Healthy but filling meals - ideas please!

Options
Hi, I'm sure it's been asked lots of times but I'm sort of stuck in a rut with my meals. I can't afford to buy lots of specific, expensive ingredients to make my meals as I have to think of my hubby and 2 daughters' meals too.

I need lots of ideas for filling, healthy meals please. Basically, atm I'm eating lots of salads with meat/fish/hummus etc, and fish, meat or jacket pots with veg but apart from those things, I'm just not sure what else is substantial enough for my evening meal without either breaking the bank or having too many calories. Thanks in advance. :wink:

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is you're not stuck to eating salad's for the rest of your life and you can use the calorie tool to work out how many cals are in various recipes!

There are loads of things you have at low calorie amounts but I generally find the higher the protein the more satiating for longer the meal is. Tuna is an absolute staple of mine! To keep the cost down you could make omelette's or frittatas?

Also check out recipe books or websites such as GoodFood which have a calorie estimate for the meals. x
  • Geordietyke
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I live by the Good Food website but lots of my recipes are high in calories so I've stopped making them. I'll have to look at their section for low cal meals I think.

I love hummus but discovered that it's quite high in cals and fat so it feels like you're eating healthily but in fact are using lots of cals etc :frown: Is there any other similar, lower calorie thing like hummus I can try with my salads?
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    One serving of red beans and rice is around 300 and something calories and they are very filling. I use this a few times a month.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use low calorie salad cream at 20 cals per tbsp (ashamedly I just love the stuff). Sadly a lot of 'diet salad' creams taste vile - I have tried many. Tatziki (not sure I have spelt that right) is one of the lower calorie dips you can use and Sainsbury's also do an awesome lentil dip that comes in quite low calorie. I just scour all the labels when shopping to find the best thing! I also put sweetcorn on the salad which offers a bit more flavour to the selection! x
  • Geordietyke
    Options
    Thanks for that. I don't usually eat red beans but will search for a recipe. :smile: