps, 100 more calories, whatever - and sometimes even pass the original goal I set for myself. :)

Either way, though, doing half a workout is better than doing none. Just go!