How much protien is bad

Options
I have been eating better than I think I ever have before. In my log I am staying under the recomended calories, carbs, and fat, but when it comes to the protien I always go over by 20-40. We are eating lean meats like roasted and ground turkey, lamb, and ground sirloin (not often). This is pushing my protien way over the daily limit. I am doing cardio six days a week. I am eating the protien for lunch after I exsercize in the morning or for dinner if I excersize too early in the morning. I read that if I eat protien after working out it helps build lean muscle. Is that true?

Is this bad?? What are the pros and cons of too much protien. I am completely lost on this subject and don't know if I should cut it back or if I am doing the right thing.

Replies

• joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    I have been eating better than I think I ever have before. In my log I am staying under the recomended calories, carbs, and fat, but when it comes to the protien I always go over by 20-40. We are eating lean meats like roasted and ground turkey, lamb, and ground sirloin (not often). This is pushing my protien way over the daily limit. I am doing cardio six days a week. I am eating the protien for lunch after I exsercize in the morning or for dinner if I excersize too early in the morning. I read that if I eat protien after working out it helps build lean muscle. Is that true?

Is this bad?? What are the pros and cons of too much protien. I am completely lost on this subject and don't know if I should cut it back or if I am doing the right thing.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I find the standard carb/fat/protein ratio that mfp uses to be a little low for protein intake. I actually changed my ratios to decrease the emphasis on carbs and increase my alloted protein intake.

Protein is a vital nutrient, particularly for an active lifestyle. I've read some studies stating that if you are a healthy male, working out consistently during the week your protein intake can go as high as 1g per kg of body weight (the propoprtion is roughly 0.7-0.8g of protein per kg for a healthy, active female).

So unless you have kidney problems, then your intake of protein shouldn't pose a problem for you and will enhance your fitness journey.

Good luck :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Too much protein (to the point of kidney problems) is over 1g per pound of body weight --unless you're a body builder in which case you can probably get away with consuming more. Ideal protein is 0.4-0.6g per pound, depending on how active you are.

Push some of your carbs or fats into protein if it makes you uncomfortable for it to say you're going over. A moderate protein plan is 40% carb/30 fat/30 protein. But use what works for you.