30ds verses bike riding calorie burn

Options
Ok so this is what confuses me....i do 30 day shred by jullian michaels and am sweating horrid, can bearly breathe, and am light headed for 30 mins, or ride my bike and bearly break a sweat for 30 mins and MFP claims i burned the same amount of calories. How is this so. The internet says u can burn 400, 500-600 cals a hr bike riding! So i believe MFP is accurate there, but i enter 30ds or 6w6p and it says the same as a bike ride, unter circuit training! I feel like i burn wayyyyyyyyyy more calories! Since i feel like death is close in hand! Help me understand!!!!!:tongue:

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I see no one has answered. I would like to try to guess why. I believe that weight training in general burns less calories DURING the workout, whereas cardio burns more. Bike riding is strictly cardio, whereas 30DS and "circuit training" involves weights, so the estimate is less calorie burn. I agree...I want to die too, but most of that feeling is the wet noodle feeling of killing it with weights. Of course there is some difficult cardio, but not the majority of the workout. The positive thing is that weight training and building muscle will help you to burn AFTER the workout consistently for quite a long time...and as I'm sure we've all heard...more muscle equals better consistent burning!!
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Thank u shefury! That does make lots of sense! Never thought of it like that before. Its amazing how 3 lbs weights seem so heavy! Im so weak!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. MFP is way out on calories, as it has no idea how fit you are - eg on the bike, it doesnt calculate if you are going off road, up a hill etc. A HRM will change your life!!!
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Get a HRM. MFP is way out on calories, as it has no idea how fit you are - eg on the bike, it doesnt calculate if you are going off road, up a hill etc. A HRM will change your life!!!

Thanks ive been thinking about it! Im very unfit! Getting there slowly tho!
  • chad4charlie
    Options

Yeah, I agree with the above. I was logging my hour long bike ride on a machine, where I monitor my HR, and the MFP calorie estimate was way inflated. MFP lets you adjust the actual calories burned though, so there is that. A heart rate monitor will help you keep closer track of it.